Sponsored

Hybrid engine performance question

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
Forgive me if this has been asked, and for not knowing but...

If I order the hybrid, and I'm not happy with the acceleration, or overall power, are there mods that can be done to make this more powerful? I'm not looking to spend tens of thousands on modifications, or an engine swap, but I know you can tune the ecoboost...
I am trust you’ll get a lot of one dimensional answers here just discussing engine enhancements. If you put on the lightest rim/tire combo available that should definitely help with acceleration
Sponsored

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
TFL just put a Maverick Hybrid against an original generation (4.0) Mazda/Ranger. In performing 0-60 runs, they clocked the Maverick Hybrid at 7.41......at a mile above sea-level. That was with both Nathan & Andre onboard, neither of which is a light weight.

There's a video on Youtube of the test, and they also pulled a near 2000 lb trailer, going from 30 up to the 60/65 speed limit, and were very impressed at how well the hybrid coped with the trailer.

James L. Harrison

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
TFL just put a Maverick Hybrid against an original generation (4.0) Mazda/Ranger. In performing 0-60 runs, they clocked the Maverick Hybrid at 7.41......at a mile above sea-level. That was with both Nathan & Andre onboard, neither of which is a light weight.

There's a video on Youtube of the test, and they also pulled a near 2000 lb trailer, going from 30 up to the 60/65 speed limit, and were very impressed at how well the hybrid coped with the trailer.
I have a 2014 Focus ST 2.0 turbo [Ecoboost] and IMHO it would have trouble beating those numbers by more than a couple of tenths under the conditions specified. Frankly I'd probably have trouble believing those numbers even if I saw the demonstration. I would suspect error or fraud. However: I was almost wrong one time before; so maybe this is the real thing!!! GGG

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Scroll down to the electric motor specs... 173 lb.-ft. from the traction motor moves you from a stop.
Unfortunately the 173 lb.-ft torque and 93 kW (125 HP) of the traction motor is not available in the Maverick Hybrid. Those are the ratings of the motor, but the motor is connected to a battery that is only rated for 27kW (36 HP equivalent) continuous output.

The electric motor was designed to also be used in a future PHEV Maverick with a much bigger battery with a higher output rating to more closely match the electric motor. The PHEV will be able to drive the car with only the traction motor and the ICE completely off

For very brief periods of time, Ford may be drawing a little more than 27kW but they can't do it very long at all or they will significantly reduce the life of the battery.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately the 173 lb.-ft torque and 93 kW (125 HP) of the traction motor is not available in the Maverick Hybrid. Those are the ratings of the motor, but the motor is connected to a battery that is only rated for 27kW (36 HP equivalent) continuous output.

The electric motor was designed to also be used in a future PHEV Maverick with a much bigger battery with a higher output rating to more closely match the electric motor. The PHEV will be able to drive the car with only the traction motor and the ICE completely off

For very brief periods of time, Ford may be drawing a little more than 27kW but they can't do it very long at all or they will significantly reduce the life of the battery.
There was a motor trend article awhile ago that said the electric motor could make 126 HP because the entire hybrid system (ice /motor generator + battery) can feed it 94kW.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There was a motor trend article awhile ago that said the electric motor could make 126 HP because the entire hybrid system (ice /motor generator + battery) can feed it 94kW.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. Any power to drive the motor generator is being subtracted from the the ICE power available to the wheels. In addition it would be going through efficiency losses in the mechanical to electrical and then electrical to mechanical conversions.

So net result would be less wheel HP

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
191 hp isn't bad. My first vehicle was a 1980 toyota pickup that made all of 97 hp and that was on a good day. The hybrid 0-60 numbers are fine. It's not a performance vehicle, it's optimized as an efficiency vehicle.

I do wonder what would happen if you could slap a turbo on an atkinson cycle engine.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can't have your cake and eat it too. Any power to drive the motor generator is being subtracted from the the ICE power available to the wheels. In addition it would be going through efficiency losses in the mechanical to electrical and then electrical to mechanical conversions.

So net result would be less wheel HP
Sure you're not going to get 126hp from the e motor and 160 from the ICE at the same time. I didn't say you would. I simply said that I had read that the hybrid system can get 126hp out of the e motor (much more than the 36hp you stated).

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sure you're not going to get 126hp from the e motor and 160 from the ICE at the same time. I didn't say you would. I simply said that I had read that the hybrid system can get 126hp out of the e motor (much more than the 36hp you stated).
If you could get more than 191 HP out of the ICE plus traction motor of the Hybrid, then Ford would have rated it higher.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you could get more than 191 HP out of the ICE plus traction motor of the Hybrid, then Ford would have rated it higher.
I'm not saying it can get more than 191hp.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
But it absolutely is available in "series hybrid" mode, when ICE generates power for the traction motor. There is a question if Maverick can generate full traction motor power, given it's been upgraded in HF45+.

My battery is same as Mavericks and I get 35kW charging, and a peak power of 40kW if I floor it.
It will be interesting to see how Ford deals with the higher-capacity traction motor. I don't see both ICE AND HVB feeding the traction motor in the HF45. Under hard acceleration, HVB output goes to 0. The dash has NO power information in series mode operation.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. Any power to drive the motor generator is being subtracted from the the ICE power available to the wheels.
But you can eat your cake in the most favorable place. When I floor it from a stop...
- 0 to rolling is EV because it does take time for ICE RPM to rise
- rolling to ~40 mph is "series hybrid" mode, ICE running at high power generating current for the motor with greater torque at low RPM.
- above ~40 mph, it transitions to parallel mode hybrid as motor torque starts to drop and ICE gearing becomes favorable.

No double-counting, just a lot of shuffling power paths on the fly.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It will be interesting to see how Ford deals with the higher-capacity traction motor. I don't see both ICE AND HVB feeding the traction motor in the HF45. Under hard acceleration, HVB output goes to 0. The dash has NO power information in series mode operation.
Yeah. I think most slow driving the motor will be fed by the battery when possible. At least from early MPG tests, it appears as though drivers are getting up to 50% "ev" driving (which I assume just means ICE off) in the city. Reviewers have also mentioned how smooth the acceleration/power delivery is on the hybrid, so I assume when you've maxed out the battery-motor power the system slips into series mode to deliver more power through the e motor without having to ramp up the ICE RPMS.

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Some reviewers got 7.5 seconds 0-60 in the hybrid Maverick. That is as quick as most v6 SUVs.
That's pretty good. That's the same as the Honda CR-V with the 1.5L turbo. For comparison, my 2018 Escape with the 2.5L 168 hp and FWD weighs about 100 lbs less than the Maverick hybrid and still only manages about a 9.2 sec 0-60.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FWIW, MotorTrend was only .5 or .6 seconds slower 0-60 with the Hybrid, than with the EB2.0 in testing. Many mid-size SUVs of comparable size don't accelerate much quicker than the Maverick's tested 0-60 of 7.6 seconds. My current Outback (3.6 w/5EAT) tested at 7.1-7.5 seconds, depending upon the source, so its ball-park, probably with more torque off the line, verses needing the engine to get to 2k rpms before taking off.

Gut feeling, is off the line might be quicker, and then a bit slower during the last 5-10 mph on a 0-60 dash, assuming traction isn't a problem. (There's no spinning tires in an Outback on dry or damp pavement, driving all 4, all the time, the one thing I'll really miss).
I was reading somewhere (don't know on what or which engine but believe on a hybrid) where a tuner had installed a video camera in the floor area and when foot was headed towards pedal he would (when "drag" was selected on a dial") start the ice and rev it up so when pedal was actually pressed max acceleration at full possible power could happen.
Sponsored