First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
These slip and grip AWD systems barely existed a decade ago and now people act like the can’t possibly drive through a dusting of snow without them. its hilarious.
Huh???? Subaru has had them for over 50 years Remember the Brat?

I will agree with about snow.... I grew-up on RWD....went to FWD's Never really needed AWD or 4WD and I've lived in Ski country...
You just gotta know your limitations :)
Sponsored

Art_Vandelay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat, Subaru WRX
Subaru might disagree with you. The Audi Quattro was quite popular with the ski crowd decades ago. Not sure what AWD system they used.
Huh???? Subaru has had them for over 50 years Remember the Brat?
Did you miss the part where i said “barely existed“ and mistakenly read “didn’t exist”? The average car buyer did not have an on demand AWD system on their vehicle and it was a considered a luxury upgrade if one was even offered at all. Everyone was fine and only portion of the country even sees a winter that would warrant wanting a slip and grip let alone NEEDING A slip and grip. But hey, the marketers did their job and convinced the public they HAVE to have AWD.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm sorry and I'll draw all kinds of hate from this, but you could hold a gun to my head and I'd still tell you a pickup truck (OR SUV) should not be FWD only.

Not offering the Hybrid in AWD trim was completely asinine on Ford's part.
I would have purchased one if available.

I ordered an AWD 2.0. I'm currently getting about 19mpg with my 2017 Chevy Equinox with 3.6 AWD. Anything over that will be an improvement.

No, it was a necessity to hit the price point they needed for the ENTRY LEVEL vehicle. They still roped you into buying the AWD 2.0 so I guess they knew a little something about marketing after all :p

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, it was a necessity to hit the price point they needed for the ENTRY LEVEL vehicle. They still roped you into buying the AWD 2.0 so I guess they knew a little something about marketing after all :p
"Real" truck folks will say everyone here is wrong because "real" trucks get 4x4 with locking, not this AWD or FWD.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Did you miss the part where i said “barely existed“ and mistakenly read “didn’t exist”? The average car buyer did not have an on demand AWD system on their vehicle and it was a considered a luxury upgrade if one was even offered at all. Everyone was fine and only portion of the country even sees a winter that would warrant wanting a slip and grip let alone NEEDING A slip and grip. But hey, the marketers did their job and convinced the public they HAVE to have AWD.
LOL I don't call 50 years "barely existed" I guess if your considering life of the Planet...50 years is nothing
Luxury? a brat ? LOL
Ok I agree on the marketing about AWD.
When I was growing up the only time we used 4WD was out in a muddy/snowy field, it wasn't something you use all the time.
My last 4WD was a Isuzu Trooper around 1981 . haven't any AWD's never needed it

Sponsored

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
Subaru might disagree with you. The Audi Quattro was quite popular with the ski crowd decades ago. Not sure what AWD system they used.
Quattro is not slip and grip. It has a torsen center differential that is always active. The front and rear are always powered, not only when they slip.

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more power, and the double the towing is awesome...
But id just think that mileage would be more important for most folks.
I'm hearing that the 2.0 ECO boost will likely get somewhere around 26mpg, which impo, is about as terrible as I'd expect from a small ICE truck.

I would have guessed (before coming to this forum) Ford would sell 10 to 1 of the 2.5L hybrids to the 2.0 ECO boost, but apparently not

From a personal standpoint, if I had to stick to an ICE truck, I'd just stick with my F150. That truck is my baby, I can just barely afford to drive it 😟
The reported 26.6 mpg is speculated to be combined mpg not highway on a awd with tow package and FX4 package. Weight with more weight. That’s pretty damn good imo.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Nope. I’m buying the lariat for adaptive cruise and lane centering. It has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with wanting something resembling self driving for my 50 miles a day of highway travel and four hour long drives to my cabin. I could care less about blind spot monitoring and cross traffic alert and the “safety” they provide (which is none imo). I drove a RWD bmw for ten years through Michigan winters without issues but people now act like not having AWD that kicks in for less than 1% of your driving time on a FWD vehicle is a matter of life and death. It’s comical.
Are you seriously telling me those aren't safety features? 🙄

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can’t tell if half of these new threads are trolls or not lately lol. Hating on an option…who cares. Pick whatever option you want and leave the others for the rest of the crowd. Soon we’re going to start seeing “WhY dId FoRd ChOoSe CyBeR oRaNgE”. They give us many options for a reason people! Let ecoboost buyers enjoy the extra power and towing while you enjoy the mpg. It’s different strokes for different folks.
Not to mention Ford built this with the idea of pulling fuel economy conscious customers into the Ford Truck family of buyers.

Ford engineered a vehicle with the passenger room of a small SUV (more than most mid-sized trucks, mind you), a small truck bed, AND a payload on par with most sub-superduty trucks, while also getting the fuel economy of a mid-sized hybrid SUV.

The EcoBoost engine is supposed to appeal to those who prioritize power over fuel economy, while also delivering better fuel economy than the Ranger.

The Maverick is designed with capability (towing, power, and off-road) intended to slot BELOW the Ranger. Also, the Maverick 2.0 EcoBoost is STILL (probably) going to get better gas mileage than any other truck/pick-up on the market. At worst, it will probably tie with the Santa Cruz. So, we've gotta be realistic with expectations here.

Also, if you're unhappy with the fuel economy of the ecoboost, then get the hybrid. If you're unhappy with a FWD truck, then wait a year, or two, and we will probably start seeing an Maverick AWD hybrid option.

"People are people, so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully?"

Sponsored

willyboy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
several
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, I'm a little confused by the numbers too, 40mpg is supposedly the city fuel economy, but then you'd actually compare that to 21mpg which is the city fuel economy of a Ecoboost Bronco Sport. Combined would be 37 for the hybrid, but more likely 23 for the Ecoboost just like on the BS.

Another factor is that the hybrid has recommended 87 octane for peak performance, whereas Ford lists 91+ octane for the Ecoboost, which changes the effective MPG down 15% or so comparing $ to $. Average mileage is also typically calculated at 12K miles per year as an industry norm.

So the calculation should be:
12000mi/23mpg x $3.81/gal = $1988/ year
12000mi/37mpg x $3.51/gal = $1137/year
$1988-$1137 = $851 per year savings.

Average vehicle age on the road today is 11.9 years (my Ram is currently 12 years old and looking to replace soon, so is spot on), so lifetime savings would be $10,127 saved over the lifetime of the vehicle going hybrid, assuming all else equal. But there are other savings, because the atkinson cycle engine is not likely to have any carbon buildup issues, whereas the direct-injection only ecoboost likely will by 60K miles. In my experience, my turbocharged vehicles are also harder on engine oil than non-turbocharged, and oil quality matters more for the health of the turbo bearing to avoid heat soak and carbon buildup on the bearing housing and turbocharged engines are more prone to blowby than naturally aspirated. So if I had to put my money down I'd wager that a Prius like hybrid Maverick would be more likely to hit 200K miles cheaper than the Ecoboost.

If you're pinching pennies, the hybrid is the no brainer. But the ecoboost will be more sporty, fun, sounds smoother and better under load, and can tow more when properly equipped. Different strokes.
The original calculation used the writers personal annual mileage figure and was not intended as an across the board figure.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wherever those fuel prices are from, they need to move. I paid $2.52 for 87 yesterday LOL
Oh yeah, me too, I'm in TX. I just used the ones already provided and subtracted 30 cents for regular vs premium fuel. ;)

This is the Costco right by our house, also $2.53 today: https://www.gasbuddy.com/station/160836 Krogers can be even cheaper once you've maxed out your points, and we do that to get $1 off per gallon (so say $1.70 or so a gallon) and bring in the 32 gallon tank Ram 1500 when its on fumes along with a gas can. Truck always has a bit of fuel, so comes out close to max discount cutoff of 35 gallon.
Technology that attempts to replace you simply turning your head and visually verifying your path is clear is not a saftey feature in my book.
At least with the Ram, I can't see jack shizzle when backing out of a space with cars on both sides until a Fiat 500 length of vehicle is already poking out into the driving lane, lol! I would love to have cross traffic alert so I didn't always have to back into spaces. Also during riding season you can have tiny little motorbikes riding in your blind spot weaving through traffic out of nowhere, so if blind spot monitoring that I also don't have right now saves just one person, worth it for peace of mind. I figure if I'm going to upgrade my perfectly good truck, it better have modern features I'm lacking like lane keep assistance, blind spot alert, cross traffic, auto-pedestrian braking, etc. along with significantly better fuel economy, otherwise I'd just keep the truck I already have in my specific circumstances.

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Amen, aerodynamics. Not to mention heavier, rolling resistance etc. Trucks and cars are apples to oranges.
26 mpg is real respectable for a truck. Yes, truck. Just because its cute, it still cuts the air like a truck.
Hey Louie, so let me say it again, "The Hybrid Maverick, which gets 40 mpg is shaped exactly like the Maverick with Ecoboost..... "

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
And the hybrid can trailer 4000 lbs, and has the same passing power as Ecoboost? You need power for that. Power costs fuel economy. Power is something the Hybrid version doesnt have. It all depends on what the intended use will be.
Agreed. I would have just figured that people who needed more power, and greater towing abilities would be looking for a somewhat larger, stronger truck.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid