Sponsored

IronHammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue XLT (no lux) FX4, 4K
Picked up our 2022 Maverick XLT Saturday and promptly took it to our favorite drive-in. This thing really is drive-in friendly. We watched the movie (Don’t Worry Darling) facing forward from inside the truck. Turned the headlights/parking lights off with the knob. I wondered how distracting the interior lights might be but we had no problems because the screen has a blackout feature. Press the dash button once and it goes to black screen with only a clock. Press it again and it goes totally dark. Only minor annoyance was the accessory feature shuts down after 30 minutes but it is simple to turn the key off and back to accessory for another 30 minutes. Headlights/parking lights stayed off. I wish I could set the timeout for that. Missed some dialogue during a scene because I had to reset the accessory mode.

Since my XLT uses a key I have to wonder how these things would work in a push-to-start truck.

anyway, thought I would share our experience for others to learn from.

Ford Maverick Drive-In Movie Test 400891CD-4C9D-4B24-8A0F-2AEB9E916543
Sponsored

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

As a person waiting on my Maverick who frequents a drive in movie theater, it's actually super helpful to know the accessories shut down after thirty minutes. Yikes, that's frustrating.

Maybe I'll start bringing a separate radio so I don't have to deal with that every thirty minutes during a double feature...

OP
OP
IronHammer

IronHammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a person waiting on my Maverick who frequents a drive in movie theater, it's actually super helpful to know the accessories shut down after thirty minutes. Yikes, that's frustrating.

Maybe I'll start bringing a separate radio so I don't have to deal with that every thirty minutes during a double feature...
Yeah it's annoying but certainly not a show stopper. The screen tells you it's shutting down to save battery. There may be a way to disable it, idk yet. Glad this review helps you though!

OP
OP
IronHammer

IronHammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On another note. We saw our very first maverick in the wild on Friday (the day before picking ours up) when we went to Costco. Then, when we left the drive-in and headed home around midnight, a cyber-orange Maverick passed us on the interstate! My wife thought that was cool. She saw it again today driving around town.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah it's annoying but certainly not a show stopper. The screen tells you it's shutting down to save battery. There may be a way to disable it, idk yet. Glad this review helps you though!
Mostly I know that my wife would get annoyed if I got out of the truck at that moment and the sound shut off on her 😆

Just curious -- what drive in is that? I used to live in Indiana, but I don't think I've been to that particular one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
IronHammer

IronHammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly I know that my wife would get annoyed if I got out of the truck at that moment and the sound shut off on her 😆

Just curious -- what drive in is that? I used to live in Indiana, but I don't think I've been to that particular one.
It's a big 6-screen drive-in in Reo, Indiana called Holiday Drive-In. www.holidaydrivein.com.

The64

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One of the first things the boys and I did was go to a drive in! Coincidentally, the movie was top gun Maverick!

We did it the right way with the bed facing the screen and it was awesome! 😭

The outlet in the bed let's you plug in a fan to keep bugs away, a radio avoided running down the battery... Just perfect for drive ins!

OP
OP
IronHammer

IronHammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I'm researching how to extend that timeout but not finding much. It may be a forscan thing.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wish we had drive-ins so I could try my Maverick there. Miss those places.
I drive forty-five minutes to go to the one closest to me.

When I lived in Indiana, it was the same -- where I lived between two drive ins, one was about forty-five minutes away and the other was thirty minutes away. We went to the one that was forty-five minutes (Lakeshore Drive In in Monticello, IN) way more often though because, frankly, it was a better run spot.

Sponsored
OP
OP
IronHammer

IronHammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drive forty-five minutes to go to the one closest to me.

When I lived in Indiana, it was the same -- where I lived between two drive ins, one was about forty-five minutes away and the other was thirty minutes away. We went to the one that was forty-five minutes (Lakeshore Drive In in Monticello, IN) way more often though because, frankly, it was a better run spot.
Oh wow, that's way up northern Indiana. Never been there. Ours is about an hour and 20 minute drive for us but we love this one because of the movie selections and it's well run.

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Oh wow, that's way up northern Indiana. Never been there. Ours is about an hour and 20 minute drive for us but we love this one because of the movie selections and it's well run.
It's a family run business, and it probably has the most efficiently run concessions out of any drive in I've ever been to. If you ever end up in that end of the state, it's worth it.

I like our current drive in a lot, but I miss Lakeshore every summer since we moved back to Wisconsin.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If I was still in Dayton Ohio where we have a few drive ins left I would probably be doing it backwards with a big full size cushion or all the couch cushions I had in the back and a block rocker speaker. Maybe a couple camp chairs for some freinds or tag along kids.

Modern cars are too complex for the drive-in systems in my opinion. Last one I went to was in a CJ5, pulled the top back, dropped the windshield down, turned on the radio which (because old jeeps) was wired directly to the battery. Ran the engine during intermission to charge it up and good to go. The windshield even makes a nice table for pizza and snacks.

bill67

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I was still in Dayton Ohio where we have a few drive ins left I would probably be doing it backwards with a big full size cushion or all the couch cushions I had in the back and a block rocker speaker. Maybe a couple camp chairs for some freinds or tag along kids.

Modern cars are too complex for the drive-in systems in my opinion. Last one I went to was in a CJ5, pulled the top back, dropped the windshield down, turned on the radio which (because old jeeps) was wired directly to the battery. Ran the engine during intermission to charge it up and good to go. The windshield even makes a nice table for pizza and snacks.
Boy does this bring back memories.

Achtungg

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Picked up our 2022 Maverick XLT Saturday and promptly took it to our favorite drive-in. This thing really is drive-in friendly. We watched the movie (Don’t Worry Darling) facing forward from inside the truck. Turned the headlights/parking lights off with the knob. I wondered how distracting the interior lights might be but we had no problems because the screen has a blackout feature. Press the dash button once and it goes to black screen with only a clock. Press it again and it goes totally dark. Only minor annoyance was the accessory feature shuts down after 30 minutes but it is simple to turn the key off and back to accessory for another 30 minutes. Headlights/parking lights stayed off. I wish I could set the timeout for that. Missed some dialogue during a scene because I had to reset the accessory mode.

Since my XLT uses a key I have to wonder how these things would work in a push-to-start truck.

anyway, thought I would share our experience for others to learn from.

400891CD-4C9D-4B24-8A0F-2AEB9E916543.jpeg
Very nice! Unfortunately the drive in by me closed down :(
I think the accessory power down is on vehicles unless you leave the engine running. Did the same on my Mazda 3 that had push to start. I think without putting your foot on the gas pedal and pressing the button, it started in accessory mode on that car. Maybe something similar with the Maverick.

Bringing a separate radio is actually genius and hadn't thought of that. I have portable radio I keep around for hurricane season and could use that.
Sponsored