First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You’d think it would have been tested before being sold, but who wants to know how safe their vehicle is before it goes on sale?
Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How could it not matter, the eco and hybrid have completely different motors, and the hybrid has a lithium battery?
The battery is tiny and the engine is not a part of the crash structure. The crash structure between EB/Hybrid and FWD/AWD is identical. Imagine the IIHS having to crash test every powertrain combination of every vehicle. LOL

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You’d think it would have been tested before being sold, but who wants to know how safe their vehicle is before it goes on sale?
It is tested before being sold. Internally, by Ford research and engineering, just like all cars today. The Maverick is not an all new platform, remember?

BigT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Testing by Ford is like. PD investigating itself. I’m talking about it being tested by an outside agency and the data being put on the window sticker.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Testing by Ford is like. PD investigating itself. I’m talking about it being tested by an outside agency and the data being put on the window sticker.
It's like Boeing certifying the 737MAX, yes. But it is how it is today. The car makers do their own internal testing and the cars go on sale. They are tested after the on sale date by the agencies. It's my understanding the IIHS buys their test cars, so they couldn't do that prior to the on sale date anyway.

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

How could it not matter, the eco and hybrid have completely different motors, and the hybrid has a lithium battery?
Don't forget, the Hybrid has an E-CVT trasnsmission which seems to be considerably larger and more upright. This alone could help the drivers side offset crash testing.

Kelli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kelli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
None of that should matter for testing. Likely they will test what they can get their hands on. The structure is the same for all models. You will probably only see a difference in IIHS testing where they will test the "standard" AEB system as well as the fusion camera/radar "optional" system for two different ratings.
I think it will matter. I was listening to some reviews. Consumer reports for one, and they say the breaking is different on the hybrid than the gas engine. They were mentioning issues with getting the hybrid to stop in places such as drive throughs. I know they won't test that, still hearing this, I think it will matter.

Egz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 1967 Fairlady
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
3rd party testing ensures that Ford's internal testing is sound. Ford will not release a vehicle is knows would 1-star NHTSA/IIHS testing. If they didn't exist, then I could understand not trusting Ford's testing.

Edit: Okay, let me adjust, Ford is unlikely to release a 1-star. I was just browsing NHSTA and they had one vehicle made in the past 5 years with a 2-star. (a modified Transit van)

Last edited:

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it will matter. I was listening to some reviews. Consumer reports for one, and they say the breaking is different on the hybrid than the gas engine. They were mentioning issues with getting the hybrid to stop in places such as drive throughs. I know they won't test that, still hearing this, I think it will matter.
Car journalist reviews have shown in repeated testing the Maverick hybrid does just as well or better during braking compared with the Ecoboost.

But you are correct when you say that they don’t test braking differences. You are incorrect if you assume the engine/drivetrain make any difference in crash performance. They don’t and that’s why they only test one configuration of vehicle (in terms of powertrain) across the board.
Sponsored