kdragon

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Caliber
Howdy,

I'm hoping to use my Maverick to haul around a new motorcycle next year. What I'm looking at getting is probably going to be around 500 lbs and longer than the trucks bed. I've heard that a motorcycle hitch carrier would be a good solution, but I'm concerned about putting that much weight on the tongue. Can anybody who currently uses a small truck or car this way weigh in?

From other threads it looks like mavrick has a class 3 hitch, but how much tongue weight it officially supports seems unclear. I'm on a hybrid with the 4pt receiver option.

Thanks!
Sponsored

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Howdy,

I'm hoping to use my Maverick to haul around a new motorcycle next year. What I'm looking at getting is probably going to be around 500 lbs and longer than the trucks bed. I've heard that a motorcycle hitch carrier would be a good solution, but I'm concerned about putting that much weight on the tongue. Can anybody who currently uses a small truck or car this way weigh in?

From other threads it looks like mavrick has a class 3 hitch, but how much tongue weight it officially supports seems unclear. I'm on a hybrid with the 4pt receiver option.

Thanks!
I'd just plan on getting a lightweight motorcycle trailer. Easy to load/unload.

That's what I've used to take my bike to the track.

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Howdy,

Thanks!
For a hybrid at 2K lbs capacity the max would be no more of 10% of that. 200lbs tongue weight.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Howdy,

Thanks!
Don't use a hitch-mounted carrier, too much weight. 400# is max. "rating" from Ford, could probably get by with a little more, but why risk it? From 2022 Tow Guide:
Ford Maverick Motorcycle carrier suggestions hitchweight.JPG

Get a smallish utility trailer at Northern Tool, Tractor Supply, Lowes, etc. For just the bike, won't need one with trailer brakes.

If you can find a good used one (or willing to pay for a newer one), consider a Trailer In A Bag or Stinger:
Easy Storage one or two Motorcycle atv scooter or trike trailer In a Bag (motorcycletrailer.com)
Had one of the old style, at the time was around $1k, broken down would fit in Maverick bed. Used it numerous times solo with my BMW's, TX-CA round-trips, TX-AL round trips. 70+ mph no problem.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Kendon trailer light as hell

Sponsored

OP
OP

kdragon

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Caliber
Dang, I figured weight would be tight but I was hoping it would be enough for a carrier.

A trailer probably isn't going to work for me, I don't really have a place to park it (HOA bs) and I would probably be fine driving it, but honestly I'd rather just get a bed extender and load it up so I didn't have to worry about it. I'm not getting anything over 500lbs and 5ft long so that will probably work.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hauled many motorcycles in the back of my 2002 Sporttrac with the tailgate down over a 12 year period with no problems. I plan to do the same if I need to haul one with my Hybrid Maverick xlt.

When you get a chance measure your bike from the front of the front wheel to the contact area of the back wheel. Now as Ecoboost Mavericks show up a dealers go measure one. Corner to corner I think is about 80 inches. Beef up the tailgate straps by putting a solid piece companies make for that purpose. I can't remember what they are called. I made my own.

You could always buy a bike rail/ramp if your bike's rear wheel sticks out past the end of the tailgate when it is down if by only a few inches. The ramp will support the weight over the larger floor area and the end will not buckle. You could bolt it in at a couple of spots and plug the holes when not in use.

I don't like trailering a bike due to the reduced speed limits (that nobody seems to adhere to).

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Kendon trailers fold up and store vertically so you can keep it in your garage. Really nice trailers too. I’ve pulled one several times. I’ll be looking for one used.
Till I find a used one I want, I’ll just rent uhaul trailers as needed for track days. For multi day trips, I’ll have to borrow a trailer.
I don’t trust those hitch carriers AT ALL. 1 bad weld and I’m out a bike.

Mave-Rick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I use a hitch mounted carrier for my Yamaha YSR 50, but wouldn’t want to put anything much larger or heavier on it.

Ford Maverick Motorcycle carrier suggestions B4824DB5-1A07-4397-9091-EA9A4211FC2A

Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dang, I figured weight would be tight but I was hoping it would be enough for a carrier.

A trailer probably isn't going to work for me, I don't really have a place to park it (HOA bs) and I would probably be fine driving it, but honestly I'd rather just get a bed extender and load it up so I didn't have to worry about it. I'm not getting anything over 500lbs and 5ft long so that will probably work.
Kendon motorcycle trailer. Works perfect

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Motorcycle carrier suggestions IMG_0127.JPG

I have used Lowes landscape trailer, trailer hitch rigs (VersaHaul, the best), rental trailers (the worst option, heavy & expensive), and a few years ago found a Kendon trailer. There is nothing as effective as a Kendon trailer. Found this one used for $600. The reason is it so effective is it only weighs 320# but can haul a 900 lb bike, full size car tires, a real suspension, and it is so light you barely know it is behind you. Loading is as easy as it gets. They're available for 1, 2 or 3 motorcycles. My Hybrid will pull this bike from Atlanta to Montana without issues. Standups vertically in your garage so takes up minimal space. Have great resale value since they are so popular.

Last edited:

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Although I own a single and a double both kendon trailers it is still much easier if you can fit the bike in the bed. I also have a hitch carrier I have used to haul a Buell 1125r from Michigan to Florida...and an enclosed trailer...all that said IT IS much better to have NOTHING behind you...nothing to get a flat, nothing to sway...nothing to pay additional tolls...I have hauled bikes tens and tens of thousands of miles in beds and behind trucks. As long as you can safely and damage free get it in the bed it is best in my opinion

Ford Maverick Motorcycle carrier suggestions 20200825_111336
Ford Maverick Motorcycle carrier suggestions 20200705_200951
Ford Maverick Motorcycle carrier suggestions 20180815_182653
Ford Maverick Motorcycle carrier suggestions kendondbl

Last edited:

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Put in bed of truck if it fits . tailgate rated for 400 lbs . so a 500 to 600 lb mc should work fine . if not buy a trailer . I used a foldup from harbor freight . pain in butt to put together but worked fine . I currently have a 6 x 10 enclosed trailer converted into a toyhauler \ camper . drop down door in rear for drive in loading of mc and Murphy style Queen bed that folds down when bike out . Its been out west numerous times and to blue ridge parkway multiple times . plan on using maverick to tow it in future . Old adage ( keep it simple stupid ) .

Ford Maverick Motorcycle carrier suggestions IMG_20151007_174329
Sponsored