First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 terrain lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I scuffed the center grill bar on my lariat and sprayed it agate black. The paint wrinkled in odd places? I let it dry, scuffed it up again, cleaned it, and sprayed again. Paint wrinkled up again right where the factory silver paint was exposed. At this point there was the black plastic of the grill exposed from scuffing the paint over and over. I can peel the silver paint right off with my fingernail and it’s like the black grill underneath is smooth and shiny like the factory paint didn’t stick because the surface wasn’t prepped/primed. I even tried etching primer and it’s still wrinkling where the factory paint is exposed.
Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
did you use a primer made for plastic?

Exranger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EB FX4 4K Tow LAR LUX Area 51 RCVD 4/27/23
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Sand it down, 3 light light coats of primer, let dry. Then dusting coat of paint to seal to primer. Then light coats with dry time. Seems like the solvent in your paint is dissolving the base.

sprcoop

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid, 66 Mustang Coupe, 2012 Focus DCT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The paint you are spraying sounds like it's incompatible with the surface you are spraying it on. Try "dusting" on the first few coats (spray a very fine mist) then after it is somewhat covered lay it on a little thicker.

I've had to do this in some car painting situations (see avatar). Good luck.

SlowTime2011

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT EB LUX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
AS Exranger mentioned it sounds like the solvent in your paint is affecting old finish, not uncommon with plastics. Follow his advice on the sequence to paint it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Saint D

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 terrain lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, I shot the first coat on super thin and let dry for an hour. Looked great but thin. Very next coat still thin and used half the reducer didn’t work. Primer trying slow thin build up 1 hour intervals and sanding the wrinkles in between but it’s like they never end.

OP
OP

Saint D

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 terrain lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m not too scared to try again, thought about using easy off oven cleaner and strip all the paint and start over.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I try painting anything its gonna look like a kid in kindergarten did it, so I've got no good advice. The only thing I'll pitch out there is maybe try like a vehicle wrap material that's the color you want. I just pitching darts in the air :rolleyes: Anyways, I wish you luck and success!

Exranger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EB FX4 4K Tow LAR LUX Area 51 RCVD 4/27/23
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If I try painting anything its gonna look like a kid in kindergarten did it, so I've got no good advice. The only thing I'll pitch out there is maybe try like a vehicle wrap material that's the color you want. I just pitching darts in the air :rolleyes: Anyways, I wish you luck and success!
You may be onto something with the wrap. I did carbon fiber on a Honda grill and it turned out great. I didn’t like the chrome.

Ford Maverick Grill bar paint gone bad 7C28AA46-B09C-4C37-A853-0C819A6373E3
Sponsored