Sponsored

FlexBed 12V Lighting and Power Addon DIY

sitruunatee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Hey guys! Wanted some more power and additional lighting so I made this. My first time doing anything electrical but it works pretty good. The lighting is absolutely eye searing.

Uses a marine USB with voltmeter and 12v with a rocker switch. Tied in another switch for the lighting. Tested under full USB and cigarette lighter (using an air compressor) load with light on.

See the mini tutorial below.

Enjoy!
Sponsored

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey guys! Wanted some more power and additional lighting so I made this. My first time doing anything electrical but it works pretty good. The lighting is absolutely eye searing.

Uses a marine USB with voltmeter and 12v with a rocker switch. Tied in another switch for the lighting. Tested under full USB and cigarette lighter (using an air compressor) load with light on.

See the mini tutorial below.

Enjoy!
That looks awesome! Do you speak English? HAHAHA... wish I had that knowledge... what was the time invested? And about how much in overall Co$t?

OP
OP
sitruunatee

sitruunatee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
That looks awesome! Do you speak English? HAHAHA... wish I had that knowledge... what was the time invested? And about how much in overall Co$t?
I reckon I do speak English if Texan counts. You don’t really need any knowledge. I had zero when I started; maybe 2 hours of research. I think I spent about 2 hours of labor this morning. The total for the supplies and parts was about 100 bucks.

ldanielsjr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer XLT / 2018 Ford Expedition Ltd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
:) wow - nice job! That looks really good, better than most options I've seen for that cubby.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sitruunatee

sitruunatee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Please share your full supply/part list!
Unfortunately this forum kills Amazon links. If you search 12v LED, 12v marine power, and 12v marine rocker, you will find all of these components in a minute or two.

I got the cheapest soldering iron, heat gun, and shrink connectors that I could find. I used a less than one inch hole bit but I should have used a 1 inch. I used a Dremel on the big cut out.

About 2 hours total I think. I watched a video about wiring marine panels and then one about how to solder.

OP
OP
sitruunatee

sitruunatee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
:) wow - nice job! That looks really good, better than most options I've seen for that cubby.
Thanks! I wasn’t using it at all, so this was way better, and it’s still functional for storing things if I ever need it.

IronHammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue XLT (no lux) FX4, 4K
Very nice! I plan to use a similar setup to build my own DIY 12v panel (I've got an XLT arriving soon without the lux package). I plan to do a rocker switch (blue LED) for a utility light (like yours), a USB A port, USB C port, 12v power point and a switch to control LED bed lighting up both sides.

OP
OP
sitruunatee

sitruunatee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Very nice! I plan to use a similar setup to build my own DIY 12v panel (I've got an XLT arriving soon without the lux package). I plan to do a rocker switch (blue LED) for a utility light (like yours), a USB A port, USB C port, 12v power point and a switch to control LED bed lighting up both sides.
That should work great. I am tempted to add 12v LED strips but I really question how much more light I need after the default one on the 110v and the Touchlink. Maybe if I get bored!

IronHammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue XLT (no lux) FX4, 4K
TDTV has a quick Youtube video on how to add a 12v accessory panel to XL/XLT
Sponsored