Sponsored

What battery type is in the Maverick Hybrid?

gordon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know what type battery is in the Maverick Hybrid and how to keep it charged for 4+ months while the truck is in storage?
Sponsored

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A standard trickle charger off Amazon will work. It will keep the battery at the required level without over charging it. I have to ask though, is the battery you have in your truck the one that can with the truck?

OP
OP

gordon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The truck sat in the garage for 5 months and would not start. The tow truck driver had a jumper box and connected to the terminals under the hood. Truck started and he loaded on a flat bed. Dealer had to replace the battery under the rear seat as it was defective. No problems now but don’t want to go thru this again.

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well, my experience has been that any vehicle that sits in a garage for 5 months will have a weak 12v battery that at minimum, will need to be recharged. But with a hybrid sitting for 5 months, you will mostly have a dead 12v battery. A trickle charge set up will help you avoid this again. Most of our newer cars today can't sit for long periods of time without some type of charging going on.

OP
OP

gordon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks, I’m a newbie to hybrids so leased the truck for 3 years. Thought I would try one out. I’ll buy a jumper box and a battery tender and keep them in the truck. Wish Ford would make a true hybrid with an ICE and plug in EV.

Sponsored

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with CurtisB. I would also recommend a trickle charger that turns itself off when the battery is full. They're often called battery maintainers.

That way you don't have to worry about overcharging your battery if you're away for a long time.

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Can I ask, if your truck is going to sit for 5 months at a time, why get a hybrid? The Ecoboost would have helped out more with battery storage concerns and still get good mpg. Just asking............

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks, I’m a newbie to hybrids so leased the truck for 3 years. Thought I would try one out. I’ll buy a jumper box and a battery tender and keep them in the truck. Wish Ford would make a true hybrid with an ICE and plug in EV.
Read the manual. It talks about long-term storage.

Any modern vehicle that's going to sit that long needs to be on a battery tender. If you don't, you're causing damage to the 12 volt battery by letting it completely discharge.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

boe757

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, camry,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know what type battery is in the Maverick Hybrid and how to keep it charged for 4+ months while the truck is in storage?
unknown until you remove the cover and look at the Mfg sticker. could be AGM could be "wet".
search AGM or Deep Sleep in the forums for more info

Sponsored

MAVRICKDAVE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Oxford White Tremor 24 XL Atlas Blue Hybrid
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This is to the others on here from an old mechanic... can't you just disconnect the battery or would that cause issues?

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is to the others on here from an old mechanic... can't you just disconnect the battery or would that cause issues?
Yes, you can, but today's vehicles are constantly checking the status of things as you drive and after you shut down, it stores your drive. The computer would be rendered "dead" for a long period of time. I don't know if that is a good thing or not as far as Ford is concerned. Others in here can chime in. But in any case, in order for your battery to maintain a long life span, having it just sit for months disconnected can't be good for it.

MAVRICKDAVE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Oxford White Tremor 24 XL Atlas Blue Hybrid
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yes, you can, but today's vehicles are constantly checking the status of things as you drive and after you shut down, it stores your drive. The computer would be rendered "dead" for a long period of time. I don't know if that is a good thing or not as far as Ford is concerned. Others in here can chime in. But in any case, in order for your battery to maintain a long life span, having it just sit for months disconnected can't be good for it.
Thank you.. back in my day we installed a toggle switch on the positive battery cable in our old hot rods.. Battery was ready even after a year...

CurtisB

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thank you.. back in my day we installed a toggle switch on the positive battery cable in our old hot rods.. Battery was ready even after a year...
Yep, I had one of those too!! On my custom 68 Mustang, I had a hidden "kill switch" to keep it from being stolen.
Sponsored