Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry, Honda Fit, Toyota Tacoma
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Has anybody modded their tailgate so that it can be unlatched from the inside? I’d like to be able to close and lock down my bed while I’m inside it camping. I can currently do both… i just can’t open it once I’m in. LOL

Looking to not reinvent the wheel if possible but if not I’ll post the mod here once I land on my final solution.
Sponsored

FabMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Simplest would probably be to drill a small hole on the inside tailgate to add a metal rod attached to the handle that you could push/pull like the emergency release inside the trunk of newer cars.

Bigronron

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus rx350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Has anybody modded their tailgate so that it can be unlatched from the inside? I’d like to be able to close and lock down my bed while I’m inside it camping. I can currently do both… i just can’t open it once I’m in. LOL

Looking to not reinvent the wheel if possible but if not I’ll post the mod here once I land on my final solution.
Get the automatic tailgate lock and harness from the ranger. I just did mine and it was so easy to install. Took me maybe 10min. All oem, no splicing any wires. Now my tailgate locks and unlocks with my key fob when I unlock the doors.
Price was around $70 for the lock and $25 for the harness before tax and shopping. Somewhere around $125 for everything.

i can send you the part numbers if you’d like

OP
OP
RAnSD619

RAnSD619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Get the automatic tailgate lock and harness from the ranger. I just did mine and it was so easy to install. Took me maybe 10min. All oem, no splicing any wires. Now my tailgate locks and unlocks with my key fob when I unlock the doors.
Price was around $70 for the lock and $25 for the harness before tax and shopping. Somewhere around $125 for everything.

Thanks. My XLT has the ability to lock and unlock already with my remote. I just can’t unlatch it (yet). I haven’t taken off the cover yet to see what I can do easily but hopefully it’s simple like @FabMav suggests. I’d prefer a mechanical release (versus an electronic one). Without seeing the mechanism inside, I’m picturing some kind of nylon pull strap for the inside.

Some F150s do have an electronic tailgate release feature from the factory. Not really what I’m looking to do but once I poke around I’ll see if it makes sense to attempt to graft that in.

Here is an example of tailgate release mod for a Ram truck so it potentially possible (assuming there is room):

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah if you make another way to unlock it, others could use it

Sponsored

Rednek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2021 Bronco B/D, 2002 f150 SC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think they are referring to sleeping in the box and unable to open gate from inside,would need to have a latch release on inside of gate.

OP
OP
RAnSD619

RAnSD619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Was so curious that I took a peek on my lunch break.

GOOD NEWS:
  1. Interior unlatch seems totally feasible.
  2. Electronic tailgate release is probably doable.
  3. Lots of unused room in the tailgate.
BAD NEWS:
  1. Latch release mechanism is plastic and will probably fail at some point.
MY PLAN:
  1. Sandwich two small metal plates around latch release lever.
  2. Attach small webbing (looped) strap to pull on metal of release lever to pull downward when the tailgate is closed (or towards the cab when the tailgate is open).
  3. Drill a hole/slot in the removable tailgate cover.
  4. Grommet the edges and feed the strap through.
NOTES:
  1. Strap will normally be covered by my bed mat.
  2. The picture below shows the latching and locking mechanisms:
    1. Travel of LATCHING lever shown with straight RED arrow.
    2. Pivot point of LATCHING mechanism shown with curved RED arrow.
    3. Travel of LOCKING lever shown with straight BLUE arrow.
    4. Pivot point of LOCKING mechanism shown with curved BLUE arrow.
    5. Direction of new RELEASE STRAP PULL shown with YELLOW arrow.
    6. As pictured, the tailgate is LATCHED and UNLOCKED.
Ford Maverick Mod to Unlatch Tailgate From Inside? IMG_5929

OP
OP
RAnSD619

RAnSD619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Quick update:

I change my approach and just installed neodymium bar magnets in between the tailgate cover (which I’ll refer to as the “hatch”) and the tailgate itself.
Ford Maverick Mod to Unlatch Tailgate From Inside? IMG_6036

As pictured the magnets were too strong and so I ended up removing two of the magnets (2nd away from each end). Even with four magnets the “hatch” is plenty secure and does not move. The hatch is still flush with the ta

Ford Maverick Mod to Unlatch Tailgate From Inside? IMG_6037

So for my use case, even if it was shut I could quickly pull of my (black Velcro’s) tailgate cover and the hatch and single unlatch the tailgate by hand.
Ford Maverick Mod to Unlatch Tailgate From Inside? IMG_6039

This mod definitely isn’t for everyone but just posting in case it’s helpful to someone.

Side note: I’ve read here on MTC that the tailgate was aluminum. It is most certainly steel.

Deweyordeweynot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dewey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Oxford White / 2018 Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Quick update:

I change my approach and just installed neodymium bar magnets in between the tailgate cover (which I’ll refer to as the “hatch”) and the tailgate itself.
IMG_6036.jpeg

As pictured the magnets were too strong and so I ended up removing two of the magnets (2nd away from each end). Even with four magnets the “hatch” is plenty secure and does not move. The hatch is still flush with the ta

IMG_6037.jpeg

So for my use case, even if it was shut I could quickly pull of my (black Velcro’s) tailgate cover and the hatch and single unlatch the tailgate by hand.
IMG_6039.jpeg

This mod definitely isn’t for everyone but just posting in case it’s helpful to someone.

Side note: I’ve read here on MTC that the tailgate was aluminum. It is most certainly steel.
Definitely steel because aluminum don't weigh as much as the tailgate do. 😁
Another member posted something deriding the need for a tailgate dampener...but my spouse loves it and is no longer asking me to open the tailgate. Worth it. 😉

TCPTX65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Buick Enclave
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you have links, I would like the part numbers/links please.

OP
OP
RAnSD619

RAnSD619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine