Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL: AWD, 4k Towing
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi everyone,

I recently did the Zepp degreaser trick to blackout the tail lights on my Maverick. Absolutely love the look of it, but something’s been driving me crazy as of late. The third brake light is still chrome and it kind of looks a bit wonky with the others blacked out.

Before I spent the time taking things apart, I wanted to reach out and ask you guys if it is possible to apply the same method to the third brake light as I did on the tail lights or if I have to resort to a tinted sticker or aftermarket lights.

Additionally, I tried doing a search for the OEM blackout appearance package light, but I couldn’t find that either. I can’t imagine this is a super niche question given the extensive mods that go on in the community, but nevertheless, I am striking out with my google searches.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't support it, but why wouldn't it be possible?

I think others have also replaced their setups with blacked out F150 ones, which might be a safer bet if you just want the black out look so it doesn't actually dim the lights.

Deweyordeweynot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dewey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Oxford White / 2018 Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I get why you'd want to do it, so it matches the other black trim.

Lane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Website
photos.app.goo.gl
Vehicle(s)
2023 Area 51 Hybrid XL, 2006 VW Jetta Smyth UTE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I applied some film to the 3rd brake light, photos and details are in my build thread here. End result:

Ford Maverick How to Blackout Third Brake Light tint1-

Since that film is made specifically for lights, it doesn't significantly diminish the light output.

And for those saying you're gonna get rear ended... it probably won't be due to that small amount of light difference. It'll be from someone texting, talking on their phone, not paying attention, or they're just plain crappy drivers. A light that's a little brighter won't fix that.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL: AWD, 4k Towing
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Making your brake lights more difficult to see.
You might get rear-ended, and not in the good way.

Steve
Oh boy. Thanks for your very thoughtful contribution, Steve.

The blackout “trick” for the tail lights creates a finished product that is exactly the same as what you would get if you had bought the black out package from ford.

But go on. Tell me how you know better.

IHateSpeedbumps

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Oh boy. Thanks for your very thoughtful contribution, Steve.

The blackout “trick” for the tail lights creates a finished product that is exactly the same as what you would get if you had bought the black out package from ford.

But go on. Tell me how you know better.
No it doesn't. The zep method is not the same as the BAP lights. Stop spreading lies.

Johnny maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 mav 16 superduty 89 xr7 sc 5spd 84 gt turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I add a touch of black paint to my clearcoat and spray it until it has the appearance I want. Done many tails and head lights over the years. Gives it a nice gloss too. Also it looks stock so if some idiot drives into the back of you, you don't have a sticker over the light that someone could blame you for the accident. And you know nobody is responsible for their actions these days . Always someone else's fault. Have fun making your maverick YOUR maverick.

Johnny maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 mav 16 superduty 89 xr7 sc 5spd 84 gt turbo
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I add a touch of black paint to my clearcoat and spray it until it has the appearance I want. Done many tails and head lights over the years. Gives it a nice gloss too. Also it looks stock so if some idiot drives into the back of you, you don't have a sticker over the light that someone could blame you for the accident. And you know nobody is responsible for their actions these days . Always someone else's fault. Have fun making your maverick YOUR maverick.
Oh BTW if you do the clearcoat trick there's no going back. Make sure its what you want. Also I would make sure it passes inspection. Back in the day I had an inspector fail my truck for "modifying" the taillights. I just bought junk yard tails installed them got my sticker went home swapped them back.

FabMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I went on ebay and bought a 2015 2016 Ford F150 Smoke LED 3rd Brake Light Replacement for $14. Now just need the rain to stop to install it.

Sponsored

NiCkyGee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi everyone,

I recently did the Zepp degreaser trick to blackout the tail lights on my Maverick. Absolutely love the look of it, but something’s been driving me crazy as of late. The third brake light is still chrome and it kind of looks a bit wonky with the others blacked out.

Before I spent the time taking things apart, I wanted to reach out and ask you guys if it is possible to apply the same method to the third brake light as I did on the tail lights or if I have to resort to a tinted sticker or aftermarket lights.

Additionally, I tried doing a search for the OEM blackout appearance package light, but I couldn’t find that either. I can’t imagine this is a super niche question given the extensive mods that go on in the community, but nevertheless, I am striking out with my google searches.

Thanks in advance
I purchased a tinted cover from eBay or you can try Plasti-Dip Smoke with Glossifier. I did that for the front turn signals.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364141450896

Ford Maverick How to Blackout Third Brake Light 429471595_820091309953158_9029957107687761150_n

DCBoy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I currently own 2 Hondas
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The third brake light is a Federal manufacturing safety requirement and generally not an equipment requirement by any State's traffic laws. Not only can you get a ticket for it, your car will not pass a safety inspection with out it working,(if your state requires safety inspections)

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Making your brake lights more difficult to see.
You might get rear-ended, and not in the good way.

Steve
Doing this mod does not automatically make the brake lights harder to see. My zep’d taillights/brake lights with Lasfit led bulbs appear to be brighter than stock.

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The third brake light is a Federal manufacturing safety requirement and generally not an equipment requirement by any State's traffic laws. Not only can you get a ticket for it, your car will not pass a safety inspection with out it working,(if your state requires safety inspections)
Depending on my interpretation of your statement, it may not be 100% true. By “with out it working” I assume you are referencing the tinting or darkening of the lens, possibly reducing the effective luminosity of the “third brake light”. I researched this exact topic before doing the Zep mod, and found Federal law states the lights need to meet federal photometric intensity requirements. Tinting or darkening the lens or interior surface of the light does not automatically violate the statute.

As a side note, my truck passed the annual PA safety inspection a few weeks ago. My mechanic is the pickiest dude you’ll ever run into and he never made a peep about my lights.
Sponsored