First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MINI Cooper S cabrio, 2014 Lincoln Navigator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This will be my first hybrid. I know that city driving is where the hybrid power train will really shine and also that the 2.0 is much closer in efficiency if you mostly drive in the highway. But what about in the suburbs/small cities?

My driving is generally under 3 miles at about 35 to 50 mph. With occasional lights and stop signs.
Sponsored

frrocketdan

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m in a 2015 Ford Fusion hybrid currently and have been mostly suburban driving. I think the lifetime average for my car (65K miles) is somewhere around 45mpg, for a car rated 44 city 41 hwy. AC and heat usage can have a big impact however.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This will be my first hybrid. I know that city driving is where the hybrid power train will really shine and also that the 2.0 is much closer in efficiency if you mostly drive in the highway. But what about in the suburbs/small cities?

My driving is generally under 3 miles at about 35 to 50 mph. With occasional lights and stop signs.
I think you really have to look at your average speed overall - driving like you describe is much more akin to 'city' driving than 'highway' driving according to EPA measurements. If you're just driving around town, stopping and going at stop signs along the way, this is still for all intents and purposes city driving.

Additionally, the short trips kill gas mileage in a standard motor, and is probably the best case example of where a Hybrid will shine. If most of your trips are 10-15 minutes, 3-5 miles and at most 50mph, the Hybrid will be giving you its best output. The ecoboost would be the complete opposite.

If your car has a gauge that tells you your average mph by tank/trip, take a look at that as a measure. We live out in the country, I am 70% 'on the highway' in terms of distance, but the rest is light traffic roads with traffic lights or stop signs. In my Ranger if I've averaged a speed around 30mph for a tank I'm lucky to get 21mpg. Best I've done is about 24 (which is the Ranger's highway value), and the average mph still sits in the mid-40s on those best tanks.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Here's some idea what to expect, based on the HF45 in the Escape Hybrid. Maverick should be a bit lower. Speed matters. Temperature matters. Short trips are tough when it gets cold. This is all long trips or warm start, but all sorts of weather.
Ford Maverick Hybrid in suburban driving 1631581154868
Sponsored