Sponsored

Need Help Deciding - Sell my XL back to dealer or private sale?

jaipi

First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Yamaha R1
Last Summer I got caught up in all the interest surrounding the newly announced Ford Maverick and decided to put down a $100 deposit and ordered one. It was pretty much on a whim, didn't really need a second vehicle since we are retired, and my wife had some physical issues the prevents her from driving much at all. On November 1st it came in and I took delivery of a bright blue turbo XL with only trailer hitch and full size spare as options. To make a long story short it has been sitting in the garage and now has about 750 miles on it and has never been out in rain or snow. I am wanting to get rid of it and was wonder if I should try to sell it back to a local dealer or try to sell it myself, help me decide!
Food for thought, I used the quotes that those places offered me and then used that as what I sold my car to private party for last august when I sold my nissan. Dealerships making way to much money these days might as well skip the middleman and see what someone will offer me.
Sponsored

Revengeman01

First Name
Revenge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Private Sale - If you let the dealer have it back, then that gives the dealer another opportunity to set the re-sale price and stick it to another desperate customer.

Ford (and others) are trying to cut the dealers out of the equation, so they can't turn into scum bags and take "Real" advantage of customers.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a Lariat Lux 360 being built now. 2 months ago I had one come available and bought it too . Only needed one so I sold the first. Carmax offered 36900 - Carvana 28000 - I went on Carmigo they estimated like 36000. I said I wasnt interested. They came back and said hey you have nothing to loose , you can set your reserve to whatever you wish - I set it at 37000 due to the Carmax offer. The auction happened 2 days later and it is actually a dealer auction I found out. It sold for 38700 - Carmigo has a 250.00 fee and the remainder was what I received. They paid off the loan and direct deposited 10700 in my bank account. I made approx. 3500.00 after taxes, dealer security add on doc fees - they did exactly what they said and I was pretty happy. They had a person pick up the truck the next day and while he was there they sent the ACH Payment to my bank. I was skeptical but they actually were 100% legit.

OP
OP

rickon66

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2.0 Turbo
I got an amazing offer from Carvana, waiting on offer from Vroom and Carmax wants me to bring it in. The local Ford dealer won't come near the Carvana offer. Thanks for all the guidance, everyone!

Sponsored

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Private Sale - If you let the dealer have it back, then that gives the dealer another opportunity to set the re-sale price and stick it to another desperate customer.

Ford (and others) are trying to cut the dealers out of the equation, so they can't turn into scum bags and take "Real" advantage of customers.
So far the only dealer cut out has been Tesla thru a loophole by selling from a foreign country. Ford Corporate doesn't even police their own dealers who rip folks off on new car orders. Nice idea but its illegal for Ford ( and others) to sell direct to consumers.

OP
OP

rickon66

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2.0 Turbo
Thanks for all your suggestions. I was planning on driving to all of the local Ford dealers and getting offers but had not thought of the online dealers. It is now in the hands of Carvana and I received about $8300 over the list price(about $6300 over the out door price). I am shocked and amazed!! I just realized I will have to resign from the Maverick Truck Club now with no Maverick.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
Congratulations!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I was planning on driving to all of the local Ford dealers and getting offers but had not thought of the online dealers. It is now in the hands of Carvana and I received about $8300 over the list price(about $6300 over the out door price). I am shocked and amazed!! I just realized I will have to resign from the Maverick Truck Club now with no Maverick.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
This is great news! I am in a similar boat where i am taking delivery of my lariat Lux Hybrid hopefully this week but I will be trading it in or selling it for my Mach E that I ordered a few months after my maverick. I only need one and I want to the Mach E but I was worried that I might lose money.
Sponsored