2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Screenshot_20211216-105742.png

chino hills ford in California 10k mark up.
this is the dealership that screwed me last night when i went to pickup my Maverick.
was at the dealer for 3 hours giving them all my life's information before they showed me the final invoice which had $3,165 worth of "Dealer Installed Options" all useless crap (Ding Sheild protection, tire and wheel protection, wheel locks, etc...).

I asked why in the world they added things onto MY truck that I pre-ordered from Ford without my permission/consent/notification and got the standard: "oh all dealers do this, you know the market right now, etc..." They said "take it or leave it we have a long waiting list and can sell this for $10K more than the price you are getting." I walked right out that door.

Got some advice from a family attorney friend, was told to call the GM and see if he can do anything. I called him and he said that he was unaware this happened, is really sorry, and that they should have informed me of the added charges before I arrived to pickup my Maverick. He is "seeing what he can do", but I assume my truck is already sold to the next highest bidder.

I will be reaching out to Ford and the DMV as I was told this falls under bait and switch as I was not informed. I honestly think it falls under THEFT as the dealer stole MY Maverick that I pre-ordered with my specs and then added things onto MY truck without my consent with the full intent of showing me out the door so they can sell it to another customer at an even higher price. Another salesman who overheard everything going on straight up told me "they prefer that you DON'T buy the car because they can make $10K more by selling it to someone else"

maningr

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC Envoy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your order form is the price you pay (plus tax, title & tag) period!!!
No it is not.

A Buyer's Order with all costs listed and signed by the buyer and the general sales manager is a contract that commits the dealership to sell to you at the agreed upon price. This should list all costs and have a total listed. That total is what you will pay.

Anything else is not a contract for the final price.

A verbal agreement is not.
A DORA order only signed by the buyer is not

In each of the above cases you may think that the dealer will sell you a vehicle at MSRP.

Well they can get by that by listing MSRP price on the final paperwork and then add ADM and other Dealer Add-on and many other dealer fees along with the valid TT&L thus bloating your cost by thousands of dollars and well above MSRP.

I trimmed the Buyer's Order to remove personal information but it included the Dealership Name, Manager (Sales Rep) name, My name, address, phone number and email address. It was signed by me and the general sales manager.

Example of my Buyer's Order:

Ford Maverick Greediest Maverick Dealerships in the US - ADM Markup List Buyer's Order

Last edited:

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No it is not.

A Buyer's Order with all costs listed and signed by the buyer and the general sales manager is a contract that commits the dealership to sell to you at the agreed upon price. This should list all costs and have a total listed. That total is what you will pay.

Anything else is not a contract for the final price.

A verbal agreement is not.
A DORA order only signed by the buyer is not

In each of the above cases you may think that the dealer will sell you a vehicle at MSRP.

Well they can get by that by listing MSRP price on the final paperwork and then add ADM and other Dealer Add-on and many other dealer fees along with the valid TT&L thus bloating your cost by thousands of dollars and well above MSRP.

Example of my Buyer's Order:

Buyer's Order.jpg
Steve,

Earlier today in this post someone said he won a court case based on just text messages. Other cases have been won based on verbal agreements. If you are not a lawyer you may want to not give legal advice and scare everyone.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The person who placed the order has the first right of refusal to buy the truck, at the price offered on the order form. That is control.

If the order form means nothing and you have no control, then the dealer could take delivery and sell it to someone else +10k without even calling you.

This is not really different than having stock options, which gives you control over a specific number of shares that you do not own yet.
I started following the Maverick rumors approximately 1 year ago- months before Ford even acknowledged there was actually going to be a Maverick vehicle produced. After doing my Due Diligence on researching everything I could find about it, sitting in a trainer, test driving an Edge with the same ECO boost, AWD,, 8 speed tranny configuration, then finally test driving a 2.0 AWD FX-4- I decided it was exactly what I wanted and built a configuration containing all features I wanted on the XL. I bugged the crap out of my (1 and only) local Ford dealer before they had even heard the rumors and were clueless. I worked with the same sales person who sold us our 2018 F-150 and kept in touch the whole time.

Yesterday, I finally submitted my order speced out how I wanted it. I made sure it got entered correctly and had the email from Ford accepting my order while I was sitting there BSing in the showroom. My understanding of this process is by submitting my specific build and Ford acknowledging my order it does 2 things: 1) It tells Ford to start gathering all necessary parts to build the Maverick specified in the order and eventually deliver it to my dealer and 2) it gives me the option to purchase or walk away from this built vehicle. That's it. Nothing more is inferred or promised. The dealer maintains "control" in your words, of the vehicle until such a time as I complete an actual Purchase Contract agreed to and signed by both parties and provide my valid method to pay for it.

Moral of this story is the Maverick is not under my "control" at any time until the Purchase Contract is validated and I prove I can pay for it. Anything less is not binding or relevant on my dealer and they can do what they want with it and sell it to whomever for any price they think they can get- and I have no standing in their business transactions for it. Zip, Zilch, Nada...

Sponsored

Vickyfortin1985

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
So glad that here, in Québec (Canada), it's illegal for the dealership to add extra fees or a markup on cars! It should be illegal everywhere!!
It makes no sense to pay a 15,000$ markup on a 30,000$ truck! 🤦‍♀️

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I started following the Maverick rumors approximately 1 year ago- months before Ford even acknowledged there was actually going to be a Maverick vehicle produced. After doing my Due Diligence on researching everything I could find about it, sitting in a trainer, test driving an Edge with the same ECO boost, AWD,, 8 speed tranny configuration, then finally test driving a 2.0 AWD FX-4- I decided it was exactly what I wanted and built a configuration containing all features I wanted on the XL. I bugged the crap out of my (1 and only) local Ford dealer before they had even heard the rumors and were clueless. I worked with the same sales person who sold us our 2018 F-150 and kept in touch the whole time.

Yesterday, I finally submitted my order speced out how I wanted it. I made sure it got entered correctly and had the email from Ford accepting my order while I was sitting there BSing in the showroom. My understanding of this process is by submitting my specific build and Ford acknowledging my order it does 2 things: 1) It tells Ford to start gathering all necessary parts to build the Maverick specified in the order and eventually deliver it to my dealer and 2) it gives me the option to purchase or walk away from this built vehicle. That's it. Nothing more is inferred or promised. The dealer maintains "control" in your words, of the vehicle until such a time as I complete an actual Purchase Contract agreed to and signed by both parties and provide my valid method to pay for it.

Moral of this story is the Maverick is not under my "control" at any time until the Purchase Contract is validated and I prove I can pay for it. Anything less is not binding or relevant on my dealer and they can do what they want with it and sell it to whomever for any price they think they can get- and I have no standing in their business transactions for it. Zip, Zilch, Nada...
You have control by deciding to complete your purchase. Can you imagine the riot Ford would have on their hands if dealers ignored orders and put the trucks on their lots instead?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You have control by deciding to complete your purchase. Can you imagine the riot Ford would have on their hands if dealers ignored orders and put the trucks on their lots instead?
Right. As long as I am continuously engaged in the process of completing purchase of the truck I ordered, they will continue working with me and not sell it out from under me. This assumes both parties are honorable and working in good faith to complete the transaction. If I fail to uphold my obligations (can't get financed for 1 example) to actually buy it, then all bets are off and dealer is under no obligation to continue working with me and free to do what they want with "my" truck.

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Right. As long as I am continuously engaged in the process of completing purchase of the truck I ordered, they will continue working with me and not sell it out from under me. This assumes both parties are honorable and working in good faith to complete the transaction. If I fail to uphold my obligations (can't get financed for 1 example) to actually buy it, then all bets are off and dealer is under no obligation to continue working with me and free to do what they want with "my" truck.
Yes you proved my point. You are in control and have first right of refusal to buy. If you walk you did them a favor by giving control back to them so they can sell it to someone else +10k.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes you proved my point. You are in control and have first right of refusal to buy. If you walk you did them a favor by giving control back to them so they can sell it to someone else +10k.
uhh OK 🙃 Have yourself a Merry little Christmas 🎅🤶
Sponsored