Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Kia Soul Convertble
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My otherwise loved Maverick stinks to high heaven. In service date May 11, 2023. in the beginning, every time I got in it, I had a big stupid smile on my face. I had it to my selling dealer for the problem in October, as by that time, my eyes were watering. They did what they could, as far as looking for leaks or moisture. They found nothing for moisture under carpets, a/c drains fine, NOTHING! I hoped that time would make it un-stink. No luck!

Here if my question: what is under the floor? Is the floor section a single layer of metal, or more like a metal sandwich with space in between, and perhaps insulation? is the metal sandwich opened all the way to the pickup bed? I ask that as I car washed it often, and have had a modular drop in bed liner installed by a total hack, that drilled holes where I don't believe they belong. Also, on the pick up bed led light near the tailgate was full of moisture often. (replaced by my dealer under warranty) I wonder if water got into the floor sandwich and it became a petri dish like environment.

Anybody have pictures of a floor cutaway? Perhaps pictures from a body repair that shows what makes up the floor? Any advice?
Sponsored

Last edited:

golfguy2020

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
does it smell like rotten eggs? my hybrid did that and was worse in the winter - there was a recall for a heat exchanger but im pretty sure i could smell it once in a while on super cold nights like -15 or -20celcius

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

It's the BEAST!

Ford Maverick It could gag a maggot... download (8)

null98115

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Karmann Ghia, Westfalia, Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

OP
OP
Maui

Maui

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Kia Soul Convertble
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am going to bet....something crawled under the shroud and died. When was your last oil change?
3800 miles on it now. I had the oil changed already at 1500 miles at the local to my work (not selling) dealer. I am too broken to do stuff these days, which is why I bought a new car.

MLC2023

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I wish I knew enough about our great little trucks, and car assembly in general, to make a worthwhile suggestion. When you figure it out please let us know.

OP
OP
Maui

Maui

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Kia Soul Convertble
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I wish I knew enough about our great little trucks, and car assembly in general, to make a worthwhile suggestion. When you figure it out please let us know.
I revisited the assembly line video I saw long ago, and the cab floor looks single sheet.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm putting my money on a dead animal somewhere in the engine compartment or under the truck. Have you checked under the rear seat?

mcluvin

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm putting my money on a dead animal somewhere in the engine compartment or under the truck. Have you checked under the rear seat?
I'm surprised they didn't suggest he needed a new cabin filter. He probably actually does. Massachusetts is notorious for mice getting into engine bays and other places. They like to make nests in cabin filters.

Sponsored

Oneeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bag of hot peppers left in the door or stuffed behind something or in it. Food hidden where a person wouldn't look normally look

OP
OP
Maui

Maui

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Kia Soul Convertble
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hi Dad!
(haven't said that for awhile) When at the dealer, I was told they had to take the underside apart to access the a/c drains. They did a cadaver hunt. I looked at the cabin filter and surrounding area, which was pristine. It doesn't smell like death, or out of sight lost food. I looked under all seats, including the rear. Checked door drains to make sure there are no stinky puddles in there. When I pre-start the vehicle with my Ford app, when you approach it, you can smell it blowing out of the cabin vents. I removed the all weather mats and installed my carpeted mats to eliminate those being the problem. Now my garage stinks. Are they the issue, or do they stink due to their environment? Time will tell.. It is breath taking, literally.

Last edited:

Old_Norm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach E 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While attending college (on and off in the early 70s) I sold Triumphs and Volvos. A customer came in and complained about a terrible smell in his brand new Spitfire. A mechanic and I tore the car apart. Under the spare tire we found a British auto workers (we assumed) half finished fish and chips lunch in a bag with the British store's name on the bag.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wife's Kia had a mouse climb into the HVAC ducting and die there. $1,500 quote to rip out the entire dashboard to get to it. We just traded that thing.

mcluvin

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi Dad!
(haven't said that for awhile) When at the dealer, I was told they had to take the underside apart to access the a/c drains. They did a cadaver hunt. I looked at the cabin filter and surrounding area, which was pristine. It doesn't smell like death, or out of sight lost food. I looked under all seats, including the rear. Checked door drains to make sure there are no stinky puddles in there. When I pre-start the vehicle with my Ford app, when you approach it, you can smell it blowing out of the cabin vents. I removed the all weather mats and installed my carpeted mats to eliminate those being the problem. Now my garage stinks. Are they the issue, or do they stink due to their environment? Time will tell.. It is breath taking, literally.
When we went to one particular beach and tracked sand into the car, if it got wet again, it would smell like death in the car. I figured it was from all the microbes in the sand. Had to scrub the hell out of the mats to get the smell out.
Sponsored