Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT in Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for this Adam. Just did my own order and basically copied you almost exactly, with a few minor changes here/there (see attached screenshots for parts list). I am going to use the 5/16" T bolts that came with the tie-down kit for the Elevate rails and drill the holes in the gussets that attach to rails to 5/16" (0.3125") from the .281" (9/32") they come bored with using my drill press. Wasn't happy with other T slot bolts I could find (both in price and most importantly in size). I'll update with pics when I get my extrusion and see how it goes (just placed order 11/2/23). Appreciate your pictures and thoughtful planning to make it easier for the rest of us. Goal is to have 2 kayaks and a large rooftop box on the wider crossbars. Also got some shortys that I can use for bed racks for solar panels (like you) or maybe bikes like the guy on the Jeep Gladiator forum did.

Ford Maverick DIY Custom Bed Rack Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 5.14.56 PM

Ford Maverick DIY Custom Bed Rack Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 5.15.04 PM
Sponsored

OP
OP
acelee1895

acelee1895

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 2015 Ford Fusion
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for this Adam. Just did my own order and basically copied you almost exactly, with a few minor changes here/there (see attached screenshots for parts list). I am going to use the 5/16" T bolts that came with the tie-down kit for the Elevate rails and drill the holes in the gussets that attach to rails to 5/16" (0.3125") from the .281" (9/32") they come bored with using my drill press. Wasn't happy with other T slot bolts I could find (both in price and most importantly in size). I'll update with pics when I get my extrusion and see how it goes (just placed order 11/2/23). Appreciate your pictures and thoughtful planning to make it easier for the rest of us. Goal is to have 2 kayaks and a large rooftop box on the wider crossbars. Also got some shortys that I can use for bed racks for solar panels (like you) or maybe bikes like the guy on the Jeep Gladiator forum did.
That is awesome to hear, glad I helped to inspire you! I am actually just finishing up a cross country trip of about 7k miles through interstates, back roads and secondary unpaved and heavily rutted roads. I can say without a doubt that the rack is absolutely amazing. Never once loosened or gave me worry that it was going to fail. Every bolt stayed tight without the need for lock tite or anything similar. I will say a couple of the bolts developed a little bit of surface rust but that isn't a huge concern to me.

I did find out that Front Runner made a bolt up roof rack using stuff similar to extruded aluminum. I am debating on getting that and putting my solar panels there and a tent in the back or even crazier, using that to connect and help support a diy bed camper. I slept in a ground tent for most of my journey and I would like something a little more permanent and comfortable when I hit the road again. Please share pictures of yours when you are done, I would love to see it!

JBEN110

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Awd XLT tremor with lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

is that 2040 extrusion?

OP
OP
acelee1895

acelee1895

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
is that 2040 extrusion?
Close. I think it’s 1020 or 1x2 inches. I don’t think I needed the strength of the 2040

JBEN110

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Close. I think it’s 1020 or 1x2 inches. I don’t think I needed the strength of the 2040
thanks! i plan on buying the elevate t slot rails since i just got the bak revolver x4s and building my bed rack from the aluminum extrusion, i wonder if 2040 is strong enough for overland camping?

Sponsored

OP
OP
acelee1895

acelee1895

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
thanks! i plan on buying the elevate t slot rails since i just got the bak revolver x4s and building my bed rack from the aluminum extrusion, i wonder if 2040 is strong enough for overland camping?
I double checked my order and can confirm 1020. It’s honestly really strong. I can hang on it in the middle with minimal flex weighing 160 lbs. there are calculators online that can guess the strength with different attachments at different lengths. I recommend looking into that to get an idea of strength

JBEN110

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I double checked my order and can confirm 1020. It’s honestly really strong. I can hang on it in the middle with minimal flex weighing 160 lbs. there are calculators online that can guess the strength with different attachments at different lengths. I recommend looking into that to get an idea of strength
thanks again! i appreciate your help

JBEN110

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Got a fun one for you guys. I made a sized and fitted bed rack out of extruded aluminum. I got the idea from extrusion overland but didn't like their prices. It took custom fabricating a few pieces of hardware but overall was mostly design and build with no issues. I purchased the hardware and aluminum from TNUTZ. Can recommend

I have it mounted in the T slots of the Elevate T rails with 3/16inx3/4 steel bracket working in the slots as the anchor points for the aluminum. Those were the custom pieces, just a piece of steel cut to size, drilled with two holes and tapped to the correct bolt size.

I will throw up a few pictures but as with my other post, this isn't a DIY tutorial, this is a FYI heres some ideas post. I don't know what it is rated to, I don't know how long it will hold up, and I don't know if they Elevate rails will hold the load. I just mounted it so I don't know how it affects fuel economy yet either but I will have that over the next couple days.

Screenshot 2023-08-15 142326.png

Screenshot 2023-08-15 142409.png

Screenshot 2023-08-15 142427.png

Screenshot 2023-08-15 142446.png

Screenshot 2023-08-15 142459.png
I apologize but I have one more question. what's the distance between the extrusion "legs" or supports from inside to inside on the width of the truck bed? I don't have the elevate rails yet and I'm trying to get an idea on lengths. thanks

OP
OP
acelee1895

acelee1895

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I apologize but I have one more question. what's the distance between the extrusion "legs" or supports from inside to inside on the width of the truck bed? I don't have the elevate rails yet and I'm trying to get an idea on lengths. thanks
I don’t have an exact measurement in hand, the two cross bars I ordered are 60”. In the pictures, you can see there’s a couple inches of overhang on each side. The 3 connecting both ends are 43”, there was maybe an inch more of space but I wouldn’t push it

OP
OP
acelee1895

acelee1895

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also remember when I built mine, there was nothing on the market for sliders to fit in the elevate rails. You have to get a flat piece of steel, cut it to size, drill out two holes properly spaced then tap the threads

Sponsored

JBEN110

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Also remember when I built mine, there was nothing on the market for sliders to fit in the elevate rails. You have to get a flat piece of steel, cut it to size, drill out two holes properly spaced then tap the threads
thanks again!

JBEN110

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Got a fun one for you guys. I made a sized and fitted bed rack out of extruded aluminum. I got the idea from extrusion overland but didn't like their prices. It took custom fabricating a few pieces of hardware but overall was mostly design and build with no issues. I purchased the hardware and aluminum from TNUTZ. Can recommend

I have it mounted in the T slots of the Elevate T rails with 3/16inx3/4 steel bracket working in the slots as the anchor points for the aluminum. Those were the custom pieces, just a piece of steel cut to size, drilled with two holes and tapped to the correct bolt size.

I will throw up a few pictures but as with my other post, this isn't a DIY tutorial, this is a FYI heres some ideas post. I don't know what it is rated to, I don't know how long it will hold up, and I don't know if they Elevate rails will hold the load. I just mounted it so I don't know how it affects fuel economy yet either but I will have that over the next couple days.

Screenshot 2023-08-15 142326.png

Screenshot 2023-08-15 142409.png

Screenshot 2023-08-15 142427.png

Screenshot 2023-08-15 142446.png

Screenshot 2023-08-15 142459.png
I have my ts rails installed and the extrusion ordered. I’m just curious on how your bed rack is holding up? Have any tips based on your experience and do you find it’s staying together and stable enough? Thanks

OP
OP
acelee1895

acelee1895

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have my ts rails installed and the extrusion ordered. I’m just curious on how your bed rack is holding up? Have any tips based on your experience and do you find it’s staying together and stable enough? Thanks
I think it's holding up surprisingly well about 30k miles on it a lot of which were on national forest roads solar panels have been mounted the whole time. Nothing has come loose and I didn't use any sort of loctite. Some hardware is building up some surface rust but I think it's the bolts I got from Lowes and not the ones I got from tnutz. Just had 70 mph winds in a thunderstorm yesterday morning and everything is still attached.

JBEN110

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think it's holding up surprisingly well about 30k miles on it a lot of which were on national forest roads solar panels have been mounted the whole time. Nothing has come loose and I didn't use any sort of loctite. Some hardware is building up some surface rust but I think it's the bolts I got from Lowes and not the ones I got from tnutz. Just had 70 mph winds in a thunderstorm yesterday morning and everything is still attached.
thats great! i should be able to put mine together next week if it all arrives on time.

OP
OP
acelee1895

acelee1895

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
thats great! i should be able to put mine together next week if it all arrives on time.
Just make sure to have everything torqued and you should be good. If you want to be extra good, use loctite. I was lazy and expected to have to redo it but haven't had to yet. I like to follow the saying, if you're gonna be dumb, be smart about it
Sponsored