First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I finally saw the new Hyundai Santa Cruz at the Western Idaho Fair in Boise this past weekend. I gotta say, it's a beautiful little vehicle. I'm not interested in hearing "but it's not a truck." You might care, but I don't. A vehicle this size, be it the Santa Cruz, the Maverick, or come what may isn't purchased to do typical "truck" stuff. I think the SC styling is cool, nicer than the Maverick in my opinion, and would be interested in one. But....

The Santa Cruz will lose to the Maverick for me due to two very important factors:

Foremost is the hybrid engine being offered in the Maverick. I'm driving an '03 Ford Sport Trac which I love. Perfect size, 4-foot bed with an extender has been just fine, good passenger room in the rear seats, just a great vehicle. Either the Maverick of Santa Cruz are both close to the same size/configuration as a replacement so that's a tie. It's the hybrid engine that sets the Mav apart. I don't tow anything, only occasionally go offroad and then on gravel Forest Service roads, we don't typically get severe winters, and don't haul huge loads. A hybrid will be plenty adequate for my needs and just "feels like the future." The 40 mpg, almost double what I get with my Sport Trac and vastly better than the Santa Cruz, that's huge.

The other factor is the price. Right now Hyundai dealers are inflating an already much higher price. The salesman where I saw the SC at the fair told me the vehicle they were showing was "just over $40,000." I almost laughed in his face. I have not bought a new vehicle in well over 30 years as the prices have just been too high. Now, with a decent Maverick XLT possible for under $25K, it might be time.

I typically keep a vehicle 15 years or more and so considering my age, this could be the last vehicle I own. I think it only makes sense to "buy the future" and not just replace what I have with another ICE vehicle - yesterday's news.
Sponsored