psuarmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
very cool, do you have links to the parts. What is the part number for the bed storage cubby?
I linked the lights and switch on my first post. The socket outlets are from amazon as well, any ones will work. I don't know the part number for the storage cubby. I just ordered it from my dealer.
Sponsored

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I made two modifications to the bed of the truck with the included 12V power access points near the tailgate.

First I bought a second bed storage cubby for the driver side since the XLT is only a cover and wanted to add a 12V socket and USB charger inside the storage cubby. I bought this dual socket from Amazon. It has covers and the USB has a USB C plug and a power switch built in so it is not always on and I didn't want/need a dedicated socket for a switch. As you can see my Lowes bolts for the cubby are rusting so I will need to go to Ford and get proper replacement bolts.

Also factory spray in liner doesn't cover everything when you add the cubby. The edges of the cubby are smaller than the cover that came with the truck. I bought a can of spray bed liner just to touch up the 1/8th to 1/4 of inch around the new cubby edges.

The sockets themselves were a pain to install because of the location. I had to take the cubby out and install the faceplate. I then had to install the sockets with only one turn on the backing screws. There was barely any room to slide the sockets past. After I fished the cubby with the loose sockets into place I had a very small gap to stick a long screwdriver into to finish tightening the screws a little at a time. It took a long time but I wanted to sockets facing the way they are for easier access.

You can see the little on/off switch on the right of the USB plugs.

Cover.jpg

USB.jpg

I bought a second pigtail from Ford so I could install lights with the power access on the other side.

I bought these lights from Amazon

I bought this switch from Amazon

The light strips were too long, but I cut them to length and filled the ends with silicone. I cut the plugs and the switch that came with it off. On the drivers side I added 5 feet or so of wire and ran it under the bed. I dropped the spare and zip tied it wherever I could. I then fished it up the passenger side and out the access near the tailgate. The passenger side was much easier since the wire dropped straight down. I had to take both back tail lights off to make this work.

I had a replacement cover for the power access point 3d printed. The print came from here on Thingiverse. It took a few tries and some filing to get it to fit right. I then drilled a hole for the switch and soldered it all together 3 times. The first two I had a short, didn't know it and blew fuses. My neighbor then showed me my mistake and we got it right.

I don't know how well the 3M tape will hold the light strips up over time. so far they are holding. I have replacement tape if I need it.

now I have a flush subtle switch that had a blue light when on and LED lights that are hidden up under my tonneau cover rails. You have to almost lay in the bed to see the lights or any wires.
switch off.jpg

switch on.jpg

lights.jpg

night view.jpg

Great write up, thanks for sharing

mavn00b

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I made two modifications to the bed of the truck with the included 12V power access points near the tailgate.

First I bought a second bed storage cubby for the driver side since the XLT is only a cover and wanted to add a 12V socket and USB charger inside the storage cubby. I bought this dual socket from Amazon. It has covers and the USB has a USB C plug and a power switch built in so it is not always on and I didn't want/need a dedicated socket for a switch. As you can see my Lowes bolts for the cubby are rusting so I will need to go to Ford and get proper replacement bolts.

Also factory spray in liner doesn't cover everything when you add the cubby. The edges of the cubby are smaller than the cover that came with the truck. I bought a can of spray bed liner just to touch up the 1/8th to 1/4 of inch around the new cubby edges.

The sockets themselves were a pain to install because of the location. I had to take the cubby out and install the faceplate. I then had to install the sockets with only one turn on the backing screws. There was barely any room to slide the sockets past. After I fished the cubby with the loose sockets into place I had a very small gap to stick a long screwdriver into to finish tightening the screws a little at a time. It took a long time but I wanted to sockets facing the way they are for easier access.

You can see the little on/off switch on the right of the USB plugs.

Cover.jpg

USB.jpg

I bought a second pigtail from Ford so I could install lights with the power access on the other side.

I bought these lights from Amazon

I bought this switch from Amazon

The light strips were too long, but I cut them to length and filled the ends with silicone. I cut the plugs and the switch that came with it off. On the drivers side I added 5 feet or so of wire and ran it under the bed. I dropped the spare and zip tied it wherever I could. I then fished it up the passenger side and out the access near the tailgate. The passenger side was much easier since the wire dropped straight down. I had to take both back tail lights off to make this work.

I had a replacement cover for the power access point 3d printed. The print came from here on Thingiverse. It took a few tries and some filing to get it to fit right. I then drilled a hole for the switch and soldered it all together 3 times. The first two I had a short, didn't know it and blew fuses. My neighbor then showed me my mistake and we got it right.

I don't know how well the 3M tape will hold the light strips up over time. so far they are holding. I have replacement tape if I need it.

now I have a flush subtle switch that had a blue light when on and LED lights that are hidden up under my tonneau cover rails. You have to almost lay in the bed to see the lights or any wires.
switch off.jpg

switch on.jpg

lights.jpg

night view.jpg

So I bought the same setup as you, lights and switch. Now they’ve arrived, I don’t see a way to ground them.

1. Did you ground yours?
2. For any electrical experts, should I be grounding the switch? My thought was, I could just wrap a bare copper wire around the metal part of the switch and ground it to where the tail light is grounded. Thoughts?

OP
OP

psuarmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I bought the same setup as you, lights and switch. Now they’ve arrived, I don’t see a way to ground them.

1. Did you ground yours?
2. For any electrical experts, should I be grounding the switch? My thought was, I could just wrap a bare copper wire around the metal part of the switch and ground it to where the tail light is grounded. Thoughts?
I didn’t ground them. Bothe items are just connected to the pigtail that came with the truck. I bought a second pigtail adapter for the switch for the lights.

JamesC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didn’t ground them. Bothe items are just connected to the pigtail that came with the truck. I bought a second pigtail adapter for the switch for the lights.
Do you happen to have a link for the pigtail adapter? My truck didn't come with one, I checked everywhere.

Sponsored

OP
OP

psuarmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you happen to have a link for the pigtail adapter? My truck didn't come with one, I checked everywhere.
I don't sorry. The dealer I bought my truck from is a pretty customer friendly place. I sat with the parts guy for about 20 minutes looking through their computer until we found it. I don't see a way on the website to see purchase history. If I can remember I will try to call them this week to try to get the part number. But any dealers part department should be able to find it.

Also I ordered an extra bed cubby storage and they accidentally ordered the bed tool swing storage box. It took a while to find that as well, but I had an early truck before they were as aware of ht new items.

They might not be the closest Ford dealer to me, but decent dealers are worth it.

Edit.

Quick google search:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144875097674

I believe it is a generic connector that has other uses. Easy to find.