Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I guess with all the crap on the DFW non toll highways I shouldn't be surprised, I've had small rock strikes a few times now but today I finally got bit.

Took a decent rock on the windshield this afternoon, hit centered on the driver and about 1/2 inch down from the top. Just as I am thinking that will be a good chip and how old my repair resin is (and where did I put that UV light?) I see the crack slowly emerging down from my tint band...

The crack is about 16 inches long now, luckily it is arcing back towards the passenger side.

So far the estimates are running from $750 to $940, the highest being a national chain. All are all saying 7 -10 days to arrive in Fort Worth from Michigan. I was happy they weren't projecting much longer lead times on the glass, out of pocket will just be my deductible, but I am having them quote both price and lead-time. Of course with the camera, it cannot be repaired in my driveway or one of my job sites, so that will be a small pain in the butt.
Sponsored

ValenciaOrange

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My neighbor used Safelite to fix the window on his Tesla. They were able to program the camera.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
Are you going to just replace it with the XLT glass or are you going to give the Lariat "Noise Reducing Windshield" a try?

OP
OP
LC48

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My neighbor used Safelite to fix the window on his Tesla. They were able to program the camera.
Good info, Safelite is one of my quotes (highest) but I may have misunderstood them - I can say for sure the other quotes all state they can reprogram but it has to be in their shop - I will call them first thing.

Are you going to just replace it with the XLT glass or are you going to give the Lariat "Noise Reducing Windshield" a try?
I asked and they all told me they had to replace based on the VIN specs due to having to order from Ford, I want to discuss that with my insurance tomorrow - I would be willing to pay the difference.

93nighthawk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Transit 150, 97 Aerostar AWD, future XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Seems a little high priced unless you have heated windshield.

windshield less heat $425.43
windshield less heat w/ acoustic $436.75

Now if you have heated windshield (lux package) add an additional $100+ to those prices.

Sponsored

Mark Rash

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick, 2015 Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you checked with your insurance? Many auto policies include windshield repairs or replacements at little to no cost. I had to replace the acoustic windshield in my Prius last year due to a rock and it cost me less than $100. And it's not the same as filing an accident claim.

Update: sorry, I totally missed your sentence avoid insurance. Still, the deductible for glass repair is usually much lower than an accident claim.

wastefulnot2

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen 2 rav4, 3rd gen ranger, sentra, yard art
Generally any safety equipment being fixed by insurance will have very little cost or none at all. Read your insurance and look for anything "safety" related or just talk to your insurance person they're usually pretty ok people.

I had a chip in the glass of my CRISP 2001 Chevy Malibu when I was 16 that was gonna cost me near 50$ out of pocket to fix, but the insurance agent let me know the cost for a full windshield replacement was 0$ if the glass was irreparable. At that time 50$ was a slab of cheap beer and a log of Kodiak. Luckily a concrete bird fell into that window that very same day and ruined the glass. Life is funny like that sometimes.

XLTLUXCG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia - soon to be XLT Maverick
I guess with all the crap on the DFW non toll highways I shouldn't be surprised, I've had small rock strikes a few times now but today I finally got bit.

Took a decent rock on the windshield this afternoon, hit centered on the driver and about 1/2 inch down from the top. Just as I am thinking that will be a good chip and how old my repair resin is (and where did I put that UV light?) I see the crack slowly emerging down from my tint band...

The crack is about 16 inches long now, luckily it is arcing back towards the passenger side.

So far the estimates are running from $750 to $940, the highest being a national chain. All are all saying 7 -10 days to arrive in Fort Worth from Michigan. I was happy they weren't projecting much longer lead times on the glass, out of pocket will just be my deductible, but I am having them quote both price and lead-time. Of course with the camera, it cannot be repaired in my driveway or one of my job sites, so that will be a small pain in the butt.
Yuck, on 35? My wife's outlander got smacked and we found that A-1 Auto Glass was the cheapest. They were great!

OP
OP
LC48

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The zero dollar deductible coverage for this seems to vary greatly state-to-state and carrier by carrier. Here mine is just a standard no-fault comp claim, for me a $250 deductible.

Those crazy prices I quoted of course include recalibration of the camera system and Ford factory glass as that is all that is currently on the market. I am sure it would be far cheaper with aftermarket glass and no calibration, but this is why we pay the premiums. Weird deal is Safelight quoted the $940, but if you do their online quote it comes up at $1800!

My insurer will only replace with the glass as installed per the VIN, I really didn't want the sound glass bad enough to chase it any further. I had both Advanced Auto Glass and A1 tell me their system couldn't calibrate the Mav, and another never returned my calls, so it goes in to Safelight on the 21st if the glass arrives by then. They tell me this system cannot be dynamically calibrated (calibrated while driving) as some can but has to be done in the shop with the target boards.

The tint guy will see me shortly after -

OP
OP
LC48

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Seems a little high priced unless you have heated windshield.

windshield less heat $425.43
windshield less heat w/ acoustic $436.75

Now if you have heated windshield (lux package) add an additional $100+ to those prices.
Just an update on the price, finally got the work done today.

The oem glass was $351, the "kit" was $20 and labor was $122. Then the calibration $250 on top.

But....taking it back, it makes creaking sounds and looking closely it is not sitting in the frame evenly side to side - hell the first digit of the vin is not visible thru the little window.

Fun stuff

Sponsored

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just an update on the price, finally got the work done today.

The oem glass was $351, the "kit" was $20 and labor was $122. Then the calibration $250 on top.

But....taking it back, it makes creaking sounds and looking closely it is not sitting in the frame evenly side to side - hell the first digit of the vin is not visible thru the little window.

Fun stuff
Did you get the Windshield replaced again? Scheduled an appointment with Safelight for next Thursday. A rock cracked my window yesterday and it's not repairable. Hopefully gets installed properly and there's no issues with the Adaptive Cruise and Lane Centering afterwards. Another local shop said they did not have the software to calibrate the camera.
Safelight quote was $970 calling in, $1800 online? I have a $100 glass deductible with State Farm, but will also have to have it tinted again.

Edit: Work order from safelight shows $600 for the Lariat Windshield, $250 for Calibration.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LC48

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hey @Gullzway , no not yet. Was supposed to be last Saturday morning but the backup windshield had not arrived. It is in their warehouse now so I go in @0700 Monday.

Those are the same numbers I originally got from them as well, as I posted above with the recalibration it came out to $743 all in.

The creaking went away, I assume the glue finally cured hard, but the off-center is unacceptable. My shop could not find the Maverick in their calibration setup, I told them to call Ford and they could probably use the Bronco Sport setup. They made it work no problem, and lane keeping etc works perfectly.

What part of OK? I grew up in Ada....

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tulsa. Interesting they don't have the camera Cal. I'll have to ask about that.

OP
OP
LC48

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My best memory of Tulsa, the NSRA Nationals in '76. The night cruises were great!
Sponsored