Ford Dealer Salesman Info

NavyBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Stopped at my local Ford Dealer today and asked about any knowledge that had on the New Maverick Pickup. They admitted that they do not know anything other than what is available online. In fact the sales person recommended a web site to get the latest info, it was "mavericktruckclub". So it seems that the sales team members are not being informed of what is going on with the new Maverick Truck. Maybe management are the only ones getting the info from Ford.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NavyBob

NavyBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
The sales people are well aware of the new Maverick Truck, they just have to get their information from the "outside".

Reactions: Doc

Woody_Finch

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Frontier, 2012 Focus, 2011 Fiesta
The sales people are well aware of the new Maverick Truck, they just have to get their information from the "outside".
I had my Focus in for service at a Ford dealer recently. The salesmen there had never even heard of the Maverick when I mentioned it. I suppose it depends on the dealership, but my experience is that car salesmen know almost nothing about their products, and instead all their training is about how to do the closing paperwork. It's unfortunate and a missed opportunity to develop trust with buyers, and is getting less and less effective now that everyone can see prices, reviews, and specs right on their phone. It's also why traditional dealerships are going to get clobbered by direct-to-consumer models like those at Carvana and Tesla.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 Sonata
Engine
Undecided
Well, sure, anyone can be as informed as we are just by looking at the interwebs. My point is that I don't think Ford would trust what are essentially franchised dealers, not "true" Ford employees, with their confidential goings on. Not until they publicly acknowledge the product and/or have good marketing in place. Otherwise that's a lot of loose cannons running around. haha

Just my thoughts based on my experience working at a company which routinely creates new or updated products that are absolutely confidential until released.
True. But even after the information is released, sales staff can still be 'ignorant'. When I ordered my 2019 Ranger, my assigned salesman, who by the way was a long time veteran at this dealship, was only vaguely aware of the Ranger, and certainly wasn't aware of model differences. They're likely to not know any more than they are required to know, unless they're just interested. In the end, it's how many sales did they finalize.

Sponsored

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
It's sad the amount of times I've been to a dealer and found the sales person not knowing things that where ON THE BROCHURE, a new car comes out every 4 years, I'm sure at some point they can find the time to read it, I don't care how many IIHS awards or golden globes the car won, tell me if the thing has drums or disks in the back instead

99Mustang

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mustang 07 F150 17 Fiesta
Stopped at my local Ford Dealer today and asked about any knowledge that had on the New Maverick Pickup. They admitted that they do not know anything other than what is available online. In fact the sales person recommended a web site to get the latest info, it was "mavericktruckclub". So it seems that the sales team members are not being informed of what is going on with the new Maverick Truck. Maybe management are the only ones getting the info from Ford.
Thanks for the info, It sounds like we can go to a Ford dealer and give THEM the latest updaes.

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
Went by to Test Drive a Ranger today. I mentioned the Maverick and he had no clue and thought I was talking about the Ranger Tremor.
I went to check out an Escape today at the same dealership with the same rep as before. I wanted to see the inside and how the 1.5 L drove since it’s supposed to be similar to the Maverick.

The rep told me again he had never heard of it and then asked a colleague of his. Another nothing burger.

I will say I enjoyed the cabin of the Escape. Very sharp and functional.

Feldgary53

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Maverick incoming, ‘13 Porsche 911,‘19 Audi Q3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
I went to check out an Escape today at the same dealership with the same rep as before. I wanted to see the inside and how the 1.5 L drove since it’s supposed to be similar to the Maverick.

The rep told me again he had never heard of it and then asked a colleague of his. Another nothing burger.

I will say I enjoyed the cabin of the Escape. Very sharp and functional.
Idk how the escape's look will age, but something about it always catches my eye when I see one on the street

Sponsored
OP
OP
NavyBob

NavyBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Just saw this article on CNBC app. Ford started production on new "C" (compact) pickup in Mexico. Obviously just test vehicles but it's a start!
https://apple.news/AywnN1_6iTlSH4u1S3VlqPQ
I wonder if there a any Auto Spy Photographers hiding out at the plant in Mexico to get Pictures of these units coming out of the factory? Would be nice!

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
I wasn't a big fan of the new even more citified Escape look for this generation. But when my wife started looking at them I began to warm to it. Now, I'm quite a fan of her Hybrid one we have sitting in our garage next to my 5g Ranger. It's a long ways from what the Escape started as, but it's a darn near perfect everyday/commuter/road trip vehicle.
Yeah, to be honest I don’t love the exterior, but when I hopped in I felt at home. Very roomy and modern. More than enough “technology” in the second trim.

I was super impressed with how much space there was in the second row. I’d be totally comfortable riding in the back on a long road trip.

It’s not the perfect vehicle for me or my family, but I 100% see the appeal. I enjoyed it much better than a Nissan Rogue we looked at a few months ago .

OP
OP
NavyBob

NavyBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
I'm surprised by that since they still haven't even officially acknowledged it's existence. Usually they at least say something about it between experimental/prototype/proof of concept vehicles and building the test platforms.
According to the Apple story they have acknowledged that it does exist and they are doing a "production run" to see how it is to build on the line with the Bronco. Now we only need Ford to show us a picture !

Tombrowski

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Explorer
Speaking as a sales manager at a dealer, any bit of information a dealer has on the Maverick is purely info gathered from the web. Often times, the general public will see a good deal of information prior to any dealership staff. Dealers found out about Ford cutting passenger vehicles from news outlets (and customers who had seen it) before we got any official word from Ford.

With that being said, I know there are surely some salespeople that don't have the product knowledge they truly should have or it would make sense for them to be car/truck enthusiasts that would spend free time searching the web and finding really good forums like this one (like myself).

Looking on the other hand, you have to think that the Transit alone has 136 different configurations, not including options/packages. It is a massive amount of information to try and retain and have ready at a moment's notice, while also keeping up with mid-model year updates/changes, and all of the other processes with the sales themselves (while also trying to get a bit of a mechanical idea of how stuff works because it can be just as frustrating as a customer when you have to go in for service). And god only knows you can go online and find "rumors" that were created out of thin air, but people will take that as gospel. Example, we got shouted at because we refused to show someone the 2021 Ford Excursion (Explained the Expedition/Explorer/Escape/EcoSport to the customer to make sure they weren't just confused by the name, went on the web to find anything close to reputable that says an Excursion was planned, all fell on deaf ears).

No excuse for a salesperson who doesn't try or at least try to have resources available to get the info to you.

Just hang in there and find someone that gels with you, odds are they'll appreciate and learn from the research and information you've been able to pick up from places like this!
Sponsored