First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Red Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Weird, no thread on oil changes in the DIY section... Got to fix that!

As I am getting all my tools/parts ready for the inevitable first oil change, I can't find a clear answer regarding the drain plug. Should I plan on keeping the same gasket or should I get a replacement (rubber, copper,...) ?
Sponsored

RichardCranium

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL 2.0 AWD 4K CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Adding to your question, does it have a gasket, and if it does, is it a removable gasket?

In all the years of changing my own oil, I don’t think I have ever changed my gasket on the drain plug.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

sprubs

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nunya
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Adding to your question, does it have a gasket, and if it does, is it a removable gasket?

In all the years of changing my own oil, I don’t think I have ever changed my gasket on the drain plug.
Every car I've owned has recommended changing the crush washer on every oil change. It's pretty cheap insurance against oil leaks.

Sponsored

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In the sea of information therein, I couldn't find any mention regarding gaskets.
I am with you there. I don't think I have seen much talk of replacing the washer/gasket. Usually it is recommended to do so. There is a recessed green rubber washer on the drain plug. At least for the EcoBoost. I don't see why it would not be the same for Hybrid. It is recessed enough that I highly doubt they suggest it is replaced. Crush washer on the other hand......it would be a good idea if you have some laying around that are the right size. Amazon sells assortments of copper crush washers that are both inexpensive and plentiful in size range.

I don't recall if there was a crush washer or not from the factory. I replaced my drain plug with a Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve, which did not need a washer.

Since I now have my factory plug sitting in my garage, here are some photos.

Ford Maverick DIY Oil Change 20231206_072655
Ford Maverick DIY Oil Change 20231206_072646

Ford Maverick DIY Oil Change 512SlkjXpaL

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500,C8-Z51, 2023 Lariat Lux 4K Co360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you are changing your oil you might consider changing the drain plug to a magnetic one. I did on my first change - did it at 1K. (Original oil has a green tint but it is not an anti-freeze leak!) I did another one at 4K and added the longer oil filter too this time (FL400S). My magnetic drain plug had a lot of black material stuck to it so it wasn't a waste. On my next change at 10K I will see if it cleared up any. Magnetic plug is available at Autozone or Advance auto. One of the threads has the part number and thread size too. I was going to add one of those quick drain plugs but I am weary of anything hanging down beloe the pan that could somewhat get snagged if you ever ran over something. The longer oil filter is still up above the bottom of the engine block so it would not get snagged either.

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I switched to a Valvomax drain. Hopefully makes future changes easier. Never changed a washer/ gasket on my last vehicle and I had over 200k on it.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't overthink this. We really don't need another oil related thread and the drain plug will be fine to reuse. There is no crush washer, do not add one. Some drain plugs offer a plastic type washer you can replace every time if you like, but again, not necessary. The stock setup should be good for many uses. That's the point of the rubber gasket. Don't over torque and you'll be fine. Fumoto type valves are an option too. Just don't go adding things to the already reusable gasket. Either discard it entirely and replace it or don't. But I think you'll just create more work trying to replace the rubber gasket with something that isn't a perfect match/fit. Replace it, or don't.

Last edited:

MatthewPK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Engine
Undecided
If you are changing your oil you might consider changing the drain plug to a magnetic one. I did on my first change - did it at 1K. (Original oil has a green tint but it is not an anti-freeze leak!) I did another one at 4K and added the longer oil filter too this time (FL400S). My magnetic drain plug had a lot of black material stuck to it so it wasn't a waste. On my next change at 10K I will see if it cleared up any. Magnetic plug is available at Autozone or Advance auto. One of the threads has the part number and thread size too. I was going to add one of those quick drain plugs but I am weary of anything hanging down beloe the pan that could somewhat get snagged if you ever ran over something. The longer oil filter is still up above the bottom of the engine block so it would not get snagged either.
What magnetic plug did you use?

Sponsored

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What magnetic plug did you use?
I replaced the drain plug with a magnetic one from AutoZone and it is almost an exact match with a magnetic tip. Part number 653096 by Needa....M12-1.75 Magnetic - $7.00 I also installed a Fram 3600 TG oil filter and taped a large Harbor Freight pickup magnetic to the bottom of it for the first couple of oil changes.

I was pretty surprized at the amount of metal that came off the plug on the second oil change. Also used a magnetic on the oil filter for the second oil change but did not cut it open. I see no reason NOT to use a magnetic plug instead of the factory plug. With the amount of material on my plug Ford should have used one too!

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
3rd oil change at just over 11K. (1K,4K, 11k)Oil came out really clean but I haven't driven the truck hard and almost always use ECO mode. The magnetic plug it was VERY clean. Nothing like the 2nd cleaning that had a LOT of material on the tip. This time it was just a dusting on the tip. Seems like the magnet on both the filter and plug pulled must of the shavings out during the second change.

Last edited:

40caliber

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
forty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I replaced the drain plug with a magnetic one from AutoZone and it is almost an exact match with a magnetic tip. Part number 653096 by Needa....M12-1.75 Magnetic - $7.00 I also installed a Fram 3600 TG oil filter and taped a large Harbor Freight pickup magnetic to the bottom of it for the first couple of oil changes.

I was pretty surprized at the amount of metal that came off the plug on the second oil change. Also used a magnetic on the oil filter for the second oil change but did not cut it open. I see no reason NOT to use a magnetic plug instead of the factory plug. With the amount of material on my plug Ford should have used one too!
Was curious so searched for the Needa plug you mentioned..
Says
Ford Maverick DIY Oil Change 01xAYSnQ2FL
This does not fit
2024 Ford Maverick
https://www.amazon.com/Needa-Parts-653096-Drain-Gasket/dp/B001NYMUWI

gp1200x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Was curious so searched for the Needa plug you mentioned..
Says
01xAYSnQ2FL.png
This does not fit
2024 Ford Maverick
https://www.amazon.com/Needa-Parts-653096-Drain-Gasket/dp/B001NYMUWI
Check thread sizes...make sure your threads are the same and it so it fits. I never consider Amazon to be accurate. See if Rockauto lists thread size for your car. I just had it out and was going to take a picture but did not. It is a nice plug..mine has a green silicone molded gasket and looks a lot like the factory one but has a magnetic tip on the end that works. Buy at Autozone and don't open until you have the old out out and then compare. I think a 2024 would be exactly like a 2023 and it also said it didn't fit my 2023 Maverick..wrong, it does.. Chrome plated

Do a search on 653096 and you will see others used it too. Mine is an Ecoboot. Don't know what a Hybrid size is. I paid just around $7 at Autozone.

Last edited: