FITS ball mount for phone holders

Pubicenemy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Many phone holders -- whether they clip on the vent or stick on the dash or whatever -- are basically on a pivot that is a ball mount. I've been able to frankenstein together different mounting points and holders after realizing that ball mount seems to be standard-sized. Is any body up for the challenge of disassembling a cheap phone holder, scanning or drawing the ball joint portion, and putting it on a FITS piece? I think it would be great to be able to use my favorite holder with all the moving parts on something that goes into a FITS slot. But I don't have the technical skills or equipment to execute the idea.
Sponsored

akro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Ecoboost XL AWD
Thanks. Unfortunately, theirs is a bit bigger and not quite the standard phone mount size.
Which do you need?
I have a few already up: https://www.etsy.com/shop/AkroHD?ref=l2-about-shopname or akrodesigns.com
in the works are the 17mm receiver and the angled 17mm ball.

I also designed these for my Cubby Mount HEX cubby inserts. These work the best that I've tried and i think I've tried all of them. Vent clips are always flimsy to me but i am a bit on the picky side.

Ford Maverick FITS ball mount for phone holders CubbyMount_2022-Mar-29_08-52-09AM-000_CustomizedView9510893495

Ford Maverick FITS ball mount for phone holders CubbyMount_2022-Mar-29_07-26-56AM-000_CustomizedView9350061797

Sponsored

Ganfan

Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick (ordered)
Many phone holders -- whether they clip on the vent or stick on the dash or whatever -- are basically on a pivot that is a ball mount. I've been able to frankenstein together different mounting points and holders after realizing that ball mount seems to be standard-sized. Is any body up for the challenge of disassembling a cheap phone holder, scanning or drawing the ball joint portion, and putting it on a FITS piece? I think it would be great to be able to use my favorite holder with all the moving parts on something that goes into a FITS slot. But I don't have the technical skills or equipment to execute the idea.

Il take a crack at this. Il post here when it's ready. To confirm you want the ball on a fits mount that. Regular phone holder can attach too.

OP
OP

Pubicenemy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
That's right. You kind of have to disassemble a cheap regular phone holder to see the ball I'm looking for. It's typically inside the pivot point of a vent-clip holder or something. That sticking out from a FITS piece would be ideal.

FOLIMON

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
IF someone could make a FITS piece with a 1/4 20 threaded hole you could buy whatever size ball mount you want / need and just screw it in. That would be ideal. I would buy one immediately.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Pubicenemy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Il take a crack at this. Il post here when it's ready. To confirm you want the ball on a fits mount that. Regular phone holder can attach too.
It seems like there's a little more variability than I thought. The 17mm ball, which is what the refinedtruck guys made, seems to be the most standard size now. Some of my older cheapie holders seemed to be smaller like maybe 12mm or something. But I've been able to make the 17mm work by updating my holders

Sponsored

bringjustn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cruze, 22 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems like there's a little more variability than I thought. The 17mm ball, which is what the refinedtruck guys made, seems to be the most standard size now. Some of my older cheapie holders seemed to be smaller like maybe 12mm or something. But I've been able to make the 17mm work by updating my holders
If you want a 12mm one, I can add that design too. I'm pretty sure that i will need a 17mm for my mount.

bringjustn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cruze, 22 Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I printed all three yesterday. I tested the Ball mount with my iOttie One Touch 3. It works perfectly with the Factory FITS slot, though its a bit loose in the Cubby hole adapter V1.

In general a great addition to the 3D Printed Things.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5208482

Glad to hear they fit, I'm printing the ball mount and the cubby adapter now. Just got word my truck is ready for pick up today. Figure annoy the my salesman when I insist to test fit my printed parts before signing the paperwork.