Sponsored

Great little video on "perverse incentives" and why we can't have small trucks (until BEVs arrive)

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

For those of you who miss truly small trucks (clue: the Maverick is not in that club). I anticipate this will be resolved once BEVs arrive in force. Because a BEV truck is a great way for the consumer to tell inept government bureaucrats (autocrats?) to go pound sand.

Edit by OP. I'm not implying that our government employees are evil or anything like that. Just that regulations often have unanticipated outcomes. Also, for those inclined to dismiss this guy as a crackpot - this is a common narrative amongst the automotive insider crowd. Alex On Autos did a similar video a year or so ago.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MinntoMich

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S10, Renegade, Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since you've freely expressed and implied your opinion about your federal government...
Ford Maverick Great little video on "perverse incentives" and why we can't have small trucks (until BEVs arrive) images (3)

Seriously though I've heard this argument before and it does make sense.
Manufacturers more often than not build and advertise what they want consumers to purchase, not what consumers really want. That's why the Mav and Mav Hybrid are selling like hotcakes and Ford cant keep up. Imagine building something consumers wanted? The sucess of it isn't lost on me and if production was three times what it is now It would just be sufficient.

lajlmt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For those of you who miss truly small trucks (clue: the Maverick is not in that club). I anticipate this will be resolved once BEVs arrive in force. Because a BEV truck is a great way for the consumer to tell inept government bureaucrats (autocrats?) to go pound sand.

Edit by OP. I'm not implying that our government employees are evil or anything like that. Just that regulations often have unanticipated outcomes. Also, for those inclined to dismiss this guy as a crackpot - this is a common narrative amongst the automotive insider crowd. Alex On Autos did a similar video a year or so ago.
I had a B2000, my spouse was t-boned downtown a car (battering Ram Pontiac with that 60’s axe bumper) hit is right on the firewall and killed it) then I got the Ranger which was the best…

lajlmt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick XLT LUX
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Japan does NOT have these rules 😉

Sponsored

RCollins

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When TSHTF in this country, the EPA and CARB should be first up on the chopping block, along with a lot of other alphabet agencies.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When TSHTF in this country, the EPA and CARB should be first up on the chopping block, along with a lot of other alphabet agencies.
Maybe, but without them we might still be driving vehicles that get 12mpg, imagine paying $4 -$5 a gallon at that rate!

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe, but without them we might still be driving vehicles that get 12mpg, imagine paying $4 -$5 a gallon at that rate!
People still do lol. Lots and lots of people. Cadillac's new SUV get's like 13MPG... Some people don't care and never will.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
People still do lol. Lots and lots of people. Cadillac's new SUV get's like 13MPG... Some people don't care and never will.
That is true, every time the price of fuel goes up, they are the first to start whining, at that point I smile a little & certainly will never play the world's smallest fiddle for their poor choices. :LOL: These people have had a couple decades to get smarter. I went from a V8 to a V6 in 2004, should have been 5 years sooner than that & in 2022 from a V6 to an I-4, gaining nearly 30% efficiency with each change.

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Breathing and drinkable water are over-rated
Sponsored