First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 62 Cadillac, 52 Chrysler, 39 Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with the engine braking suggestions. My 2017 MKZ hybrid would rev so high on steep downhills, it always made me cringe........
Sponsored

Oscarcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Lariat, Lexus NX 300 Chrysler PT Cruiser 5 spd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Our 24 Lariat hybrid,1500 miles, sounds like a spaceship when decelerating. I’m pretty sure its the regenerative braking, but it seems abnormally loud. One time while descending a long 9% grade, it made the same spaceship sounds only almost obnoxiously loud.

We used to own a 2012 Lincoln MKZ hybrid and I dont recall it doing this.

Is it worth mentioning to the dealer?
P.S. I drove my hybrid shortly after my earlier post. I drive down a hill just after turning off my street. I don't use brakes and the Mav holds speed, regen screen is in the green, absolutely no unusual sound, certainly not like a spaceship as you describe. Your Mav has something going on and it warrants going to the dealer, having them write up a ticket so there is a record and taking appropriate action.

BlueRio52

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just had the Ford Mobile unit out to fix the turn signal recall Tech said it went well but took it for a short drive and it made a strahge noise also going down a small grade in the 20 30 mph range. Not sure if everything is starting from scratch and vehicle is learning your driving habit's all over more quirks then i had before.....?????

MaveRichard

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

P.S. I drove my hybrid shortly after my earlier post. I drive down a hill just after turning off my street. I don't use brakes and the Mav holds speed, regen screen is in the green, absolutely no unusual sound, certainly not like a spaceship as you describe. Your Mav has something going on and it warrants going to the dealer, having them write up a ticket so there is a record and taking appropriate action.
You are speaking about things that you do not understand. Your short drive means nothing here.

This “engine braking” is totally normal and happens ONLY when the battery has reached peak charge (70%)

It uses the combustion engine as an air pump to create resistance.

Totally. Normal.

Has been said 5+ times in this thread by now.

flashfearless

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav Lariat Hybrid,2014 Ford Edge Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's caused by the regen braking getting so hot, the engine fan comes on. When you're going down on a big hill with your foot off the brake pedal, this is what happens.