Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

i have the same bedliner loved it . the only problem that i had was that most the stuff slides around the bed . so i install the the rubber mat too and it helps and the divider.

OP
OP
Last Truck Ever

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Awesome work and I loved the write up. I installed mine from watching a couple of vids but for the life of me I couldnt find the PDF instructions to print out. That said I made several mistakes and I am not a gray haired lady :) but I do qualify with some salt and pepper. Overall I thought the install was a fun and easy install for folks that have watched the vids AND have the written instructions. I totally agree with you about the tail gate piece.....what the heck were they thinking? My biggest issues were having to remove the side panels no less then 4 times after I thought I was done to drill more holes for more gadgets. For example I am not going to install the bed track cleat system but I did want access to those threaded holes....call me crazy but not all were marked...I think only two were marked for the track system. I hole sawed 4 holes on each side for D rings that I have along my side panels. Then when I thought I was done for sure.....I forgot the darn power outlets in the back were covered up!!!! So I removed the panels again and made cut outs so I had access to the power outlets. ( which I believe yours are covered up :( ) ........and the last time I removed the darn side panels was for the additional OEM tie down towards the tailgate.....my XL only came with two but there are threaded holes for four so I removed and cut that out then installed the Amazon version of the OEM tie downs and now have 4. So in the end I feel like I got a D- due to having to remove my side panels and make corrections so many times but this info was not in the vids that I watched and I had no paper instructions. I am very impressed with your skill set and you did an awesome job!
Yes, I covered up the power outlets because I have no plans at all to use them, but since I also inserted one of the side panels at least twice, just figuring out how to seat it properly, I also now know how easy it is to remove if I do decide to use the outlets at some point, or install a rail system, which I can't see me using, either. At this point in my dotage I'm more likely to make a Sam's run or a Home Depot run than hauling people's washers for them or anything! So the tie downs I have currently are more than sufficient.

And no one gets a D- who FINISHES the job, so I give you an A!!

Oh, and for anyone who is interested, the PDF instructions I printed out came from the Ford accessories website, it's linked on the page where you order the bedliner (takes you to another website where you have to find it in a list, but easy).

Sponsored

Barksdale123

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Congrats! Hilarious and helpful.

Personally went with the spray in but after all the headache would go with drop in for future purchases.

Enjoy your new ride!
Billygoat, was that DYI spray in of shop spray in?

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Cat Rule: Anything on the floor (or any other surface - especially ones that will show cat hair) must be laid on.
There, I "fixed" it for you... We've got two cats. One is white and orange, the other is dark gray "clouded leopard" looking. So between the two of them, no surface, regardless of color, is safe!

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hopefully not inside the tail gate!
FYI my mother dear got away saying she was 29 until I turned 39 then she was 49 for over twenty more years.
I have a buddy whose wife decided at 49 she was having no more birthdays - he got them instead. So he just turned 90 the other day. I tell him he doesn't look a day over 70! LOL

BoricuaBeautyx

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tatiana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So my salesman was Johnny-on-the-Spot and took personal responsibility for making sure my Ford Pass Points were on my account two short days after I took delivery of Lil Red on August 8th. Ordered the modular bedliner on a Saturday, it arrived on Wednesday and I installed it this past Friday. I'm a gray-haired woman, and did the work myself, and am right pleased with the results, but I thought I'd share some thoughts/challenges to help anyone else who is about to undertake the project:

* I watched alllllllllll the install videos, and printed out the instructions, and had all of it memorized and was prepared (I thought) for the actual install. I was not. It turned out the biggest hurdle for me was tools, of which I have an embarrassing quantity, but not the BEST tools for the job. Here's the issues I ran into tool wise:

* I had a T40 torx bit for the difficult front tie downs on the floor, but those buggers still would not BUDGE for me. I do not know why. I am aware the specs call for an IP40, but everything I read said they came out with a T40 just fine. Mine did not, and I still don't know why, but damn...those things were IN THERE. I tried other sizes, to no avail. I ended up driving the truck to my local mechanic, who is thankfully just blocks away, and he had a TP40 and an impact drill which took them out in no time, and he tossed the bit to me so I could finish the job at home. Pays to have a great, nearby mechanic. I had no issues with any of the torx bits on the rest of the job, all standard, all in my tool box and of good quality. (Side NOTE: In lots of videos and comments, people complained that those flat tie downs go back in with only the two prescribed/supplied pieces of tape down, and that it results in a part of the bed color showing through, which is unattractive at best. Knowing this in advance, I supplemented the tape with a small piece of black gorilla duct tape I had, did the trick nicely. )

* I THOUGHT I had an extension that would allow my primarily socket torx to work with my drill gun, but of COURSE when I went to go lay hands on it, it had disappeared into the tool void somewhere. So I was condemned to wrenching most of the screws with a simple socket wrench, which was not a problem except it just added to the TIME the whole thing took, and I lost a good ten pounds in sweat, as I was wrenching in Alabama. I have since purchased a set of torx that will work in my screw gun, so the adapter can stay lost.

The install itself was much simpler than I expected though, primarily by virtue of watching all those videos. I used an angle grinder with a diamond wheel I had sitting around to cut the holes for the bed cubby storage areas, which made for very quick work and a clean line. Every video I watched and the instructions themselves advised a jig saw, but I'm a former metal hobbyist and super comfy with a grinder, so I went that way. I used a 1 and 1/8th" spade bit to cut the holes for the tie downs. Specs call for a step bit to 1 and 1/8th", but mine didn't go that high and I figured the spade bit would work fine and it did, no issues at all, nice clean holes, I took the extra step of beginning the hole on the backside at the marked indentation, and then flipping it over and completing it from the other side, years of habit doing that when working with wood to make a clean cut. In one of the videos I watched I saw someone using a file to clean up the edges of such cuts, but I found a simple blade (box cutter or a good knife) worked well to remove the scraggly pieces after a cut. I took my time and did all the prep work/cutting first.

In videos you learn the bedliner arrives in a box and the big bottom piece is kinda' folded over, and mine was, of course, so I laid it out in my den overnight, with some light weights on it (including a cat) to flatten it out, which did the trick. HOWEVER, no one had mentioned the tailgate piece, so I didn't pay that much attention to it until I went to install it, and realized both ends were bowed up a good bit. If I'd realized it sooner, I'd have weighted it down in advance, to make it lay back, but too late, had to work with those ends, coaxing them down and into shape before the install, but they're still waving at me a bit, (Photo #5) I figure with time and the tailgate closed they'll settle in.

In some of the earliest installs of this unit I saw a lot of people commenting on the back piece, the one nearest the cab that has the Maverick logo on it -- about it not laying exactly flat, and requiring all kinds of creativity to get it to lay flat and adhere. I'm guessing that the manufacturer may have actually adjusted something after those early ones, because mine not only laid flat, it was so flat and tight it was a challenge to perform the last step, which is getting behind it to pull the red tape cover off and adhere it to the bed. (You can see how tight it is against the cab in the last photo, you couldn't even slide a fingernail behind it now).

My ONLY criticism of the product is on the tailgate piece. There are screws holding it down in the section of the tailgate piece closest to you with the tailgate down, but curiously nothing at ALL holding it down in the part closest to the bed, so I anticipate issues with stuff sliding up under there, nothing at all to stop it. A poor design element, in my opinion.

After Ford Pass points and the Ford.com 20% discount, the bedliner cost me $150. Please don't start with the drop in versus spray arguments, I've had drop ins in every truck I've owned across a lifetime, and never a worry or problem, and this one appears to be of better overall quality than any I've had previously. And even an elderly woman can install it! :p

(Late Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm 5' 6", not tall enough to comfortably reach in and wrench off the tie downs and such, or wiggle the side pieces in easily, so a two-step stool was my most helpful tool, let me just lean over the sides and work).

IMG_20230818_125701789_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230820_100402025.jpg
IMG_20230820_100427685.jpg
IMG_20230820_100408060.jpg
IMG_20230820_100413431.jpg
IMG_20230820_101326098.jpg
I was looking forward to you getting your truck! Glad to see you got it. Welcome to the HPR club, best color of them all 😁
Fantastic job on the bedliner!

Halo9x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT 2023
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

So my salesman was Johnny-on-the-Spot and took personal responsibility for making sure my Ford Pass Points were on my account two short days after I took delivery of Lil Red on August 8th. Ordered the modular bedliner on a Saturday, it arrived on Wednesday and I installed it this past Friday. I'm a gray-haired woman, and did the work myself, and am right pleased with the results, but I thought I'd share some thoughts/challenges to help anyone else who is about to undertake the project:

* I watched alllllllllll the install videos, and printed out the instructions, and had all of it memorized and was prepared (I thought) for the actual install. I was not. It turned out the biggest hurdle for me was tools, of which I have an embarrassing quantity, but not the BEST tools for the job. Here's the issues I ran into tool wise:

* I had a T40 torx bit for the difficult front tie downs on the floor, but those buggers still would not BUDGE for me. I do not know why. I am aware the specs call for an IP40, but everything I read said they came out with a T40 just fine. Mine did not, and I still don't know why, but damn...those things were IN THERE. I tried other sizes, to no avail. I ended up driving the truck to my local mechanic, who is thankfully just blocks away, and he had a TP40 and an impact drill which took them out in no time, and he tossed the bit to me so I could finish the job at home. Pays to have a great, nearby mechanic. I had no issues with any of the torx bits on the rest of the job, all standard, all in my tool box and of good quality. (Side NOTE: In lots of videos and comments, people complained that those flat tie downs go back in with only the two prescribed/supplied pieces of tape down, and that it results in a part of the bed color showing through, which is unattractive at best. Knowing this in advance, I supplemented the tape with a small piece of black gorilla duct tape I had, did the trick nicely. )

* I THOUGHT I had an extension that would allow my primarily socket torx to work with my drill gun, but of COURSE when I went to go lay hands on it, it had disappeared into the tool void somewhere. So I was condemned to wrenching most of the screws with a simple socket wrench, which was not a problem except it just added to the TIME the whole thing took, and I lost a good ten pounds in sweat, as I was wrenching in Alabama. I have since purchased a set of torx that will work in my screw gun, so the adapter can stay lost.

The install itself was much simpler than I expected though, primarily by virtue of watching all those videos. I used an angle grinder with a diamond wheel I had sitting around to cut the holes for the bed cubby storage areas, which made for very quick work and a clean line. Every video I watched and the instructions themselves advised a jig saw, but I'm a former metal hobbyist and super comfy with a grinder, so I went that way. I used a 1 and 1/8th" spade bit to cut the holes for the tie downs. Specs call for a step bit to 1 and 1/8th", but mine didn't go that high and I figured the spade bit would work fine and it did, no issues at all, nice clean holes, I took the extra step of beginning the hole on the backside at the marked indentation, and then flipping it over and completing it from the other side, years of habit doing that when working with wood to make a clean cut. In one of the videos I watched I saw someone using a file to clean up the edges of such cuts, but I found a simple blade (box cutter or a good knife) worked well to remove the scraggly pieces after a cut. I took my time and did all the prep work/cutting first.

In videos you learn the bedliner arrives in a box and the big bottom piece is kinda' folded over, and mine was, of course, so I laid it out in my den overnight, with some light weights on it (including a cat) to flatten it out, which did the trick. HOWEVER, no one had mentioned the tailgate piece, so I didn't pay that much attention to it until I went to install it, and realized both ends were bowed up a good bit. If I'd realized it sooner, I'd have weighted it down in advance, to make it lay back, but too late, had to work with those ends, coaxing them down and into shape before the install, but they're still waving at me a bit, (Photo #5) I figure with time and the tailgate closed they'll settle in.

In some of the earliest installs of this unit I saw a lot of people commenting on the back piece, the one nearest the cab that has the Maverick logo on it -- about it not laying exactly flat, and requiring all kinds of creativity to get it to lay flat and adhere. I'm guessing that the manufacturer may have actually adjusted something after those early ones, because mine not only laid flat, it was so flat and tight it was a challenge to perform the last step, which is getting behind it to pull the red tape cover off and adhere it to the bed. (You can see how tight it is against the cab in the last photo, you couldn't even slide a fingernail behind it now).

My ONLY criticism of the product is on the tailgate piece. There are screws holding it down in the section of the tailgate piece closest to you with the tailgate down, but curiously nothing at ALL holding it down in the part closest to the bed, so I anticipate issues with stuff sliding up under there, nothing at all to stop it. A poor design element, in my opinion.

After Ford Pass points and the Ford.com 20% discount, the bedliner cost me $150. Please don't start with the drop in versus spray arguments, I've had drop ins in every truck I've owned across a lifetime, and never a worry or problem, and this one appears to be of better overall quality than any I've had previously. And even an elderly woman can install it! :p

(Late Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm 5' 6", not tall enough to comfortably reach in and wrench off the tie downs and such, or wiggle the side pieces in easily, so a two-step stool was my most helpful tool, let me just lean over the sides and work).

IMG_20230818_125701789_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230820_100402025.jpg
IMG_20230820_100427685.jpg
IMG_20230820_100408060.jpg
IMG_20230820_100413431.jpg
IMG_20230820_101326098.jpg
Good job!!

Sponsored

Poultrygeist

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A

As you can see in the pic, the troublesome piece on the tailgate is right over the bolts for the bottle opener/tie downs, I'm sorely tempted to drill a hole and reinstall that top bolt of the bottle opener THROUGH that piece of the tailgate, to hold it into place. Actually a little surprised Ford didn't think to do that with these.
I may do the same but remove the bottle opener/tie down altogether. Rarely would I use that tie down/bottle opener and the other one was removed to accommodate a tailgate assist.

OP
OP
Last Truck Ever

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks one and all for all the positive comments! ♥

Really just posted as a heads up to anyone about to try the install themselves, always good to know what others have run into. And it's always good for all of us to hear that age is a limitation of our minds (well, most of the time, creaky joints limit too, lol!)

Get out there and keep doing for as long as you're still above the grass.

Maui

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Kia Soul Convertble
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I watched the Test Driven TV episode where Shay installed the factory drop in. I have the tools and ability required to do it, and I could easily make the time. What I don't have time for is the limping, and walking around like a chimpanzee due to knee and back imperfections. (wimp)

After ordering it from my dealer, the staff offered to have their "gopher" do it for me for free, as I waited sooooo long for the Stork to deliver the vehicle. He installed several one piece units in the past. I accepted. I put a Benjamin in an envelope for his known (due to the YouTube visuals) upcoming aggravation.

Warning! Do it yourself, or pay retail to install it, so if it ends up having more rough cuts than Edward Scissor hands had, and you will be covered for replacement.

OP
OP
Last Truck Ever

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The install looks fantastic, look forward to seeing it around town!
I'm hard to miss, gray haired woman in a bright red Ford baseball cap, with a ridiculous happy-grin on her face.

Look forward to parking next to my first Mav in town! I've only just caught some in passing. Still not an every day or even every week thing for me.
Sponsored