First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am happy to tell you that I think about going on a journey to Portugal the next year. I have learned from reading that in Europe, pickup trucks are not very common because the streets are more narrow. Since I'm planning to rent a vehicle similar to the Maverick for my trip, I'm curious if anyone has suggestions for alternatives that might be more suitable for navigating Portugal's roads. Any recommendations or insights would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance. :like:
Sponsored

robertlapp

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTI with APR computer mod
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

We were in Portugal 4 years ago and the roads were amazing! Lots of 4 lane but almost all toll roads. We rented a small Toyota for 2 weeks for $56 dollars total. Be sure to get an easy-pass for the tolls. Spent more on tolls than the car costs and was still getting charges on my credit card 2 weeks after we got home for tolls. But the roads were great. My Portuguese friend said the roads were the result of Germany wanting great roads for EU trade. However, the roads in the cities like Lisbo and Porto are pretty narrow. Have fun, I would love to go back.

Panther City Outdoors

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I lived in Europe for a while, rent the smallest, most economical (usually cheapest) car you feel comfortable with. Much easier to get around, easier to park, and easer on the wallet . Have fun, its a great country. I should add, when you get to a town, find the first parking spot you can, and then walk.

OP
OP

joestruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We were in Portugal 4 years ago and the roads were amazing! Lots of 4 lane but almost all toll roads. We rented a small Toyota for 2 weeks for $56 dollars total. Be sure to get an easy-pass for the tolls. Spent more on tolls than the car costs and was still getting charges on my credit card 2 weeks after we got home for tolls. But the roads were great. My Portuguese friend said the roads were the result of Germany wanting great roads for EU trade. However, the roads in the cities like Lisbo and Porto are pretty narrow. Have fun, I would love to go back.
Thank you for sharing your experience in Portugal, @robertlapp! It's great to hear about the amazing roads and the tip about getting an easy-pass for tolls. The insight about the roads being a result of Germany's influence for EU trade is fascinating. I appreciate the heads-up about the narrow roads in cities like Lisbon and Porto. Your enthusiasm for returning is contagious, and I'm looking forward to exploring Portugal's roads and cities.

OP
OP

joestruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I lived in Europe for a while, rent the smallest, most economical (usually cheapest) car you feel comfortable with. Much easier to get around, easier to park, and easer on the wallet . Have fun, its a great country. I should add, when you get to a town, find the first parking spot you can, and then walk.
I really appreciate your advice on renting the smallest and most economical car for navigating Portugal's narrow streets! Opting for a compact vehicle not only makes it easier to maneuver through tight spaces but also helps with parking and overall convenience. Walking around town after finding a parking spot is a great tip to explore and enjoy the local sights. Thank you for sharing these practical and valuable insights for a smoother and more enjoyable travel experience in Portugal, @Panther City Outdoors! According to some online resources that I have read, English is widely understood and spoken in Lisbon, and other major tourist spots. However, I might encounter some who don't speak and understand English outside these popular tourist destinations. I'm thinking of getting a local tour guide, for example from https://gowithguide.com/portugal/guides to help me navigate and communicate with locals on some off-the-beaten-path destinations.

Sponsored

Panther City Outdoors

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
, I might encounter some who don't speak and understand English
there are some really good translation apps that you speak English to your phone, then it repeats/says or types it in the selected foreign language.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I lived in Germany for two years as USAF, and traveled Europe extensively. I echo the advice above. Get the smallest vehicle you can live with. Gas is crazy expensive. And unless you stick to major roads, you're gonna get something like the Maverick wedged between two buildings. The roads in older parts of towns are glorified cart paths.

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Portugal/gasoline_prices/

For gallons, multiply liters by 3.8, so $7 and change per gallon. Oh, and BEVs are very popular in Europe, so they're very rentable if you're so inclined.

Oh, and FWIW, you are in the Old World. Which means Old World crime. Which means if you're wallet or phone or purse isn't behind ironclad security, a pickpocket will get it in those cities. As aircrews, we chased down more than one pickpocket. They were fast, but we were faster.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oh, and don't take photos of sheepherders without permission. We had a crewmember do that once, and the herder came after him with an axe on the public street. We were all ROTFL, because the crewmember had arrogantly ignored our cultural in briefing. We just watched him run for his life as we guffawed.

OP
OP

joestruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
there are some really good translation apps that you speak English to your phone, then it repeats/says or types it in the selected foreign language.
Using translation apps that allow you to speak in English and have it translated into Portuguese is a fantastic tip for overcoming language barriers while in Portugal. Some tools can even work offline, and can be incredibly helpful in facilitating communication and enhancing the overall travel experience, especially when interacting with individuals who may not speak or understand English. Thank you for sharing this, @Panther City Outdoors!

OP
OP

joestruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I lived in Germany for two years as USAF, and traveled Europe extensively. I echo the advice above. Get the smallest vehicle you can live with. Gas is crazy expensive. And unless you stick to major roads, you're gonna get something like the Maverick wedged between two buildings. The roads in older parts of towns are glorified cart paths.

https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Portugal/gasoline_prices/

For gallons, multiply liters by 3.8, so $7 and change per gallon. Oh, and BEVs are very popular in Europe, so they're very rentable if you're so inclined.

Oh, and FWIW, you are in the Old World. Which means Old World crime. Which means if you're wallet or phone or purse isn't behind ironclad security, a pickpocket will get it in those cities. As aircrews, we chased down more than one pickpocket. They were fast, but we were faster.
Thank you for sharing your real-world experiences living in Germany and traveling extensively throughout Europe, @Scott Asheville. The practical advice to opt for smaller rental vehicles in Portugal due to narrow streets and fuel prices is thoughtful. I appreciate the reminder too about pickpocketing in some major cities. Electric vehicles as a rental option is interesting, however, the number of charging stations outside Lisbon may limit their effectiveness https://www.electromaps.com/en/charging-stations/portugal. Firsthand knowledge from those well-versed in a destination's culture and logistics helps newcomers make the most of their trip.

OP
OP

joestruck

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oh, and don't take photos of sheepherders without permission. We had a crewmember do that once, and the herder came after him with an axe on the public street. We were all ROTFL, because the crewmember had arrogantly ignored our cultural in briefing. We just watched him run for his life as we guffawed.
Thanks for sharing that funny story, @Scott Asheville! It really shows how much we should pay attention to local ways and traditions when we are traveling. Knowing the customs of a place can improve your travel experience and prevent uncomfortable situations. Your story is a hilarious but insightful lesson in cultural sensitivity abroad. Speaking of restrictions, I also heard dashcams might be illegal in Portugal due to privacy laws.
Sponsored