Sponsored

Regrets not waiting for all wheel drive hybrid?

MyFutureMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Am a little worried coming out of boat launches. I'm only towing a 14' aluminum so I guess front wheel drive is better than rear wheel.
You’ll definitely be better off than a rear wheel drive on a boat ramp with all the engine weight on the front and you won’t have to worry about wet rear wheel drive tires spinning.
Sponsored

notliketopgun

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none, Maverick is first car
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I really hope Ford decides to use something like an e-axle for the rear end on a future AWD hybrid Maverick. Rather than having to fit a drive shaft and other components to transfer power from the front end to the rear, you can just use electric motors and save a lot of engineering and component costs. I know it'd be expensive, but it almost makes me wonder... Would it be possible for someone to fabricate and hook up a pair of electric motors to do that? One on each rear wheel. You'd have to look at how the electric motor in the power train is connected, as well as how it's controlled by the vehicle's computer. And then you run into the problem of diverting some of that power to another motor, so without some way to supplement that, you're just reducing your front end torque.

Either way if Ford does a PHEV or keep their current power train, it'll take some work to make an AWD hybrid Maverick work. And unless they can do something to increase the output of the hybrid motor, it'll likely come at the cost of fuel efficiency + power delivery to the current one. Then again I might be wrong, as I'm a college student with a rudimentary understanding of mechanical + electric principles.

Hanto

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
With the way the market is I don't see why there's any regret. While it might be a temporary thing-- if the truck sells well the resale value will hold. Just take your order now and run with an AWD hybrid after trading away your '22 Mav.

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
Assuming your hybrid holds value. If everything goes back to the way things once were and your car won't hold value plus the new AWD hybrid will be more expensive. Either way you will pay more and not just a few hundreds but at least 4-5K more.
That’s very true, but we’d be paying more now if they had an AWD option - at least $4-5k. I’m planning for around that amount next year. Sure, there will be depreciation - regardless if the global supply chain bounces back - but I am betting on the fact that these hybrids hold value like - or even better - than most other hybrids on the market. I’m anticipating a few additional thousands next year for AWD, just as I would’ve paid more this year for it. Anyway, this is my plan. I’ll let you know how it turns out somewhere closer to 2023. 😂

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I really hope Ford decides to use something like an e-axle for the rear end on a future AWD hybrid Maverick. Rather than having to fit a drive shaft and other components to transfer power from the front end to the rear, you can just use electric motors and save a lot of engineering and component costs. I know it'd be expensive, but it almost makes me wonder... Would it be possible for someone to fabricate and hook up a pair of electric motors to do that? One on each rear wheel. You'd have to look at how the electric motor in the power train is connected, as well as how it's controlled by the vehicle's computer. And then you run into the problem of diverting some of that power to another motor, so without some way to supplement that, you're just reducing your front end torque.

Either way if Ford does a PHEV or keep their current power train, it'll take some work to make an AWD hybrid Maverick work. And unless they can do something to increase the output of the hybrid motor, it'll likely come at the cost of fuel efficiency + power delivery to the current one. Then again I might be wrong, as I'm a college student with a rudimentary understanding of mechanical + electric principles.
Doesn't the Lincoln Corsair already use rear electric motors for it's hybrid AWD?

Sponsored

helderman86

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT Maverick on order.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Toyota Prius awd uses electric motor to power rear wheels at low speeds. That’s all you’d need for the maverick at a boat ramp.

helderman86

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT Maverick on order.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I might have to try and invent a cheap fix for this. Am electric powered wheel that lowers off of the trailer hitch and lifts weight from the rear of the truck towards the front wheels. If it’s powered then it would be a bonus.
Sponsored