Sponsored

Is the Maverick worth it? Aligning expectations.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Morgan33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For me the truck exceeded my expectations.
I have an order out there for a Hybrid Lariat.
I've been waiting since july.
I just bought an AWD XLT with Tow.
I was pleasantly surprised on how it drives.
It feels heavy and stiff. The stock radio is fine for me. I may add a sub. As for the cheap plastic everyone's talking about.
Yeah I don't see ,it looks like every other Ford I've ever drove. The carplay works the same as my last vehicle. I was on the fence and looking at base rangers. I'm glad I didn't. Me and my buddy traded trucks on a 40 min ride. I'll take the maverick. For the guys that are 6 6 and the guys that are 260. You fit like you do in any other car. The driver seat goes up down forward and back. The steering wheel goes and out up and down. I'm 6'3 I can sit on the floor or I can put my head all the way to the sunroof. There's about a 8 inch difference. My wife has the 2021 escape hybrid. She's getting the milage. But she mostly drives in town . Mine is highway miles. There isn't that big a difference there. I figure if my hybrid comes later it'll give me enough time to see if I keep this one or my dealer said I could trade it back in.
The Lariat originally had me because at 32 I could have the features I wanted. On other trucks it'd be too expensive. So yeah worth every penny in my opinion.

Ford Maverick Is the Maverick worth it?  Aligning expectations. IMG_20211117_081242003

GaryHoosier

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Maverick 2.0L XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
NO, PHONES ARE NOT THE MENACE. The users are the menace. (I'm sure you are anti gun as well.) This is the bad thinking, that you need to punish everyone for the bad behavior of others. Should we ban all vehicles because of bad drivers? Now that would save a shit-ton of lives. Maybe we should get rid of the auto-lockout of the onboard GPS system which forces people to use their phones, which is far more hazardous. There should just be an automatic check of phone records for every auto accident to see if the person was on the phone when the crash occurred. If they were, then suspend their DL and mobile phone account.
I read your reply with interest. The rebuttal arguments you've made are certainly worth consideration...yet I remain unmoved, other than to concede to your point that it isn't the devices which are the menace, but the users. I've seen (and personally experienced) too many instances whereby distracted DRIVERS were responsible for mayhem on our roadways. I have simply concluded that interactive TV-screens in moving vehicles are a very dangerous combination. If it's that important, then pull-over and stop to do whatever it is.
I know this is just a pipe dream of course. There are armies of big money lobbyists in every Capitol seeing to it.
As to your presumption that I'm similarly minded about firearms, sorry. Nobody is more pro-2A than I am. I actually reside in Kenosha WI... where most folks take it very seriously, especially after what happened last summer.

Again, I enjoyed hearing your views.
'Hope you get your Mav soon.

GaryHoosier

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Maverick 2.0L XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you for teaching me such a valuable lesson! But to quote a friend ā€œI ainā€™t got time for that ā€œ

To give you credit you did say ā€œNot saying theyā€™re badā€¦ā€ and itā€™s true. 15 years and 215k miles later It started to define what I needed in a vehicle . I thought it a tool, but if an appliance it was an old GE refrigerator from ā€˜64 thatā€™s still keeping your Costco run cold in the basement. It towed what I needed, got down to fishing spots through mud and ruts, regularly had lumber up against the windshield and generally did yeoman duty as a truck substitute. Thatā€™s what I need.

All that said, the maverick is a perfect choice for me and I talk it up like Iā€™m on commission. Is the Maverick worth it? Absolutely. There is nothing on the market today that provides what is valuable to me in a vehicle at such a bargain price. It can also be equipped, modified and accessorized to satisfy so many people.
As someone else said already: Zero Regrets
Speaking of refrigerators, I have a phenomenal story about one for you.
My folks were just recently married, bought one of the very first refrigerators available post-WWII; it was a General Electric model-1 (I kid you not!). The year was 1947. Not a spec of plastic on the thing, LOL.
Flash forward to the year 2021. And that old G.E. refrigerator (mom - 97 yrs young - still calls it an 'Ice Box') is still being used and runs great. In 75-years of nearly continuous operation, it has only been turned-off four times...on the days when they moved between houses. It has never needed any repair, well, other than a refinishing about 20 years ago.
I call THAT remarkable!

My '88 Bronco II (2.9L V6, 2WD, 5-Speed manual) had nearly as remarkable an existence. The odometer stopped working at 178000 miles after which I continued driving it daily for another 12 years. I only finally sold it because I didn't want to put the money into it to get it to pass the next emissions test. Most of the seals were shot by then and I had to park it over a drop-cloth...but it otherwise ran fine.

Both of these machines' stories make strong arguments, I think, in favor of simplicity of design. The simpler a thing is, the less there is to go wrong!
After experience with 2 different CVT's for both Subaru and Nissan, would NEVER own another one of that type of tech. Ford would have to have made quantum leaps forward in CVT tech for that to change. Let's hope that is the case. The 8 speed will be a much smoother ride under anything other than calmest driving conditions. That is one of the main reasons I opted for the EcoBoost so I didn't have to get a CVT. Turned out well since they aren't even shipping the hybrids yet.
Total agreement with you regarding CVT's. I wouldn't buy any vehicle if it were so-equipped.
A friend recently experienced transmission problems with her 2010 Mitsubishi (160000-mi). It was the transmission, a CVT. She had no idea that's what her vehicle had in it. Had it diagnosed by her mechanic, who told her "they aren't really repairable, just must be replaced". But the mechanic had a lot of trouble even finding one, either new or rebuilt. Eventually did locate one in a warehouse in NJ. It ended-up costing $10K, with installation.
I wouldn't have spent that kind of moolah on a 10-yr old vehicle... but chacun Ơ son goƻt, eh?

The 8-speed in my Mav is a well-proven little rig. No CVT's for me!

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, to me, my Maverick represents an excellent value.

That said, as I get to know my trucklette more I see where Ford needed ensure they kept the reasonable price point.

The materials used in the interior are definitely a step down from the F150 I sold. And thatā€™s ok, this isnā€™t a complaint, itā€™s a message to you as you get your Maverick delivered in the interest of being real. Iā€™ve zero regrets and yes, it is worth the wait. For $30,650 I feel like I got one hell of a deal.

I open the doors from the inside gingerly being afraid I might rip them out. They feel very light. Every knob feels light and lacking substance.

Several of the exterior plastics have seams that donā€™t align perfectly. Close, but not 100%.

I hope you enjoy your Mavericks as theyā€™re delivered to you!
I've said in other posts that I had looked at every mid size truck and seriously considered the Ranger, Colorado, or Canyon. I also considered a Ram Quad, but didn't like the Ride height or my inability to actually work out of the bed since I'm short. I don't buy foreign brands and have very mixed feelings about the Ram brand now, since they are owned outright by Stellantis. At least with Fiat, Chrysler was a partner. I loved the idea of the Santa Cruz when I first saw it and like what I see of the Frontier. But not buying foreign brands and not caring for the persistent growth of all pickups became a dilemma for me.

I saw several older generations of Dodge Dakotas, Ranger special editions, Sonoma ZRX, Tsunami, or Jeep Commanders with low mileage. I found two 2000 Dodge Dakotas that were essentially new, but low mileage exanokes of all of those trucks listed were 30K plus. Which was ok because I was about to start my search in earnest when Ford announced the Maverick in early June.

First, I loved the looks of the Maverick. Squared off with rounded corners it looked a little retro with modern design touches. I loved the look of the old school steelies and the base interior, but also the modern technology, especially safety features. I loved that a 3,700 lb truck had 250 HP with the possibility of more. I love the dark interior of the XL. The Maverick met all of my requirements. Between June and Oct. 6, I must have priced out 125 different configurations and have an extended list of pros/cons of each trim. Turns out that the XL checked all my boxes except cruise and Sirius XM, which I will add. So, I paid a lot less for my Maverick than a 21 year NOS Dodge Dakota.

I'm 75 years old and feel like I just bought my first car, a 1953 Studebaker Skyliner, or my first new vehicle in 1965, or my 1966 Corvette 427/425 HP. The Maverick does that for me. Was it worth it for me? Yeah, it is.
Sponsored