First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve been on the Ford website and priced a Maverick, just haven’t hit the “order” button. I’ve also been to two local Ford dealerships. Of course, the dealership thinks you should let them input the order. Not sure which is best to expedite the process…

But my biggest concern is the down payment. I’ve read comments on this forum where some people have gotten a written agreement from their dealer that they are under no commitment, and IF after seeing the vehicle decide they don’t like it, they are under no obligation to buy. I discussed this with my dealer, and the salesman kinda shrugged his shoulders and said that if I walked away that I would forfeit my deposit.

What is your experience? I know the Ford website automatically pre-populates with a 10% deposit, but you can change that. I just don’t know if Ford will actually accept and process the build without a down payment. Did you all make a deposit? And if you enter the order directly online yourself, how do you get them the money?

Thanks from Kentucky!
Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Go to another dealer...I would never put down a deposit for any vehicle not given an option to drive it and or knowing it might not show up for 6 months or longer. My dealer did not require a deposit since even he did not know when they would be available....if someone walks away from an order (deposit or not) the dealer will probably sell the Maverick in a matter of hours...and your deposit will simply add to their profit margin. If ordering from a remote dealer(like over the internet) the dealer has to have a security deposit (to cover the shipping costs - usually $1,400/non-refundable) that will not be refundable....even if you have not seen the vehicle.

I'd doubt if Ford even knows if you put up a deposit...deposits are between you and the dealer, not Ford.

Last edited:

JamestownND!

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chev
My Dealer said no problem. Once it comes and I change my mind I will get my deposit back. He said he would have it sold before I could get to my vehicle.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's up to the dealer whether or not to require a refundable deposit. Also, you can't really order a Maverick online. You can just build it and send it to a dealer, who is supposed to contact you to order your truck.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Go to another dealer...I would never put down a deposit for any vehicle not given an option to drive it and or knowing it might not show up for 6 months or longer. My dealer did not require a deposit since even he did not know when they would be available....if someone walks away from an order (deposit or not) the dealer will probably sell the Maverick in a matter of hours...and your deposit will simply add to their profit margin.

I'd doubt if Ford even knows if you put up a deposit...deposits are between you and the dealer, not Ford.
Deposits are refunded if you don't buy the vehicle. There are regulations about that.

Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Deposits are refunded if you don't buy the vehicle. There are regulations about that.
Each state's laws vary. Vehicles custom ordered (per customer specified options, bed liners, racks, colors, roof racks, etc.) are frequently non refundable depending on the Dealership's contract.)

Last edited:

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
I ordered four months ago so things might be different now but back in June no deposit/down payment was required and using Fords website to build your truck was the preferred way to do it. Then go down to the dealership to sign some paperwork and make a photocopy of my DL.

When I went in to sign the paperwork a few days later I asked my sales rep about what happens if the truck comes in and we don't like it would we still be on the hook to buy it? He said absolutely not. With the options we picked they would have no problem selling the truck to someone else.

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Each state's laws vary.
No state allows dealerships to keep your deposit on a vehicle that hasn't been built or inspected by the buyer.

Enderet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
I’ve been on the Ford website and priced a Maverick, just haven’t hit the “order” button. I’ve also been to two local Ford dealerships. Of course, the dealership thinks you should let them input the order. Not sure which is best to expedite the process…
You cant actually order it yourself. You will have to go to a dealer to get the order done.

Regarding the deposit. My experience was that I saw two different dealers with stock units on the way to their lots. I reached out to both about wanting to reserve the stock unit that they were about to get. One dealership said, yes, no problem, if you want it it is yours, but you need to put down a nonrefundable $500. They said in the case I back out of the deal, that the salesmen would divide the money between themselves.

The second dealership said yes, no problem, if you want it is yours, but you need to put down a refundable $500.

I ended up leaving my money with both of them, and ultimately ended up cancelling the refundable one because the non-refundable came in first. When I called them to cancel and ask for my money back it was a no hassle experience. The money was back on my card within 2 days. When I went to pick up the truck, the dealership that I actually bought the car from, asked me if I wanted the $500 back on my card or if I wanted to apply it to the principal of the vehicle.

jc888888888

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat eco boost, Mustang Mach E , Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No deposit required from my dealer in Florida. He happily said we have 50 people to buy your truck when it comes if you dont want it:)

901Kenobi

First Name
DANIEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2006 BMW X3, MB GLC300
Seems some folks are confusing the terms “deposit” and “down payment”... similar, but different animals.
Sponsored