Hypermiling ~50 MPG and over 600 miles per tank on Eco Mode

KimTexas

First Name
Berly Ann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid - 🌵 Grey
Today, my average is 44.81 mpg 622.5 total miles for this tank. I average around 42 mpg, mixed driving 85 hwy, 15 city. I've driven in normal mode since the day I took possession and only play occasionally in sport! I started using eco mode with cruise the last 100 miles on this tank just to see if it made that big of a difference. I gained 36 miles in just the last 100 miles to E! I'm convinced it'll do even better so this tank will be 100% eco & cruise when possible

Ford Maverick Hypermiling ~50 MPG and over 600 miles per tank on Eco Mode 20220416_133604

Ford Maverick Hypermiling ~50 MPG and over 600 miles per tank on Eco Mode 20220416_134210
Sponsored

Gaucholoco

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't tow anything. Light hauling random stuff on the weekends. Mostly bikes and stuff from hardware store. Will test the bed soon with bags of concrete or paverstones. I had the spayed aftermarket.
Nice to see that you had it spayed. You must be a fan of Bob Barker.

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Today, my average is 44.81 mpg 622.5 total miles for this tank. I average around 42 mpg, mixed driving 85 hwy, 15 city. I've driven in normal mode since the day I took possession and only play occasionally in sport! I started using eco mode with cruise the last 100 miles on this tank just to see if it made that big of a difference. I gained 36 miles in just the last 100 miles to E! I'm convinced it'll do even better so this tank will be 100% eco & cruise when possible

20220416_133604.jpg

20220416_134210.jpg
Funny I got gas today (third tank ever) and got 50 dollars at 13.186g.

My mpg hasn't been as stellar. I'm at 1,597mi. Was full from the dealer, I filled it up early because I was going to spend a lot of time in PA when I would've run out (prices are much much higher than Ohio). And this last tank I put four gallons in it before parking it for over a month.

Of those 1597mi over 800 of them were pulling a trailer that was mostly freeway driving (anywhere from 23 to 26mpg). Total pulled was about 1300 for a third, empty 500lb trailer for a third, and about 800lb for a third of those 800.

Being in the north, climate control really hurts mpg but I've gotten smarter at keeping the heat off until the engine had to run and then turning it on once the coolant goes up two bars.

Total mpg since 8mi at the dealer has been 31mpg. Most non-trailer runs are in the 40s and trips to take my daughter to or from school sometimes hit 50s thanks to all city roads and slow 35mph speeds max.

Either way, I'm happy. My old Buick got 25mpg mostly and 28 on a good day. And 20 on bad days.

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Funny I got gas today (third tank ever) and got 50 dollars at 13.186g.

My mpg hasn't been as stellar. I'm at 1,597mi. Was full from the dealer, I filled it up early because I was going to spend a lot of time in PA when I would've run out (prices are much much higher than Ohio). And this last tank I put four gallons in it before parking it for over a month.

Of those 1597mi over 800 of them were pulling a trailer that was mostly freeway driving (anywhere from 23 to 26mpg). Total pulled was about 1300 for a third, empty 500lb trailer for a third, and about 800lb for a third of those 800.

Being in the north, climate control really hurts mpg but I've gotten smarter at keeping the heat off until the engine had to run and then turning it on once the coolant goes up two bars.

Total mpg since 8mi at the dealer has been 31mpg. Most non-trailer runs are in the 40s and trips to take my daughter to or from school sometimes hit 50s thanks to all city roads and slow 35mph speeds max.

Either way, I'm happy. My old Buick got 25mpg mostly and 28 on a good day. And 20 on bad days.
Two questions…….
Ecoboost or hybrid?
If hybrid, did you do anything special to let it sit for a month?
What if it was going to be more than a month? Other than that which is stated in the owner’s manual, any other precautions for long term storage?
(Oh,Oh…….thread drift!)

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Two questions…….
Ecoboost or hybrid?
If hybrid, did you do anything special to let it sit for a month?
What if it was going to be more than a month? Other than that which is stated in the owner’s manual, any other precautions for long term storage?
(Oh,Oh…….thread drift!)
Haha. No I didn't do anything. In fact it sat outside. I didn't expect it to be parked that long. I didn't leave the keys with someone to start it and move it around or put it in the garage.

Sponsored

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Haha. No I didn't do anything. In fact it sat outside. I didn't expect it to be parked that long. I didn't leave the keys with someone to start it and move it around or put it in the garage.
Sorry to repeat, but, just to confirm, hybrid, right?

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry to repeat, but, just to confirm, hybrid, right?
Oh. Yeah. Sorry.

Went into sleep mode about a month in. Started right up when I got there. And the keyless entry unlocked the doors with no problem.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP, impressive results, the potential is certainly there.

Look forward to seeing what my EB can do when coerced accordingly, for both FE & performance. I like the Jekyll & Hyde approach, as I did with with my tuned F150. Capable of a 4.6 0-60, and 28 mpg at 55 mph, on the same tune. I would expect the Mav to be a little slower, but with better FE, once tunes from LMS become available.

Sponsored

Sykotyk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Isn't that one of the 360 features? I don't know. Don't have it. Just use Google maps with my phone plugged in.

Rolandus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi Everyone,

Since I got my XLT Hybrid in January the tank has only been topped off 3 times. Once by the dealer and twice by me. I am currently at 1400 miles and still have just over half a tank.

I live in San Jose, CA so I have a mix of freeway and city driving. I commute to work early (5:30 AM) so there is little traffic. My commute home has traffic on the way home. Before my Maverick I would drive 5-10 mph over the posted speed limit. Since then I have been driving at the posted limit (what a grandpa right?) unless traffic is heavier and doing so is causing a line to form behind me.

To start off I have been driving Eco Mode most of time. There were a few times I forgot to switch modes, and a couple where I needed to get to the other side of town ASAP and left it in normal mode. When I first learned about the EV coach I noticed that the EV mode turns off if you are accelerating over 15-20% power. Since then from a complete stop I would accelerate using 10-15% power until reaching the posted speed limit. If the ICE is engaged at the posted speed limit, I would set the cruise control to the posted speed and accelerate 5-8 mph over it. As the speed drops to the set cruise speed most of the time it will switch to EV. While I knew this would happen often on residential and arterial streets, I was surprised to see that the EV would engage around 65mph too. Since there is no EV battery gauge I don't know it switches back to ICE due to the battery being low, or due to needing more power. This makes me wonder if the MPG could reach 60 if the battery pack was larger. I do not have the adaptive cruise control so I am using the wheel controls often.

After getting a feel of the regenerative braking I have been coasting to a stop more than I did in a ICE. When I over under estimate the coasting distance I tap the throttle since it is usually on EV mode.

My morning commute to work is 16.9 miles. On average 38-42% of that distance cover by the electric motor. The commute home uses EV about 45-50% of the distance due to more freeway traffic.

While ~50 MPG is possible I don't think most people would like to accelerate so slowly. I think the average driver would get would get ~40 MPG using the EV coach and pulsing the throttle to keep it from switching to the ICE unless they are trying to reach speeds over 35 MPH. I guess I am hypermiling but I know those who do would also go under the speed limit often. I don't think I will be driving any slower due to increasing the chance of getting rear-ended. I was hoping that I would get ~40 MPG so I am ecstatic that I am getting more than that. As far as the computer calculation vs running the numbers from the pump the Maverick has not been to far off. It is has only been off by a mile or two over, but I have only filled the tank twice and I still think that the engine still needs some more break in time.

The only concern I have is that hypermiling is that doing so will wear out the high voltage battery faster.

So what numbers are you guys getting?

20220209_074109.jpg
I just picked up a new 2023 Maverick Hybrid at Galpin Ford in LA. I drove it in a combination of typical LA stop and go traffic, and freeway miles. The dealer filled the tank for me and I first drove it from LA to Camarillo, then to Santa Barbara, and finally to my destination of Fremont, CA. I drove a total of 437 miles with 1/3 tank left, estimated at another 226 miles of driving. That would equate to 673 miles for my tank. Pretty happy with that first drive. This is my 2nd Maverick. The first one, a 2022 Hybrid, has averaged 43.4 mpg the first 13,000 miles. Pleased with the bang for the buck that these little trucks offer.

Ford Maverick Hypermiling ~50 MPG and over 600 miles per tank on Eco Mode 20230126_190816

Rolandus

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just picked up a new 2023 Maverick Hybrid at Galpin Ford in LA. I drove it in a combination of typical LA stop and go traffic, and freeway miles. The dealer filled the tank for me and I first drove it from LA to Camarillo, then to Santa Barbara, and finally to my destination of Fremont, CA. I drove a total of 437 miles with 1/3 tank left, estimated at another 226 miles of driving. That would equate to 673 miles for my tank. Pretty happy with that first drive. This is my 2nd Maverick. The first one, a 2022 Hybrid, has averaged 43.4 mpg the first 13,000 miles. Pleased with the bang for the buck that these little trucks offer. So
Hi Everyone,

Since I got my XLT Hybrid in January the tank has only been topped off 3 times. Once by the dealer and twice by me. I am currently at 1400 miles and still have just over half a tank.

I live in San Jose, CA so I have a mix of freeway and city driving. I commute to work early (5:30 AM) so there is little traffic. My commute home has traffic on the way home. Before my Maverick I would drive 5-10 mph over the posted speed limit. Since then I have been driving at the posted limit (what a grandpa right?) unless traffic is heavier and doing so is causing a line to form behind me.

To start off I have been driving Eco Mode most of time. There were a few times I forgot to switch modes, and a couple where I needed to get to the other side of town ASAP and left it in normal mode. When I first learned about the EV coach I noticed that the EV mode turns off if you are accelerating over 15-20% power. Since then from a complete stop I would accelerate using 10-15% power until reaching the posted speed limit. If the ICE is engaged at the posted speed limit, I would set the cruise control to the posted speed and accelerate 5-8 mph over it. As the speed drops to the set cruise speed most of the time it will switch to EV. While I knew this would happen often on residential and arterial streets, I was surprised to see that the EV would engage around 65mph too. Since there is no EV battery gauge I don't know it switches back to ICE due to the battery being low, or due to needing more power. This makes me wonder if the MPG could reach 60 if the battery pack was larger. I do not have the adaptive cruise control so I am using the wheel controls often.

After getting a feel of the regenerative braking I have been coasting to a stop more than I did in a ICE. When I over under estimate the coasting distance I tap the throttle since it is usually on EV mode.

My morning commute to work is 16.9 miles. On average 38-42% of that distance cover by the electric motor. The commute home uses EV about 45-50% of the distance due to more freeway traffic.

While ~50 MPG is possible I don't think most people would like to accelerate so slowly. I think the average driver would get would get ~40 MPG using the EV coach and pulsing the throttle to keep it from switching to the ICE unless they are trying to reach speeds over 35 MPH. I guess I am hypermiling but I know those who do would also go under the speed limit often. I don't think I will be driving any slower due to increasing the chance of getting rear-ended. I was hoping that I would get ~40 MPG so I am ecstatic that I am getting more than that. As far as the computer calculation vs running the numbers from the pump the Maverick has not been to far off. It is has only been off by a mile or two over, but I have only filled the tank twice and I still think that the engine still needs some more break in time.

The only concern I have is that hypermiling is that doing so will wear out the high voltage battery faster.

So what numbers are you guys getting?

20220209_074109.jpg
I just picked up a new 2023 Maverick Hybrid at Galpin Ford in LA. I drove it in a combination of typical LA stop and go traffic, and freeway miles. The dealer filled the tank for me and I first drove it from LA to Camarillo, then to Santa Barbara, and finally to my destination of Fremont, CA. I drove a total of 437 miles with 1/3 tank left, estimated at another 226 miles of driving. That would equate to 673 miles for my tank. Pretty happy with that first drive. This is my 2nd Maverick. The first one, a 2022 Hybrid, has averaged 43.4 mpg the first 13,000 miles. Pleased with the bang for the buck that these little trucks offer. So, I'm on track to reach the 600 mile club with my new 2023.

Ford Maverick Hypermiling ~50 MPG and over 600 miles per tank on Eco Mode 20230126_190801

Maverick Grabber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chrysler 200, 2022 Maverick XLT Red
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haaaaaaate being behind people who hypermile away from lights. I like to fly around them and cut them off.

How much towing and hauling did you do?
it's fun pissing pushy people off
Sponsored