First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for a forum member, I was able to drive ~7 Hours from Corpus out to Odessa to get a reservation that was passed on. XL Area 51 w/ 4k Tow and CP360

If you are in Texas, I cannot recommend Raul at Sewell Ford Lincoln enough. I haggled a bit, but got MSRP + TTL and the only add on was wheel locks, which I didn't mind since $99 was not a big concern when getting a non-reservation at MSRP. The finance department didn't try to sell me a single thing, it was an incredibly smooth process. I have not purchased a car in 16 years, so I was dreading the dealer experience.

Raul got my trade accepted sight unseen, for $500. My car ran with no codes/lights , but was pretty beat up over 16 years and had 230k on it. No issues with trade in whatsoever.

I still have my reservations for Hybrids ( whichever comes first ) but after driving the Eco I have some thinking to do.

My thoughts after a 7 hour ride home:

- I know you aren't supposed to use cruise control breaking in a truck, good thing it didn't have it because it is miserable not having it on that long of a trip. Already ordered new switches, and have a laptop with Forscan loaded and ready to get cruise going.

-Interior Material is definitely on the cheaper side...but even knowing that I understand others that say they stole their truck at MSRP. 100% incredible value.

- No issues with Carplay and the head unit, I know there have been some complaints. My old Toyota as a mid tier with premium audio, and had an upgraded stereo with Carplay that I loved , this one sounds fine for both podcasts and music.

-Road noise - maybe the complaints come from those that traded in a newer model vehicle - but let me tell you road noise at 85+ mph is going to be a thing, and it was about 80% quieter on the Maverick than my Matrix.

- Plastic is going to scratch. Had scratches when I bought it, I have added a few in the last few days. Don't care, not going to obsess, but purchased some 303 Protectant to put on all the plastic.

I may end up keeping this when my ordered Truck comes in, whenever it does, but it is wild to drive a car off lot and appreciate. Out the Door was ~27K, Carvana offered 31.4k. ( not selling it haha, was just curious)

The XL is an incredible value, the main things I feel are missing - HPR color ( but Area 51 is growing on me) push button, ACC, outlet in cab and bed. If I had these on the truck, I would pass on my reservations.

Photo of my tired Matrix, and of my new Maverick.

Ford Maverick Just snagged a Maverick! D7F7A994-4A87-4C34-ADA6-55FC64DCDF9F

Ford Maverick Just snagged a Maverick! 09A53761-9A63-40B5-9A72-DB88015141CB
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
OXHB619

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also HUGE thanks to @Mcluber for posting that this was available.

KenJ45

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Congrats man! Push Button start is WAY overrated. I honestly much prefer a regular turn key. There are so many things that can go wrong with a push button car and several security issues with them as well. I honestly don't get the whole trend where everyone has to have something just because it's trendy. Push button starts is nothing new, race cars have used them for over 60 years. And that's where the trend started, some consumer sports cars based on race cars started putting them but they were mainly just for the race car theme, they didn't really have any real advantages over a regular turn-key, it was just a "cool factor." That's why I think it's kind of dumb how every POS grocery-getter has to have push button start like they think they are race cars or something. All of the concessions they had to make to make it work are just completely unnecessary in my opinion...

HTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Congrats and glad to hear a good report!
Wish I would have jumped on this sooner but happy for you! My 2007 CRV daily driver looks like it’s got a lot more life in it compared to that Matrix ;). I’ll keep hunting. Really can’t decide which engine I want more.

HTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What kind of MPG did you get? I realize it’s not broken in yet. Just curious.

Sponsored

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Tell me about your experience with the 303 Protectant please? How would that protect from scratches? Thank you.

OP
OP
OXHB619

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What kind of MPG did you get? I realize it’s not broken in yet. Just curious.
Around 27-29 for the trip back, a lot of it was 80-85 mph. In town I am getting around 21.

OP
OP
OXHB619

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tell me about your experience with the 303 Protectant please? How would that protect from scratches? Thank you.
Read on here that it helps - it fills in on the darker surfaces a bit. Doesn't remove them, but makes them much less noticeable. I also added it to most of the black plastic on the exterior.

I think I am going to Vinyl where the seat belt buckles whack - or that will look awful after a few months. At the end of the day, I keep telling myself it is a truck, and scuffed plastic isn't the end of the world.

HTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Mcluber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Pepper Red
Around 27-29 for the trip back, a lot of it was 80-85 mph. In town I am getting around 21.
Your highway mpg is better than my hybrid. I only get 27mpg at speed limit (70-75mph) with hills. In town, I usually get around 45-50 mpg.

Sponsored

sn00pyguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sn00pyguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Congrats man! Push Button start is WAY overrated. I honestly much prefer a regular turn key. There are so many things that can go wrong with a push button car and several security issues with them as well. I honestly don't get the whole trend where everyone has to have something just because it's trendy. Push button starts is nothing new, race cars have used them for over 60 years. And that's where the trend started, some consumer sports cars based on race cars started putting them but they were mainly just for the race car theme, they didn't really have any real advantages over a regular turn-key, it was just a "cool factor." That's why I think it's kind of dumb how every POS grocery-getter has to have push button start like they think they are race cars or something. All of the concessions they had to make to make it work are just completely unnecessary in my opinion...
Push button is great. All it does is allow you not to have to scramble for a key. Not worth fussing about. Great gas mileage. Now that is worth fussing about!

Blue1005

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your highway mpg is better than my hybrid. I only get 27mpg at speed limit (70-75mph) with hills. In town, I usually get around 45-50 mpg.
hills or mountains? I got 40 the past few days with hills.

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for a forum member, I was able to drive ~7 Hours from Corpus out to Odessa to get a reservation that was passed on. XL Area 51 w/ 4k Tow and CP360

If you are in Texas, I cannot recommend Raul at Sewell Ford Lincoln enough. I haggled a bit, but got MSRP + TTL and the only add on was wheel locks, which I didn't mind since $99 was not a big concern when getting a non-reservation at MSRP. The finance department didn't try to sell me a single thing, it was an incredibly smooth process. I have not purchased a car in 16 years, so I was dreading the dealer experience.

Raul got my trade accepted sign unseen, for $500. My car ran with no codes/lights , but was pretty beat up over 16 years and had 230k on it. No issues with trade in whatsoever.

I still have my reservations for Hybrids ( whichever comes first ) but after driving the Eco I have some thinking to do.

My thoughts after a 7 hour ride home:

- I know you aren't supposed to use cruise control breaking in a truck, good thing it didn't have it because it is miserable not having it on that long of a trip. Already ordered new switches, and have a laptop with Forscan loaded and ready to get cruise going.

-Interior Material is definitely on the cheaper side...but even knowing that I understand others that say they stole their truck at MSRP. 100% incredible value.

- No issues with Carplay and the head unit, I know there have been some complaints. My old Toyota as a mid tier with premium audio, and had an upgraded stereo with Carplay that I loved , this one sounds fine for both podcasts and music.

-Road noise - maybe the complaints come from those that traded in a newer model vehicle - but let me tell you road noise at 85+ mph is going to be a thing, and it was about 80% quieter on the Maverick than my Matrix.

- Plastic is going to scratch. Had scratches when I bought it, I have added a few in the last few days. Don't care, not going to obsess, but purchased some 303 Protectant to put on all the plastic.

I may end up keeping this when my ordered Truck comes in, whenever it does, but it is wild to drive a car off lot and appreciate. Out the Door was ~27K, Carvana offered 31.4k. ( not selling it haha, was just curious)

The XL is an incredible value, the main things I feel are missing - HPR color ( but Area 51 is growing on me) push button, ACC, outlet in cab and bed. If I had these on the truck, I would pass on my reservations.

Photo of my tired Matrix, and of my new Maverick.

D7F7A994-4A87-4C34-ADA6-55FC64DCDF9F.jpeg

09A53761-9A63-40B5-9A72-DB88015141CB.jpeg
Now time to make it a Texas Edition—

https://www.etsy.com/listing/110276...f=sr_gallery-1-2&organic_search_click=1&frs=1

OP
OP
OXHB619

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Really, I want us to get steps closer to Phone as Key, like Hyundai. If I could authenticate with my phone in the truck and drive off with maybe a backup NFC key card in my Wallet, that would be my dream. No more carrying around a set of keys!
Sponsored