Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Extra Ford e-DIY pigtail connectors can be purchased from dealerships as needed.
If it were me, I'd just connect a 2-pin Deutsch DT or Amphenol AT (generic, but mechanically identical) connector to the end of each included Ford e-DIY pigtail.

Deutsch DT connectors are way more common in the aftermarket, both for raw connector components and accessories that utilize the connector (such as LED off road lights).

I also wouldn't suggest soldering wires. Closed-barrel crimping is easier, faster, and is the specified method for some OEMs for repairing wiring harnesses.

I'm not talking about those red/blue/yellow insulated connectors you get from Harbor Freight or Auto Zone, but using UL-listed uninsulated barrel connectors from a reputable manufacturer like Morris Products, crimping them with Channel Lock 909 pliers or similar, and covering them with adhesive-lined shrink tubing. Guaranteed that you'll have minimal electrical resistance and that the wire will snap before the connector lets go.

PandaSlash

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Optima
Why hard wire an air compressor if you can just use the outlet in the back.

I realize this is just a demo/example but is there really a benefit to the 12V over the outlet besides freeing it up?

Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can someone explain why I want to be doing this? If I want to use an air compressor, wouldn't I just plug it into the 110 outlet or the cigarette lighter plug? Why would I hardwire an air compressor to the truck? Are there other more useful uses for the 12v wiring?

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can someone explain why I want to be doing this? If I want to use an air compressor, wouldn't I just plug it into the 110 outlet or the cigarette lighter plug? Why would I hardwire an air compressor to the truck? Are there other more useful uses for the 12v wiring?
I too cannot figure out what I would use this for- wondering what others are planning for these.

caring1

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, Tesla, Ford
I too cannot figure out what I would use this for- wondering what others are planning for these.
Planning on installing a socket panel into the right tray for various things but mainly to power my drones battery charger and turn on bed lights. Will also be nice to have one of the power sockets to charge the phone or iPad.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Compact compressors designed for 12V are more common than a compact air compressor that's <400W 110V.
I'm seeing the exact same situation for 12V refrigerators vs trying to find something that's <400W but 110V.

Sponsored

potatosalad

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder how both LED strips are connected together? It looks like maybe each has it's own switch. I would ideally like to use only one circuit and switch to run both strips- just not sure how to get the wire from one side of the bed to the other.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder how both LED strips are connected together? It looks like maybe each has it's own switch. I would ideally like to use only one circuit and switch to run both strips- just not sure how to get the wire from one side of the bed to the other.
Why don't you connect them on the far side of the bed (the side with the rear window)?

potatosalad

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why don't you connect them on the far side of the bed (the side with the rear window)?
Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. I'm hoping there is a place i can tuck/run the wires.

caring1

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, Tesla, Ford
Been trying to figure out the same thing and haven’t been able to come up with anything yet. :( Closest I’ve found is a YouTube video dropping a wire under the bed along the gate to the other side. Don’t want to have 2 switches so there has to be a way to hide it all. Might be something that just needs to be tinkered with when it finally arrives.

SteelixRebel

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Chevy Colorado
Anyone know if there's a step by step write up of the instructions on these projects. So far all I've found is the YouTube video from Ford.
Sponsored