First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is a good read, I found. Another member of the forum mentioned that the Maverick should have been called the Ranchero, I tend to agree with this statement.
The Ranchero started off as a car based truck, utilizing Ford's parts bin, sound familiar? Also, Ford is all about heritage, so what better name to resurrect, than Ranchero, especially since they just did the same with the Bronco name plate. Grandeur visions of wide open spaces and the West.

The Ford Ranchero, America's Iconic Utility Coupe | Top Speed
Sponsored

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Here is a good read, I found. Another member of the forum mentioned that the Maverick should have been called the Ranchero, I tend to agree with this statement.
The Ranchero started off as a car based truck, utilizing Ford's parts bin, sound familiar? Also, Ford is all about heritage, so what better name to resurrect, than Ranchero, especially since they just did the same with the Bronco name plate. Grandeur visions of wide open spaces and the West.

The Ford Ranchero, America's Iconic Utility Coupe | Top Speed

I said this exact thing the other day. I was initially looking at the Santa Cruz, because it was the spiritual successor to the El Camino and the Ranchero. That got me thinking they should've named it that. This is definitely more of a truck body though. I would love to see Chevy bring back the El Camino though, but I don't know what they would base it on. Maybe use the Malibu wheelbase and have a Camaro front end with a truck bed. I'd buy that!

That article was a great read BTW. I didn't know there were that many generations of Rancheros

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Dang, missed out on a couple of old-school Ranchero's at Barrett-Jackson this week,,,,

HRG

Ford Maverick Maverick or Ranchero? B-J Ranchero.JPG

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Dang, missed out on a couple of old-school Ranchero's at Barrett-Jackson this week,,,,

HRG

B-J Ranchero.JPG
I like the 70's models, but that 65 looks pretty nice. I've always preferred El Camino's but I'd be happy with a Ranchero

OP
OP
Mtnflyer

Mtnflyer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I like the 70's models, but that 65 looks pretty nice. I've always preferred El Camino's but I'd be happy with a Ranchero
My fav is the 3rd gen, 66-67, I like the vertical head lights

Sponsored

HIGHvoltage22

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula, 2007 Nissan Titan
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the decision to go with Maverick rather than Ranchero has more to do with how it was being sold in Europe. I was surprised to find out that the "Maverick" has been a crossover SUV for a while now. What we had as the first gen Escape was the Maverick overseas. The Maverick was actually a Nissan for a little while.

Here are the iterations:
The Maverick already has some name recognition with the Escape/Crossover market and Ford probably thought they could use that to attract buyers of their new ute.

That being said, having the Ranchero nameplate back would be amazing.

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think the decision to go with Maverick rather than Ranchero has more to do with how it was being sold in Europe. I was surprised to find out that the "Maverick" has been a crossover SUV for a while now. What we had as the first gen Escape was the Maverick overseas. The Maverick was actually a Nissan for a little while.

Here are the iterations:
The Maverick already has some name recognition with the Escape/Crossover market and Ford probably thought they could use that to attract buyers of their new ute.

That being said, having the Ranchero nameplate back would be amazing.

I knew about the car from the 70's, but didn't know about the Ford Escape version. Found an article online. Glad to see the name gets around.

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ranchero sounds too funny for a Ford pickup truck. But then again, the Fiesta was a huge success so I don’t know.

I like Maverick better.

Sponsored

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can live with either name. I had a 4th and 6th gen Ranchero. My 68 was pretty nice when I got it for 1700.00 and drove it a few years. The 73 was just ok at 2500.00. Neither had AC which is kind of a must when it's 105 out side. Gas mileage was not very good but gas was way cheaper back then.

Besides, Ranchero front ends looked like car models of those years. So what car does the Maverick front end look like?

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Im sure everyone would have been happier if the Maverick was called a Ranchero, since it is a car based truck. And the Mach-E was called a Maverick since it is enviro/eco sporty people hauler.

Ford was just so afraid that the Mach-E needed the Mustang name to be poplular, even though the original Maverick was not far behind the Mustang in popularity in their day.

OP
OP
Mtnflyer

Mtnflyer

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Purchased this a few years ago, my Dad owned one back in the day, but it was a different color. Too young to remember.

?hash=35bb10013b8dae39fa5102ea0d0687d3.jpg
imagejpeg_1.jpg

imagejpeg_0(29).jpg
Sweet, brother

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Purchased this a few years ago, my Dad owned one back in the day, but it was a different color. Too young to remember.

?hash=35bb10013b8dae39fa5102ea0d0687d3.jpg
imagejpeg_1.jpg

imagejpeg_0(29).jpg
That is sharp, nice looking & usable, simple to operate & work on. I would have preffered Ranchero name.
Sponsored