First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can see this really being beneficial for a PEV being towed behind an RV. Could charge up while driving to your destination and be ready to go when you get there

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
This is a great idea only if the towing vehicle receives substantial benefit. A little less drag and better braking won't be enough, and there's no way you charge-while-driving because of the huge penalty to the towing vehicle.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did no read the article, but, having the toad re-charge its battery whenever the 'towed vehicle' brakes are applied, expectedly by a brake controller in the towing vehicle, makes good sense to me. I don't see a significant cost to develop a switch selection that would allow the recupertion of energy instead of dumping it to heat with the vehicle brakes, just as it does in normal, powered operation. Just don't flip the traction motor to the 'drive' electrical position when traveling at speed, but do flip to regeneration when brakes are called for.
tom

WhoAmI2021

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6S Wagon, E250, Kia Soul
I think this is a great idea. Towed vehicles over 3000lbs in most states require brake application anyway, why not use this braking to regenerate the battery. I think it would be a great solution for RV'ers and may do something to speed the implementation of EV in that market.
Sponsored