abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The main reason tinting is illegal, is because cops need to see what is happening inside cars at any given time (for example during a pursuit or if they do a DUI checkpoint etc). The driver seat is the most important therefore they don't care much about the back windwos. Cops dont need to see what is going on in cop cars therefore it is not illegal. Many cops have even their personal cars completely tinted in order to protect their identity from criminals, this is most probably illegal but most cops know what they partners drive and never stop them.
Somewhere in here I'M sure there is a legitimate reason for cops to break the law, I just can't find it.
I know the X chief of police, I asked him if it's ok to follow a sheriff doing 100+ for 10 miles, NO FLASHING LIGHTS till he stopped for lunch(I have and will continue TO). He said I could but probably not a good idea 😎 the LUNCH MIGHT turn into a life or death cheese burger.
Sponsored

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Somewhere in here I'M sure there is a legitimate reason for cops to break the law, I just can't find it.
I know the X chief of police, I asked him if it's ok to follow a sheriff doing 100+ for 10 miles, NO FLASHING LIGHTS till he stopped for lunch(I have and will continue TO). He said I could but probably not a good idea 😎 the LUNCH MIGHT turn into a life or death cheese burger.
You are comparing apples with oranges. It is a completely different story when a cop goes over 100 miles just for fun and puts the life of other people in danger and a cop who drives a car with tinted windows. By tinting their windows, they are not putting anybody in danger, they are just protecting themselves from criminals. We all know criminals don't like cops, especially cops who arrested them at one point. Cops just don't want to be recognized by certain individuals when they drive around, especially when they are in their personal vehicles and off duty. It seems you know a cop, ask him, I am sure he can tell you more about it. I am not saying all cops are saints but there are more than enough Youtube Videos showing cops arresting cops (both on and off duty)doing shady things including speeding or drunk driving.

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are comparing apples with oranges. It is a completely different story when a cop goes over 100 miles just for fun and puts the life of other people in danger and a cop who drives a car with tinted windows. By tinting their windows, they are not putting anybody in danger, they are just protecting themselves from criminals. We all know criminals don't like cops, especially cops who arrested them at one point. Cops just don't want to be recognized by certain individuals when they drive around, especially when they are in their personal vehicles and off duty. It seems you know a cop, ask him, I am sure he can tell you more about it. I am not saying all cops are saints but there are more than enough Youtube Videos showing cops arresting cops (both on and off duty)doing shady things including speeding or drunk driving.
Great response, they tint for personal and family protection.

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The ol double standard, do as I SAY not as I do!

I've had a few tickets, for 15mph over, NEVER FOR 30+ over.
You can try to justify cops doing 110+ in a 70, not going to change my mind however on the same highway (US 287) I've been passed by Sheriff's doing way over 75 with LIGHTS ON
absolutely
no problem :)

If you're getting a glimmer of the way I'm thinking (y)
If not..... move on I am.

Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Depends how anal you are. A lot of tints have a different, uhhh, tint to them.

But seriously, some 35% look more silver, some more blue, some more brown. I couldn't get an exact match to the factory tint on my Ram 1500. He brought everything out and we picked the closest but its not quite as brown as the factory one. You can't tell from outside the vehicle, but looking out through both windows you can see its not the same.
I was talking percentages. Being colorblind I never noticed a difference in tint colors so meh.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bret Maverick

Bret Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
ohhh why didn't you say so sooner, my dad and several vietnan buddies have a medical exemption from his doctor, he can legally have a 20% on his vehicle, he carries a prescription with him for when he does get pullover not so much locally since local sheriff knows him and his car but it happens a lot when he goes to the city, so all you need is talk to your doctor and get something similar if your injury is documented I don't see why you couldn't get it.
Thanks I'll look into that option.

RGinFL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Front window tint is the first thing on my list. I was planning to beat up the dealer and see if they will throw it in for free. Most of them do window tinting. There was not much negotiation buying a pre-production vehicle so maybe they will. If not, there are some good tint shops around. I ask them to put on the darkest tint that is legal.
I too am light sensitive and in FL it is tough driving without some tint on the front windows. I usually have them put a strip on the windshield but it can't interfere with any sensors and they can't install that strip below the rear view mirror. Not sure how that would work on the Maverick - it has a big sensor area on the top middle windshield around the rearview.

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Front window tint is the first thing on my list. I was planning to beat up the dealer and see if they will throw it in for free. Most of them do window tinting. There was not much negotiation buying a pre-production vehicle so maybe they will. If not, there are some good tint shops around. I ask them to put on the darkest tint that is legal.
I too am light sensitive and in FL it is tough driving without some tint on the front windows. I usually have them put a strip on the windshield but it can't interfere with any sensors and they can't install that strip below the rear view mirror. Not sure how that would work on the Maverick - it has a big sensor area on the top middle windshield around the rearview.
Shouldn't be a problem.
You can legally tint from the top of the windshield to the AS1 line, might take 2 pieces of tint, 1 on eash side of the blacked out sensor area.

russross

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A couple additional notes:

Heat rejection is not the same as visible light rejection. Each film will have separate ratings for light rejection and heat rejection. Good quality films will reject a lot of heat even with relatively little light rejection, and you generally get diminishing returns on heat rejection as you go darker and darker with the tint. Good quality films will reject something like 99% of UV rays even for their lightest tint shades.

My state does not allow any tint on the windshield (other than a strip at the top) but several installers I talked to said they had a barely-visible tint specifically for windshields that would still reject a lot of heat and UV and it would be so light that it would be hard to spot. I did not opt for that ultimately, but even with just the legal limit on the front windows (74% or something like that) and a moderate shade on the back windows it made a huge, very noticeable difference in comfort. The AC was able to keep up a lot easier and the back seats didn't get as hot (the car did not have any rear AC vents). It was $150 well spent.

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most(if not all) SUV/trucks come with 30% in the back windows which is illegal in the front in most states so make sure you do your due diligence.

Also a few states have changed their law where tint tickets are no longer just "fix it" tickets so after a 4th tint ticket they revoke your registration aka vehicles becomes a paperweight until you jump through god knows how many hoops.

Not trying to tell you what to do or not do but mentioning this since your question implies that you don't know much about tinting and the laws behind it.
Where are you getting this info? Do you wear a tinfoil hat every time you leave the house? The days of ticketing for too dark of tint is long gone except in the most strict places. Ive had dark tint on everything going back to the 1980s with the old Dr Note saying I need it. The gloom and doom you are spreading is BS. Most states have now adopoted dark window tints and being green. Even in this $hithole state of Illinois. Unless your tint is the darkest of the limos nobody will be hassling you. The people who get tint tickets are gangbangers and people who get pulled over for speeding and running their mouths. Matching the rear in most vehicles is not even that dark, 30% as the light from the windshield makes it seems lighter.

Iowas law allows for 30%tint which matches the factory.

On a side note if you get pulled over roll both front windows down. There is no reason to lift them back up during a stop to let an officer "gauge" or "measure" the transparancy other than to incriminate yourself.

Last edited:
Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Iowa

Ford Maverick Factory window tint on Maverick XL ? Screenshot_20210830-035101_Office

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
FLORIDA

Ford Maverick Factory window tint on Maverick XL ? Screenshot_20210830-035542_Firefox

neosolidus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has 2 or more wheels and an engine!
Engine
Undecided
Where are you getting this info? Do you wear a tinfoil hat everytime you leave the house? The days of ticketing for too dark of tint is long gone except in the most strict places. Ive had dark tint on everything going back to the 1980s with the old Dr Note saying I need it. The gloom and doom you are spreading is BS. Most states have now adpoted dark window tints and being green. Even in this $hithole state of Illinois. Unless your tint is the darkest of the limos nobody will be hassling you. The people who get tint tickets are gangbangets and people who get pulled over for speeding and running their mouths. Matching the rear in most vebicles is not even that dark, 30% as the light from the windshield makes it seems lighter.

Iowas law allows for 30%tint which matches the factory.

On a side note if you get pulled over roll both front windows down. There is no reason to lift them back up during a stop to let an officer "gauge" or "measure" the transparancy other than to incriminate yourself.
https://www.tinting-laws.com/minnesota/

As far as the changes to the enforcement, both MN and Utah have made the change that I know of, just because you have gotten away with it doesn't make it any less illegal for certain states.

Also not spreading doom and gloom as you say, from my first post I told him to do his due diligence based on his state laws.

Window tinting is state controlled so enforcement varies a lot, some small cities like to use that as a cash grab others ignore them.
Sponsored

Last edited: