First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm purchasing a Maverick out of loyalty to Ford for treating me right with my current car.

I currently drive a 2012 Ford focus. When I bought it, I was happy that Ford was not bailed out like the other two bigs in Detroit. I purchased an extended warranty. There was a gas tank seal issue. I went to the dealership to get it fixed (under warranty, of course). Well, turns out it's not part of the drive train, so it wasn't covered. Last time I purchase an extended warranty.

That said about 3 months after I had it fixed, Ford issued a recall for the same issue. Bummer right, well, they reimbursed me for the work that I had previously paid for because it was the issue in the recall.

There was another recall after the fact regarding for locks. Dropped my car off at the dealership. "Here's the keys to your loaner, see you in a week."

They called back this year to do a check up on the locks and sent a person to my house to complete the check up.

All car companies issue recalls. All car companies make some cars that are lemons. I came back to Ford because in my past experience, they did me right. I fully realize that YMMV (literally, *sigh*, sorry, that was bad), but if they do me right on the Maverick like they did on my Focus, I'll continue to be a satisfied customer.
Yes I can appreciate your comment, I have been a loyal Ford customer/driver since the late 60’s, but it’s a different world today, it’s all about the Dollar and profits, customer service and keeping to your word is a thing of the past in many situations, I not necessarily saying either way is right or wrong, it might be good for some but I very cautious in today’s environment

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes I can appreciate your comment, I have been a loyal Ford customer/driver since the late 60’s, but it’s a different world today, it’s all about the Dollar and profits, customer service and keeping to your word is a thing of the past in many situations, I not necessarily saying either way is right or wrong, it might be good for some but I very cautious in today’s environment
That's more than fair. If I understand your view, I respect it.

That said, my experience has been, overall, positive. Truthfully, I don't think anything in my build is on constraint or chip hold, anyways. *Fingers crossed*;(you can see my build in the signature)

But, in my anecdotal experience, I've got no reason to think that they wouldn't follow through.

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For one it is a add on... Not a required safety feature on a vehicle.. And I'd assume the first thing their lawyer will ask is have u not been able to turn ur head and look since we'll birth
I am totally aware that it is not a required safety feature. I also dislike lawsuits, especially when I am the defendant. If you do not think 360 blind spot protection is worth it, do not buy it. Just swivel you head like an owl and hope that there is no such thing as a "blind spot". Oh, and hope that while you have your head swiveled, that a car in front of you does not slam on his brakes. I consider myself approaching late middle age as I will be 78 on my next birthday. If you are fortunate to live that long, you may find that the owl-turning head maneuver does not happen as easily as when you were a bit younger. I have to admit that my only close encounter with an accident during the past year was because I did not see a vehicle in my blind spot. I do not like the idea of losing what I have worked for all of my life in a lawsuit, and if the 360 helps me avoid that, I say great. I do not know if Ford could be named in such a lawsuit, but in today's world, people like to include parties who have "deep pockets" and Ford would qualify.

Rickydragon

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 Eco AWD Lux Pack 4K Tow Shadow Black
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am totally aware that it is not a required safety feature. I also dislike lawsuits, especially when I am the defendant. If you do not think 360 blind spot protection is worth it, do not buy it. Just swivel you head like an owl and hope that there is no such thing as a "blind spot". Oh, and hope that while you have your head swiveled, that a car in front of you does not slam on his brakes. I consider myself approaching late middle age as I will be 78 on my next birthday. If you are fortunate to live that long, you may find that the owl-turning head maneuver does not happen as easily as when you were a bit younger. I have to admit that my only close encounter with an accident during the past year was because I did not see a vehicle in my blind spot. I do not like the idea of losing what I have worked for all of my life in a lawsuit, and if the 360 helps me avoid that, I say great. I do not know if Ford could be named in such a lawsuit, but in today's world, people like to include parties who have "deep pockets" and Ford would qualify.
I would be very surprised if Ford sends trucks without chips for Co-Pilot 360. That would be very stupid. My guess would be chips for Luxury Package ie: heated seats, heated steering wheel. Ford won’t risk safety for productivity, they would have massive law suits if there were accidents.

Sponsored

davnau

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder if Ford will do the same with their expensive Mach E and Lightning line up? Don't think so.
All this is going to be a nightmare for Ford, its dealers, and the customer.

First off, to clarify, there is no such thing as having the service department of a dealer install "chips". For the last 30+ years, circuit boards almost always use what's called surface mounted components, that are assembled and soldered primarily by robots in a factory onto the circuit board of some device. It's not really possible on any sort of scale to retrofit individual components onto a circuit board. It's just too tricky. Thus, we are talking "modules", packaged as a small box that would be the field replaceable unit in a car, or computer system, for that matter. The modules are made at a factory, and when the respective "chips" or integrated circuits are available, new circuit boards are made with the now available components and packaged into modules, which would then be shipped to the assembly plant, or Ford Parts, Dealers would get modules via Ford Parts that a dealer service technician would then install.

So it looks to me Ford is thinking that certain vehicles would be shipped without certain modules that support certain vehicle features. The devil is in the details and who knows just what missing features Ford is talking about. There is simply not enough information yet.

This is really going into new territory, because it's unknown what features buyers of vehicles are willing to give up. I can see Ford trying this, but I think it's going to be an administrative and logistical nightmare. I know I would not want to pay up front for any missing feature, and for Ford and the respective dealers to keep track of what vehicle is missing what features and what a customer is owed is just going to be way too complicated to administer in any sort way that won't really hurt customer satisfaction. It can be done similarly to a recall, but this is different, as the customer would be buying up front a "defective" vehicle. I would rather wait until Ford could deliver to a complete vehicle, rather than have a partial or "defective" vehicle..

In the past, when certain components are missing at the time of manufacture, either a substitute is found and used, or the feature is missing and the price adjusted for that. There are lots of examples of this in the auto industry, and it should be done again. Recalls are bad enough, but I think shipping vehicles that don't have everything the customer ordered, yet may be paying for, is a big mistake.

I think Ford should be focused on selling vehicles with substitutions, but are complete, or sold without those features at a lower price. The customer then decides up front whether or not to buy the vehicle at a certain price with certain features/substitutions. You maybe don't get everything you want, but that is decided at the time of purchase, and the customer gets to weigh that versus other options available on the market.

Given all this, I still think to have an entry-level Maverick, Ford will offer the EB 1.5L 3 cyl as an choice for 2023. If not, Maverick production and sales will continue to be very constrained. That assumes they could make and deliver such a vehicle. If not, then it's all moot. Hybrids will continue to be scarce, and sales will suffer. Oh well.

I really don't see certain parts availability getting better for several years. Who knows when I'll get my June-ordered bare bones XL Hybrid truck. In the meantime, I will continue to get my current vehicle fixed so I can still drive and tow what I need. Only if another car maker comes out with a compact Hybrid truck with a 2000 tow rating and around 37 MPG combined, for the price of a Maverick XL Hybrid, will I consider dropping the Maverick. Otherwise, I will wait.

Last edited:

Jordon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered: XLT Hybrid, Carb Gray, Lux Pkg, Mats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a question. I keep hearing there are lots full of vehicles waiting on chips. Whose vehicles are these? Are they the dealers? Are they builds that were built, i.e. a build date was given to the buyer, and they are just sitting there waiting for chips. Or has Ford decided to not build Maverick unless they can build them complete up to now? I recently read another post on this forum about how Ford will likely only produce 1/3 of the vehicles they expected to build this model year. Is this Ford's solution to this? Have they been building Mavericks without contacting buyers because they know chips will cause a delay in shipping? Which means they could drastically increase the number of sold units over the next few months as long as buyers understand the vehicles are incomplete and they will make them complete over the next year.

I ordered a Hybrid XLT late. Early October of 2021. I see them scheduling builds for May, and I am starting to get concerned my build will get cancelled. I have not heard anything from the dealer yet about making modifications to my order, so I have begun looking into similar builds available at dealers

Hagzfilmz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ordered) 2022 Ford Maverick XLT 2.5 Cactus-G Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford will sell partially built vehicles awaiting chips or related components that control non-safety critical features, it told dealers today.

Dealers will get the missing chips within 1 year to install on the already-sold vehicles, Ford said.
Yes it sucks but it is also a way to get our trucks sooner. I would much rather have my Maverick sitting in my personal garage instead of the Mexican desert while waiting for a chip instead of a whole truck. There are some positives to this story (if even verified) but unfortunately a lot of people on these forums thrive on finding shit to get pissed off about instead of the upside. For those that are angry, I’m sure your dealer can arrange to keep your Maverick in the back corner of their dusty, rat infested lot while you wait for your heated seat chip to arrive. #ProblemSolved

Hagzfilmz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a question. I keep hearing there are lots full of vehicles waiting on chips. Whose vehicles are these? Are they the dealers? Are they builds that were built, i.e. a build date was given to the buyer, and they are just sitting there waiting for chips. Or has Ford decided to not build Maverick unless they can build them complete up to now? I recently read another post on this forum about how Ford will likely only produce 1/3 of the vehicles they expected to build this model year. Is this Ford's solution to this? Have they been building Mavericks without contacting buyers because they know chips will cause a delay in shipping? Which means they could drastically increase the number of sold units over the next few months as long as buyers understand the vehicles are incomplete and they will make them complete over the next year.

I ordered a Hybrid XLT late. Early October of 2021. I see them scheduling builds for May, and I am starting to get concerned my build will get cancelled. I have not heard anything from the dealer yet about making modifications to my order, so I have begun looking into similar builds available at dealers
[/QUOTEs

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
I have relied on this system since 2016 in my Rav4. With so many trucks, large SUV's and shopping carts running around parking lots and the idiots that use the parking lot as a race track, your peripheral vision and neck movement can only go so far unless your an owl.

It has saved my rear end on many occasions due to ignorant drivers that will not allow anybody a chance to back out but expect other people to let them back out.

On a lighter note, the Dollar Store is the $1.25 Store now.

Sponsored

Hagzfilmz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I’m an early Oct order also Hybrid / 360 / lux / moonroof. Still no build date but did crash my dealers sales and gm’s office last week and both are extremely confident it will be delivered this year and not pushed to 2023. Showed me the list of recent deliveries and where im at in lineup . Ford Mo Co also confirms Order is in the process phase. So I’m not giving up hope quite yet. The GM also did say more people than expected are coming in, looking at their order that arrived and canceling. Many due to the economic crisis, inflation or just not what they expected when seen in person. So you may be able to find what your looking for at a premium. Good luck

Deleted member 9552

Sounds like innovative Henry Ford type
"Let's get these Model T's moving NOW!!" type of action.

There is little chance I get a MY22 with my late order. I am at the very back of the line and would not mind moving over to the express lane for non critical chips. Sounds like a few front of the line people here are totally against it anyway. I can buy the chips on ebay for $1 each, later when the dust settles, haha.
Although,
Does anyone know exactly how they would add a chip?
Do they use a soldering iron on a circuit board or is it just plug and play with a module?
Super easy, or harder?
Hopefully it is just a plug and PRAY module...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mag Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
BOTTOM LINE !!!! Ford is going to do this whether we like it or not put trucks out there that are not 100% complete what the hell is in it 4 the customer I'm talking Cold Hard Cash reduction in price 1 thousand dollars in Ford accessories what's in it for us that's what I want to know we're the ones getting the shaft and fords getting the damn oil well.🙁

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
BOTTOM LINE !!!! Ford is going to do this whether we like it or not put trucks out there that are not 100% complete what the hell is in it 4 the customer I'm talking Cold Hard Cash reduction in price 1 thousand dollars in Ford accessories what's in it for us that's what I want to know we're the ones getting the shaft and fords getting the damn oil well.🙁
YEAH! That's it, I'm walking! Ford can keep my truck :ROFLMAO:

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Lariat Maverick and 2019 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Am I the only one happy about this? I've been limping my current car along since August. I could live without heated seats and would prefer my truck to not be sitting in the Mexican desert.
I'm cheering as well. 100% good to go without heated seats, steering and other no safety features.
Please do this Ford, BUT give customers a chance to opt out and get bumped to MY23.
Sponsored