First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT FX4 lux Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I don’t plan on doing it at all to be honest. This was more a trial for content. My question pertains more to larger appliances in general. I use my truck outlet to do misc. tasks up in the mountains. A couple weeks ago I realized that the bed outlet wouldn’t run a sawzaw. Granted, this was a beefier sawzaw, but it started my gears turning of what could it run. I don’t want to have to bring a generator with me when working up in the mountains when already hauling other things, so I’d like to be able utilize the rear outlet for more things, if there was a way to do so safely. It actually blew my mind I could even create a spark with the century. I assume because the inverter style draws less amperage. However, as you see not nearly enough to perform a proper weld. We have a welder that generates its on power already, it’s just a pain to breakout. I’ve had to weld one thing in the past year. So, this will not be its intended application. More likely, random one offs.
Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

You're going to need at a 1800 watt inverter minimum to give you 15 amps. If your serious about running your stick welder in the feild and want to be able to do 1/4" plate run a 2400 watt inverter. You will need 14 ga copper wire to carry the current at <3% drop. Make sure to give that new inverter more air flow to make sure you don't trip the thermal overload when doing some serious welding. Also, do you have a fire extinguisher with you when welding?
I think 1/4" would be pushing it. Sure would be nice if it was at least 2 or 3kw in the bed. Make for a real work truck.

Ottocycle

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' RS6 Avant, 14' CTS-V Wagon, 87' BMW 535is
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think 1/4" would be pushing it. Sure would be nice if it was at least 2 or 3kw in the bed. Make for a real work truck.
I wouldn't disagree on either statement. Could come in handy down here in the land of freedom when those damn commiecanes come through and interrupt my Americanin. That and on the farm. There is just some things that battery power can't replace.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had preordered the Mav in Sept of 21. I was diagnosed in Dec of 21. I wanted to cancel the order but my wife wouldn’t let me. She wanted me to maintain something to look forward to. It was delivered in June while I was hospitalized. Took me a week after I was discharged to finally get up enough strength to drive it for the first time. I’m so glad she wouldn’t let me cancel!
Glad to hear you are up, out, and sounding in good spirits!
Sponsored