Sponsored

Front Wheel Drive Maverick Hybrid feedback?

TriGeek

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang Cobra Convertible
Hi All, new member here. I am super curious on everyone's feedback regarding the base hybrid model being front wheel drive? Living in the Salt Lake City area, it's cool to have the option of front wheel drive without having to buy a 4WD for the snow. In fact, I am not aware of any other manufacturers offering a front wheel drive pick up, but please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!
Sponsored

WhoAmI2021

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6S Wagon, E250, Kia Soul
Hyundai just launched the Santa Cruz, but that is all that I know of.

OP
OP
TriGeek

TriGeek

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Craig, that's right, I forgot about the Santa Cruz. Though I think they are going to be priced at least $5k higher than the Maverick.

WhoAmI2021

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6S Wagon, E250, Kia Soul
Craig, that's right, I forgot about the Santa Cruz. Though I think they are going to be priced at least $5k higher than the Maverick.
They are priced higher. I was interested in them and actually tried to talk to a Hyundai dealer about them, but they had little information(actually the Ford dealers were just as bad). Hyundai announced some of the pricing yesterday, and they are higher, but the trim levels seem to be higher also. I think they are aiming at a different market- definitely not me.

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
Hi All, new member here. I am super curious on everyone's feedback regarding the base hybrid model being front wheel drive? Living in the Salt Lake City area, it's cool to have the option of front wheel drive without having to buy a 4WD for the snow. In fact, I am not aware of any other manufacturers offering a front wheel drive pick up, but please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!
I believe, as the thread has laid out, that the SC is really the only other option on the market. That being said, the FWD will probably work just fine for you if you are in the valley.

I am in Suncrest, so that led me partially to the AWD. But the better capabilities for some of the access roads for trails, lakes, etc. cemented me in with the AWD/FX4 options. If you don't plan on doing a lot of that, the FWD would probably work just fine for you. The county is usually pretty good about clearing the snow down in the valley.

Good luck with your decision/purchase.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TriGeek

TriGeek

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Carl. I am very familiar with Suncrest (was just up there today). I would definitely want an AWD/4WD if I lived up there. I am in So Jo and it's relatively flat out here. You do bring up a good point about trails, lakes, etc. I would actually prefer the option of putting it into 4WD, but in all reality, I've had several 4WD's in the past and it's rare if and when I need to engage (maybe a couple times a year). Thanks for the feedback.

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
Thanks Carl. I am very familiar with Suncrest (was just up there today). I would definitely want an AWD/4WD if I lived up there. I am in So Jo and it's relatively flat out here. You do bring up a good point about trails, lakes, etc. I would actually prefer the option of putting it into 4WD, but in all reality, I've had several 4WD's in the past and it's rare if and when I need to engage (maybe a couple times a year). Thanks for the feedback.
I was just at the So Jo LHM Megaplex on Saturday with the family.

You are absolutely correct that you should be fine with a FWD in that part of the valley. I don't plan on overusing the AWD/FX4, but we do get off the beaten path several times a year. I just go along with the mindset of "better to have and not need than to need and not have". Just my own personal preference, of course, and the wife didn't tell me "no". 🤣

Good luck again with your purchase, and welcome to the forum!

TooManyVehicles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 F150 XLT, 21 BS Badlands, 22 Mav Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do you ski? If so, getting up Little/Big Cottonwood in the winter (to me) means AWD plus snows, unless you want to be one of "those" people who get stuck/off the side of the road needing towed. If you stick to the valley (or have another vehicle to take into the mountains), then FWD/Hybrid might be the way to go.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
My last three cars have been RWD, FWD and AWD, a Volvo, C-Max and Escape. We average 8 feet of snow, and none of the three ever got stuck.

IMHO, I find AWD-on-OEM tires much better than FWD-on-snows which is only a little better than RWD-on-snows. RWD is the most fun to drive...

The bigger questions are "what are you driving now?" and "does it get you where you want to go?"

OP
OP
TriGeek

TriGeek

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My last three cars have been RWD, FWD and AWD, a Volvo, C-Max and Escape. We average 8 feet of snow, and none of the three ever got stuck.

IMHO, I find AWD-on-OEM tires much better than FWD-on-snows which is only a little better than RWD-on-snows. RWD is the most fun to drive...

The bigger questions are "what are you driving now?" and "does it get you where you want to go?"
Well I drive a 98 Toyota Tacoma RWD truck, which I just bought for my business about 3 months ago. All of my other vehicles have been an AWD SUV or 4x4 trucks. I had a Mazda RWD truck about 20 years ago and when driving it in the winter, as long as I put about 200 pounds worth of rock salt in the back of the bed, I never got stuck in the snow. Oh, my other car is a 99 Mustang Cobra convertible, and that never even gets driven in the rain, let alone snow.
Sponsored