Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been reading the various forums about replacing speakers on my XL. Of course, there are lots of different choices. Anyway, I've just about decided on the following speakers, but I can be swayed. I like Fosgate, JBL, Some Kenwood, etc.

Front door Morel Maximo 6
Maximo Series 6-1/2" component speaker system
Item # 210MAXIM62 $169.00 From Crutchfield

Ford Maverick Need information about a proposed XL sound replacement 1642967198420

Plan on using the component tweeters to replace the factory dash tweeters.

Rear Speakers Morel Maximo Coax 4
Maximo Series 4" 2-way car speakers
Item # 210MAXIM4 $99 pair from Crutchfield

Ford Maverick Need information about a proposed XL sound replacement 1642967314529

There is a more expensive 4" pair - Morel Maximo Ultra Coax 402 MKII
Maximo Ultra Series 4" 2-way speakers Item # 210MU402X $169.00 pair from Crutchfield

Possibly add a subwoofer. Caveat - I'm not a bone jarring base fan. I listen to mostly old rock, Beatles, Buffet, Reggea, Easy rock, etc. I loved the bright full sounds of the Bose car system from the late 70s in my El Camino. At home I have a couple of Bose 301s and 2-Marantz 3 ways (can't remember the model) connected to my Kenwood Amp, Preamp, and tuner set up.

If the base is not too much for me, I was looking at this:

Kicker 11HS8
Hideaway™ compact powered subwoofer: 150 watts and an 8" sub
Item # 20611HS8 $299.99 from Crutchfield
Ford Maverick Need information about a proposed XL sound replacement 1642967485098

Finally I'm trying to decide whether to add an amp or not. Crutchfield recommended this amp.

Morel MPS 4.400
4-channel car amplifier — 70 watts RMS x 4 $479.00 from Crutchfield
Ford Maverick Need information about a proposed XL sound replacement 1642967728805

This is way more than I wanted to spend, but I want to take advantage of the Morel speakers because there are way less expensive choices out there in the ethernet.

I've seen guys here choose a lot less expensive options and seem to be happy with them. I love a well balanced sound. So, here are some questions I need answered by the experts here.

1) Do you think I would be spending more than necessary for a bright well balanced sound?
2) Would something like the JBL Clubman series be good replacements?
2) Do I even need the Kicker Sub?
3) Is there a better choice for a less expensive Amp?
4) Do I need the Amp?

Help! TIA.
Sponsored

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Morel Maximo component set is a good choice. I used the Crutchfield Compare Listening Kit since I was waiting on my Maverick and confirmed those were the ones for me too. I had previously used Kicker KS series in a few vehicles with good results too.

After flimay2k's install, where he used active front stage, I did some research on that and decided to do the same. Here is some good info on active front stage:

I am still waiting for my Maverick, it should be here mid/late February. I have started a pile of audio stuff to install including the Maximos, Kicker HS-10, and Kicker Key. I think the DSP will help. That said, if you want to tinker and spend the bucks, an Audio Control DSP/amp might be fun.

I did find a loopback harness that should work with the Maverick.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Morel Maximo component set is a good choice. I used the Crutchfield Compare Listening Kit since I was waiting on my Maverick and confirmed those were the ones for me too. I had previously used Kicker KS series in a few vehicles with good results too.

After flimay2k's install, where he used active front stage, I did some research on that and decided to do the same. Here is some good info on active front stage:

I am still waiting for my Maverick, it should be here mid/late February. I have started a pile of audio stuff to install including the Maximos, Kicker HS-10, and Kicker Key. I think the DSP will help. That said, if you want to tinker and spend the bucks, an Audio Control DSP/amp might be fun.

Thanks for the info, especially about the Kicker Key Amp using active front stage. It's an interesting concept. I've noticed some guys when replacing speakers do not even replace the rears, is this the same concept as active front stage?

I'll continue to research, but thanks for a lower cost alternative that looks like a better solution than the $479 Morel MPS 4.400.

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
The Morels are a great choice…. I almost went with those exact components and 4”s but what kept me from it is the tweeter shape (I really wanted to keep the tweeters in the factory location).

As for “do I need?”, that’s subjective…. You could probably get away with no amp or sub, but it depends on what you want to hear. Amp or no amp for the kids and highs you’re going to be missing that low end fill in.
That morel amp is a really nice amp, but as mentioned something like the key is probably a more complete solution for you.

as for the “spending more than necessary”, again, subjective but I’d say no…. At the end of the day this set up isn’t that much more than going cheaper and you won’t be left going “man I wish I spent a little more on the morels”

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL

Do you have a link to the loopback harness? I wonder if it’s one of the ones I found that I thought might work (I found a t harness and a loopback harness that seemed like possible solutions)

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Morels are a great choice…. I almost went with those exact components and 4”s but what kept me from it is the tweeter shape (I really wanted to keep the tweeters in the factory location).
The tweeters can be removed from the pictured plastic housing. There's a few different mounting options included in the box or you can fit in something like the Maverick's stock tweeter position.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you have a link to the loopback harness? I wonder if it’s one of the ones I found that I thought might work (I found a t harness and a loopback harness that seemed like possible solutions)
I do not. I have not researched that issue yet, but will eventually.

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

As for “do I need?”, that’s subjective…. You could probably get away with no amp or sub, but it depends on what you want to hear. Amp or no amp for the kids and highs you’re going to be missing that low end fill in.
That morel amp is a really nice amp, but as mentioned something like the key is probably a more complete solution for you.

as for the “spending more than necessary”, again, subjective but I’d say no…. At the end of the day this set up isn’t that much more than going cheaper and you won’t be left going “man I wish I spent a little more on the morels”
This sounds like great advice. I like the reviews of the Morel speakers and from what I've read about them, they are more like the sounds available from the aftermarket Bose speakers and amplifier of the 70s. Bright but well balanced highs, full midrange, and enough base to satisfy me. I'm thinking about the Kicker Key Amplifier instead of the Kicker. But, I might do it in stages. Like the front door speaker and the tweeter replacement first. Then the back speakers. Then maybe even a much less expensive subwoofer. If I don't like it, I can always sell it and buy a replacement. Then finally the Kicker Key Amp. Or conversely, maybe start with the Kicker Key Amp since it has the ability to balance and tune the factory system.

Thanks again BootXL76, you've inspired me to experiment with the sound system!:cool:

OP
OP
uh50

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The tweeters can be removed from the pictured plastic housing. There's a few different mounting options included in the box or you can fit in something like the Maverick's stock tweeter position.
That's what I thought while looking at other component speaker systems that include tweeters. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Thanks again BootXL76, you've inspired me to experiment with the sound system!:cool:
Working on this has made me want to do more…. Kind of woke up the kid in me that used to install systems back in the 90s (and customs in general, not just audio)…. So much so I’m now thinking about ordering a 2nd XL (this time with 4K tow and in a different color) todo different things with than I did with mine.

what I really want to do is order these trims pieces and work on a custom fab “pod” type application for 6.5 subwoofers where I’d do one on each side with the amp in a similar attachment piece to the one I didn’t behind the seats for the amp.
Ford Maverick Need information about a proposed XL sound replacement 2E84D55A-F870-45D3-AC40-DBAFAD4A2AB1

I feel like that whole little side tray next to the rear seat is wasted space and I’d be able to build a pod type enclosure there without sacrificing too much usable space in the under seat bins

Last edited:
Sponsored

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, it is from LLJ Customs This is the Ford Elite (DIY style) A bit spendy at $55 but no factory harness cutting.

Here are some photos of mine:

Ford Maverick Need information about a proposed XL sound replacement LLJCustoms_Harness_1

Ford Maverick Need information about a proposed XL sound replacement LLJCustoms_Harness_2

Stimpy433

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mavrick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Get the 10” Kicker sub, it’s way better then the 8” one.

Qwillex

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav Hybrid XLT, 04 Ford F350, 12 Mazda CX-9
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, it is from LLJ Customs This is the Ford Elite (DIY style) A bit spendy at $55 but no factory harness cutting.

Here are some photos of mine:

LLJCustoms_Harness_1.jpg

LLJCustoms_Harness_2.jpg
How did they handle the shared ground (gray/purple) for the rear speakers? Are they using the solid gray next to the green/purple wire? It would seem to me that it would be the negative for that speaker and I am beyond annoyed about the shared ground as it's causing some issues in my build.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How did they handle the shared ground (gray/purple) for the rear speakers? Are they using the solid gray next to the green/purple wire? It would seem to me that it would be the negative for that speaker and I am beyond annoyed about the shared ground as it's causing some issues in my build.
It isn't a Maverick-specific custom solution, rather a DIY harness. Notice none of the speaker wires are connected. I bought it for the connector shells, it will do what I need.
As for me, I am going active front stage and will likely leave the rears stock and powered from the HU.

My plan is to feed an Audio Control LC2i Pro from the front speakers. It will be mounted behind the glovebox. From the LC2i Pro, I will run two preamp cables to behind the rear seat and into the Kicker Key and the Kicker HS-10 Hideaway. I will run 9 conductor wire back to the harness for the front door speakers and directly to the tweeters.

That's about all I can do with this vehicle (Hybrid). Max current for both the Key and Hideaway total 35A, which is at the max power budget for the Hybrid (unverified, but assumed).
Sponsored

Last edited: