John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

FYI 13:1 compression requires about 110 octane.

There's your hint right there something is different about the Hybrid engine.
😎
Enjoy your truck, on any regular pump gas.

Ford Maverick Lower Octane Fuel 1699051391198

A little more corroboration:
Ford Maverick Lower Octane Fuel IMG_8545
Sponsored

Last edited:

BlueRaven

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Mav, 01 CRV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i have over 17000 miles on my 22 eb. 90% of the time i use e15/88 octane. i get 25-32 mpg depending on my trips and driving. i used e91 when i towed my small camper from iowa to colrado and back. zero issues with either choices. my only 2 pennies. whatever you do, NEVER buy fuel at love's. its junk. also be consistent. to me the $1 per gallon difference is not worth it for a dd.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

dd= daily driver?

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

FYI 13:1 compression requires about 110 octane.

There's your hint right there something is different about the Hybrid engine.
😎
Enjoy your truck, on any regular pump gas.

1699051391198.png

A little more corroboration:
IMG_8545.jpeg
So 87 0ctane works for a compression of about 8.7, if this is correct 91 is appropriate for the hybrid, no?

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So 87 0ctane works for a compression of about 8.7, if this is correct 91 is appropriate for the hybrid, no?
Well, two things:

1) we don't know the actual compression ratio

2) most octane charts I can find are from 1970's and 80's with carburetors and no electric controls.

Just like a 2.0 liter today outperforms a 6 liter engine from 1970, so do engines today on lower octane.

Octane is a rating based on the behavior of the fuel. But, as the years went along, the behavior of engines changed with more sophisticated controls.

Just like a gallon takes you farther today, lower octane works in a wider range of vehicles today.

Sponsored

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well, two things:

1) we don't know the actual compression ratio

2) most octane charts I can find are from 1970's and 80's with carburetors and no electric controls.

Just like a 2.0 liter today outperforms a 6 liter engine from 1970, so do engines today on lower octane.

Octane is a rating based on the behavior of the fuel. But, as the years went along, the behavior of engines changed with more sophisticated controls.

Just like a gallon takes you farther today, lower octane works in a wider range of vehicles today.
Ford knows and they recommend 91. that is good enough for me. Others not so much. This is likely my very last vehicle, so I am going to use 91. It is another example of the "law of unequal consequences". If I am wrong I spent 10%+- too much on fuel; If the 87ers are wrong there may be engine issues. Since I can afford the extra cost of 91, I will use the higher octane. If one wants to use 87 because Ford says it is OK, that is their choice. I have said all I care to say on this issue. Have a great day and enjoy your Mav's.

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Somewhere I read when direct injection engines are in turbo mode they recycle what was not used up in the combustion cycle back into the air intake and straight to the intercooler. Because of this, the argument for using higher octane is one gets a cleaner burn. Without researching this, it made sense to me.

This is where the oil catch can issue raises its contentious head. Having a oil catch can, my experience is unless the engine is working hard, the 2.0 eco runs very clean (no waste in the can). Ultimately IMO the reason for the higher octane usage is the intercooler getting less gunk in it when in turbo mode and wishfully hoping it helps with carbon build up on the valves.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I now have a little over 2100 miles on my Maverick. Up till now I have only used premium fuel. I drive conservatively, can I safely use a lower grade fuel. 2.0 Turbo
To answer *your question directly & specifically* minus the 8 pages of debate: YES!

For all the nuances, just review the 8 pages (not done yet!) of debate. 🤠

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

PLUS HYBRID AND ECOBOOSTS ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT ANIMALS.

WHY PEOPLE LUMP THEM TOGETHER IS A MYSTERY.
Sponsored