First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What is the camper and how does it expand?

OP
OP
BuddyS

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Mc_Flier

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Area 51 Maverick Hybrid, Street Glide Special
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I looked at the website. I can’t find the A/C unit. 🥸

Sponsored

MavFromTheDead

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Mllombardi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
Undecided
It's a Chesapeake Light Craft teardrop that I built from a kit. This will be my first time pulling it with the Maverick. It's only about 400lbs so it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Here's their page: https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/recreational-vehicles/clc-teardrop-trailer.html
I’ve seen the Chesapeake Light Craft Teardrops at a wooden boat show and they are truly a jaw dropping work of art. Surely going to draw many to ask all about it.
Great setup!

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That Sir is the most unique tear drop I've ever seen. Wow, Awesome Job. Most Impressive! Now Go Have FUN

rclee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Maverick Lux,A51,Hybrid,Rear Slider.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That is one cool teardrop! I looked at the website and saw all the parts and pieces. How long did it take you to build it? Did you purchase the optional aluminum trailer, or did you source it elsewhere?

OP
OP
BuddyS

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks for the info. Pretty damn cool. Realistically, how about long does it take to assemble a kit like yours?
It's hard to say. I didn't keep track of the hours, and I essentially built it over the "covid year" in my detached garage in MD. So sometimes I'd get a lot done in a few days, then I'd step away for a while when it was just too cold to be out there. But I never felt like it was becoming work, and every builder's level of perfection or haste will have an impact. I know I spent A LOT of time sanding it smooth in search of a great finish. I'd think that the manufacturer's estimate of 250 hours is probably about right.

I should also add that I'd built 2 of their kayaks, too, so I was familiar with the materials and process.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BuddyS

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That is one cool teardrop! I looked at the website and saw all the parts and pieces. How long did it take you to build it? Did you purchase the optional aluminum trailer, or did you source it elsewhere?
I (and a lot of other builders) source the aluminum trailer from Northern Tool. It's about $800 and works great.

OP
OP
BuddyS

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So on this camping trip I made a very happy discovery -- the Maverick is a FAR better camping vehicle than my old Tacoma was. Main reason -- the tailgate is lower so it makes a great sitting and working space, and it's easy to reach over the sides of the bed to get to stuff -- camping chairs, firewood, reaching into the cooler, etc. With the Tacoma you basically had to jump up into the bed to unpack and/or reach anything. With the Maverick you can basically leave everything in there. The bed light was also a great touch that my Tacoma lacked.

And it towed the trailer beautifully... Over about 120 miles on 2-lane roads, averaging probably 50mph, I was seeing 30mpg in tow/haul mode.

Ford Maverick Got my unicorns hitched up IMG_0997

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am so glad you posted this. I've never seen a teardrop camper that interested me until this one! First of all, it's drop-dead gorgeous! Second, the "built it yourself" aspect makes it a bit more affordable than most. And third, the ability to customize it the way YOU want makes it even nicer.

I showed it to my wife (a "comfort camping" girl, these days) and she said "That would be perfect for a lot of camping trips where you just want a place to sleep!" So maybe there's one in my future? We'll see...

OP
OP
BuddyS

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am so glad you posted this. I've never seen a teardrop camper that interested me until this one! First of all, it's drop-dead gorgeous! Second, the "built it yourself" aspect makes it a bit more affordable than most. And third, the ability to customize it the way YOU want makes it even nicer.

I showed it to my wife (a "comfort camping" girl, these days) and she said "That would be perfect for a lot of camping trips where you just want a place to sleep!" So maybe there's one in my future? We'll see...
Go for it! The instructions are great and it's easily do-able for anyone with some patience and a good attitude. I think all in -- kit, trailer, electronics, sandpaper, etc -- mine cost about $6500.
Sponsored