SnyperX

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I installed a J&L OSC awhile back. Seems to be doing its job and catching fluid in the can as designed. What I have noticed since the install is that after coming home and parking in the garage I get a smell of oil/fuel. I don't see any leaks. I have not had any CEL lights. I have noticed any drop in MPG at all. Can anyone point in what I could check on to try and figure out the cause? Thanks!!

UPDATE: I contacted J&L some time ago and discussed my issue. They sent out new hoses they are now using. The new hoses do NOT cause the fuel/oil smell anymore.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rew409

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So I installed a J&L OSC awhile back. Seems to be doing its job and catching fluid in the can as designed. What I have noticed since the install is that after coming home and parking in the garage I get a smell of oil/fuel. I don't see any leaks. I have not had any CEL lights. I have noticed any drop in MPG at all. Can anyone point in what I could check on to try and figure out the cause? Thanks!!
It seems it should be somehow a vapor leak at a hose connection . If the can itself is not .

Rew409

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

It seems it should be somehow a vapor leak at a hose connection . If the can itself is not .
I was a aircraft mechanic and when we checked for vapor leaks we would use a spray/squirt bottle with soap and water mix . Spray it on the fittings with the engine running and if there was a leak bubbles would form .

Rew409

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I was a aircraft mechanic and when we checked for vapor leaks we would use a spray/squirt bottle with soap and water mix . Spray it on the fittings with the engine running and if there was a leak bubbles would form .
Any luck ?

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Smell the hoses. Mine started smelling after a few days and it was the gates fuel hoses, Gates 4219XL.

Replaced with Parker Super-Flex FL-7 CARB rated hoses and goodbye stink. The Parkers have a vapor barrier inner layer, the gates do not.

The removed gates hoses stunk so bad I tossed em in the trash.

Hope this helps

Sponsored

OP
OP
SnyperX

SnyperX

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Smell the hoses. Mine started smelling after a few days and it was the gates fuel hoses, Gates 4219XL.

Replaced with Parker Super-Flex FL-7 CARB rated hoses and goodbye stink. The Parkers have a vapor barrier inner layer, the gates do not.

The removed gates hoses stunk so bad I tossed em in the trash.

Hope this helps
where did you find your Parker hoses at?

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
is the oil separator can to compensate for direct injection? If it is necessary, why don’t manufacturers include it in the design?

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Goal is to capture as much of the oil that you can from being ingested thru the intake, turbo, intercooler, and eventually across the intake valves. Comes into the can as vapor, cools and drops out of the airstream into the can.

Simple catch cans require a modicum of maintenance, they need to be checked and drained occasionally lest you start to ingest liquid oil. The average owner will not do this, suffer problems and then blame the manufacturer- they don't want those problems.

Some higher end manufacturers have designed and used oil catch systems on their vehicles, generally very complicated separator units that will return the oil to the pan and drop any fuel and water into a waste receptacle where it cannot be re-ingested. Too costly and complicated for normal daily drivers.

My theory is any oil I can keep out of the intake etc is a plus, and checking / servicing the cans is zero problem for me.

CMOS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte5
is the oil separator can to compensate for direct injection? If it is necessary, why don’t manufacturers include it in the design?
@jtpc2021

Here's a very good video about GDI engines, detailing the good and the bad. He does review the issue of intake valve coking due to oil in the evap system. Take a look.

A GDI engine does have its benefits and downsides, the latter mostly driven by BS EPA requirements by the Feds.

CMOS

Sponsored

Fordzik19560

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mavrick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did have the same issue with the oil burning smell in my truck. I did take off the J&l oil catch can and the smell went away. I think those houses are no good. They are too soft. And probably leaks the vapor.

OP
OP
SnyperX

SnyperX

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did have the same issue with the oil burning smell in my truck. I did take off the J&l oil catch can and the smell went away. I think those houses are no good. They are too soft. And probably leaks the vapor.
If you contact them they will send new hoses. I don't have the smell anymore since getting the new hoses from J&L.
Sponsored