I need your help – Mabett’s side marker iights

AbnRgr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 944NA, Mazda Miata, PT Cruiser Conv.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I spent a good part of the last two days first installing Mabett’s side marker lights and then attempting to get the passenger side marker to work. Prior to beginning the install, I reviewed Fred’s Garage’s step-by-step YouTube installation video. (Fred thanks for producing the video.) I replaced the included wire taps with better pieces drawn from my bench stock. The light’s wires were passed through plastic wire wraps before routing to the headlight and turn indicator connectors to prevent the possibility of a short being caused by rubbing against sharp metal edges. The driver’s side marker worked fine as advertised. Not so with the marker on the passenger side.

The yellow wire went to the blue and green wire at the brown connector. As I look at the black connector looking forward. Left to right, the wires are blue, brown, black, and grey/blue. The marker’s red wire was initially tapped into the grey and blue stripped wire. The marker light came on and the turn blinker worked, but the steady light would not go off at any of the positions on the dashboard light switch. The brown wire resulted in the blinker working but nothing else. The blue wire gave the same result as the brown. I guess if I have a working turn indicator I’m half there. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem. If so, were you able to resolve the problem.

I really like what I see on the side that works. I appreciate the enhanced appearance and additional safety factor of greater visibility. I also need to call our Mabett’s representative to MTC. When I explained the situation with their product, there was no hesitation in offering a refund. I guess I’ll join the club of those waiting for Amazon to restock the markers.
Sponsored

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I spent a good part of the last two days first installing Mabett’s side marker lights and then attempting to get the passenger side marker to work. Prior to beginning the install, I reviewed Fred’s Garage’s step-by-step YouTube installation video. (Fred thanks for producing the video.) I replaced the included wire taps with better pieces drawn from my bench stock. The light’s wires were passed through plastic wire wraps before routing to the headlight and turn indicator connectors to prevent the possibility of a short being caused by rubbing against sharp metal edges. The driver’s side marker worked fine as advertised. Not so with the marker on the passenger side.

The yellow wire went to the blue and green wire at the brown connector. As I look at the black connector looking forward. Left to right, the wires are blue, brown, black, and grey/blue. The marker’s red wire was initially tapped into the grey and blue stripped wire. The marker light came on and the turn blinker worked, but the steady light would not go off at any of the positions on the dashboard light switch. The brown wire resulted in the blinker working but nothing else. The blue wire gave the same result as the brown. I guess if I have a working turn indicator I’m half there. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem. If so, were you able to resolve the problem.

I really like what I see on the side that works. I appreciate the enhanced appearance and additional safety factor of greater visibility. I also need to call our Mabett’s representative to MTC. When I explained the situation with their product, there was no hesitation in offering a refund. I guess I’ll join the club of those waiting for Amazon to restock the markers.
Mine were the same when I followed Fred’s garage video… passenger side stayed on continuously, but the turn signal worked fine. What I did to fix (found this somewhere but can’t remember where)… on the black headlight connector, I moved the wire from the one Fred said, over to the other thick wire. Can’t remember the color. That black connector plug has 4 wires, 2 of them are heavier gauge than the other two. Fred said to use the one, but it’s actually the other one. The light works as intended now, after that change. Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
AbnRgr

AbnRgr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 944NA, Mazda Miata, PT Cruiser Conv.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for your response. I eventually tapped into all three non-ground wires coming off the black connector. The best I accomplished was tapping into what appeared to be a brown wire which gave me the turn indicator but nothing else. I’m left to think I may have a faulty unit. I appreciate that Mabett is refunding my purchase. I’ll give it another try once they are restocked.in Amazon.

dc73pdsgt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I agree with generalmgr and I did the same thing, used the other thicker wire and mine work fine. I wasn't. fan of these when I first saw them but now that I have them on my truck I love the look. especially at night when the the light is on with the headlights.

smoreho2

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Hybrid (October 2023)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Same thing happened to me. I have not done my second side yet, but I'm sure I will be fine by NOT paying attention to the color wires (they are different apparently on MY's versions?). Pay attention to the correct LOCATION in the connector (top, middle, bottom etc) from Fred's Garage video. If you look closely, the video show you the position of the correct wire. Once you have 1 side working, use same wires on the other side. Have EXTRA T-splice connectors as I dropped two and I had to order this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XMJ5KTY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

NOBODY had them locally after going three places
Sponsored