2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So drain tube update:
Went to Home Depot and bought 2x 1/2 poly elbows (the grey guys). Came out to 2 bucks or so.

Tube fits in as so and the other L part will fit in the hole cover (the black thing). You'll have to make an x cut to
fit it in as well as cut the drain tube to fit.

You can find the hole cover in the photo, about a 8-10 inches down from the tube start.

Put it all together and should work great as it's all tight fitting.
I'll send a photo of the finished later.

Ford Maverick Hard Folding Tonneau Cover C3FA38FB-54FE-4AB1-8298-F464986E357F

Ford Maverick Hard Folding Tonneau Cover A66058CC-43DA-4E12-AA6D-896326E72511

Ford Maverick Hard Folding Tonneau Cover A1024C1C-2925-4DCB-BC38-C04A34F09FE9
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid; 2015 Smart Fortwo Pure
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered the Bison cover for myself last week and it's supposed to arrive mid-this week (such is the case living on an island). I'm happy to see that drainage solution today, so now when my cover arrives I'll know what to do for the drain tubes.

Now I'm waiting for the Tux Mats for the hybrid and I need to get an undercoating done.

maggie06

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 crv 2022 oxford white maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ordered mine, factory installed, only waited 9 months😁

Sponsored

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XL Hybrid w/moonroof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Received mine yesterday but looks like it got beat up in transit. Hoping it's OK, I'll open it up and install after work today. It's the Bison hard cover.. less than $700 on sale shipped
Just got my Bison installed at their office literally today....took around 20 min. Seems great but I havent really gotten around to playing with it or taking photos just yet.
I ordered the Bison cover for myself last week and it's supposed to arrive mid-this week (such is the case living on an island). I'm happy to see that drainage solution today, so now when my cover arrives I'll know what to do for the drain tubes.
Just installed my Bison cover a few days ago. It rained yesterday for the first time and I had more water than I expected inside, like it spilled out of the internal rail. Front to back essentially. Some puddling near the cab and the tailgate. Pretty sure the side rails are as pressed down as possible, so not likely getting in there. Do you guys get some infiltration or is there anything you see about my install that looks off? Thanks!

Ford Maverick Hard Folding Tonneau Cover bisoninside
Ford Maverick Hard Folding Tonneau Cover bisonoutside1
Ford Maverick Hard Folding Tonneau Cover bisonoutside2

Last edited:

Benilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Mine has been OK but it hasn't rained a lot lately for me to give a proper accessment :( I know tonneau covers aren't water proof so some leakage is to be expected.

How long did your truck get rained on btw?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just installed mine a few days ago. It rained yesterday for the first time and I had more water than I expected inside, like it spilled out of the internal rail. Front to back essentially. Some puddling near the cab and the tailgate. Pretty sure the side rails are as pressed down as possible, so not likely getting in there. Do you guys get some infiltration or is there anything you see about my install that looks off? Thanks!

bisoninside.jpg
bisonoutside1.jpg
bisonoutside2.jpg
Mine has been OK but it hasn't rained a lot lately for me to give a proper accessment :( I know tonneau covers aren't water proof so some leakage is to be expected.

I've had mine installed a few months now. I find that when we get rain it does penetrate a fair bit, at least more than I had expected. I haven't taken the time to investigate where the water is entering from, but I imagine the little dip on the sides, close to the cab, is part of the issue. I probably did a crappy job with the stripping along the side with the window.

All the same, the bigger thing was for me to keep snow out, but it would be nice if I could mitigate some of this water too. Otherwise I've been quite happy with the Bison cover. My father thought I was nuts spending $800 on a tonneau cover, but last month we used my truck to move some things. He kept the tailgate down so that I could close the cover, he didn't realize that I don't need to latch it like the soft cover he has.

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've had mine installed a few months now. I find that when we get rain it does penetrate a fair bit, at least more than I had expected. I haven't taken the time to investigate where the water is entering from, but I imagine the little dip on the sides, close to the cab, is part of the issue. I probably did a crappy job with the stripping along the side with the window.
Mine has been OK but it hasn't rained a lot lately for me to give a proper assessment :( I know tonneau covers aren't water proof so some leakage is to be expected.

Two or three sustained downpours overnight. I think the weak points are the corners behind the cab. Water can pool on the cab side of the adhesive strip and pour into the sides which appear not to be completely sealed on the edges.

I also noticed the plastic slip-on hose connectors are relatively loose fitting. Even if the rail holes are lined up, water could slip by there with enough volume.

I'll contact Bison to see what they have to say and report back.

BIG_daddy_qwerty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey Montevilla, I regularly hose down my bed in the car wash and I also did some leak tests with full blast water just to see what to patch up. Here's what I did:

using your photo:
1 this was actually a big spot for water. I bought some thin rubber foam stick on weatherstripping and cut to size and attached it in there. Clogged it up pretty good but of course it's not 100%. If I was to reinstall from scratch, I would fill that channel first then install the rail. But becuase the rail is there I could only jerryrig the rubber piece and sticky it in there. Looks clean but I'll send a photo when I'm back home.

2. This is where most of the water comes in. If you flip the lip, on both sides you'll see where the water collects and comes down along the window. Again, same premise, used the same weather stripping and cut about an inch where it is missing from the overlapping lip. The water that collects from there can be picked up in the rails by forward motion or down the drain pipe (see the earlier photos on some ideas and what I cooked up)

i think looking at your setup, your bison I feel like it's quarter of an inch too forward...you can hand spin those locks in the front pull the bison As far as possible then hand lock again.

remember, tailgate area is like seriously almost impossible to waterproof. To see what I'm talking about, at night, close your bison as firmly as possible, but turn your light on the left side of your bed, then close the tailgate. You will see the light SHINING through the tailgate on the edges and anywhere else water can get through. If anyone has any ideas on tackling the tailgate I'm all ears!

Ford Maverick Hard Folding Tonneau Cover 7A79E1AA-EEC3-450F-887C-2C6523DB099B

Sponsored

BIG_daddy_qwerty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just saw your inside photo, your areas of drips should mostly be in the corners and at the tailgate, but not the sides. Check the alignment as well, the rubber flaps on the left and eight should overlap the Metal rail almost straight down. Sometimes it nudges an bit left or right from the play allowed, could be the reason for the side drips.

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey Montevilla, I regularly hose down my bed in the car wash and I also did some leak tests with full blast water just to see what to patch up. Here's what I did:

using your photo:
1 this was actually a big spot for water. I bought some thin rubber foam stick on weatherstripping and cut to size and attached it in there. Clogged it up pretty good but of course it's not 100%. If I was to reinstall from scratch, I would fill that channel first then install the rail. But becuase the rail is there I could only jerryrig the rubber piece and sticky it in there. Looks clean but I'll send a photo when I'm back home.

2. This is where most of the water comes in. If you flip the lip, on both sides you'll see where the water collects and comes down along the window. Again, same premise, used the same weather stripping and cut about an inch where it is missing from the overlapping lip. The water that collects from there can be picked up in the rails by forward motion or down the drain pipe (see the earlier photos on some ideas and what I cooked up)

i think looking at your setup, your bison I feel like it's quarter of an inch too forward...you can hand spin those locks in the front pull the bison As far as possible then hand lock again.

remember, tailgate area is like seriously almost impossible to waterproof. To see what I'm talking about, at night, close your bison as firmly as possible, but turn your light on the left side of your bed, then close the tailgate. You will see the light SHINING through the tailgate on the edges and anywhere else water can get through. If anyone has any ideas on tackling the tailgate I'm all ears!

7A79E1AA-EEC3-450F-887C-2C6523DB099B.jpeg
Thanks that's great. I had noticed number one and will seal that. Here's a close up under no. 2 though which is obviously part of the problem :

Ford Maverick Hard Folding Tonneau Cover bisonoutside3

The channel on the side is the only place for water to go, so straight into the bed.

As for pulling the cover back a 1/4", I placed the adhesive strip in the middle of the ledge since there was no clear indication in the instructions. Perhaps it should have been closer to the bed?

Agreed about the tailgate, that's where I was half-expecting to find water.

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

using your photo:

7A79E1AA-EEC3-450F-887C-2C6523DB099B.jpeg
Good call on looking for light through the cover. I'll do that soon. Hole 1 was the one I was speaking of, but there is definitely pooling at 2. I agree that the cover looks a little too far forward.

Also I put hose clamps on my hose at the rail ends and the elbow ends. On the rail ends there seems to be some sort of adhesive because once I had it on there it wouldn't come off. Either way, there's no water getting past my hose, so that's definitely not a significant part of the equation.

Montevilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also I put hose clamps on my hose at the rail ends and the elbow ends. On the rail ends there seems to be some sort of adhesive because once I had it on there it wouldn't come off. Either way, there's no water getting past my hose, so that's definitely not a significant part of the equation.
Mine slid right off the rail ends, very loose fitting...so no adhesive there on mine. The hose end for sure sticks like glue. Still waiting on a callback from Bison.

Last edited:

BIG_daddy_qwerty

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So updated photos below:
They're all mixed but let's see if this works:

toughbed photo is finished product for now (top view)@

Side photo shows the trim I did for the little railing...it's basically D trim then cut the left and right to fit in the channel, then cut half of the D so it fits in the hole made.

Flap photo shows the placement of the D trim to stop the dripping from the outside in.

Angle photo just shows what it looks like.

I went to the car wash to see how things are and it seems im Still getting drips from the inside area (too much water and no where to go. I will have to think of soemthing soon as snow would also accumulate.

Ford Maverick Hard Folding Tonneau Cover 4B24C109-9F07-4DF0-94F6-DCD48DA50A5B
Ford Maverick Hard Folding Tonneau Cover E4D79577-3C59-4C7F-AF7F-CA870638AAF9
Ford Maverick Hard Folding Tonneau Cover 97DD0629-0AC5-4870-9405-98BACB5D7743

Ford Maverick Hard Folding Tonneau Cover 17B433E9-2080-4509-BA59-84855DB7FEE0
Sponsored

Last edited: