janderson85

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I noticed a click sound when I am turning at lower speeds like entering a driveway while applying the brakes too. I don’t know if this would be a steering/suspension/brake issue. I notice it more when there is also an elevation change like enter an inclined driveway or turning on a side street with a dip.

the tread from pudakis with his wad sound similar to mine but I have a fwd.

I updated with a video with sound you might have to turn the volume up. This is me turning right into my driveway with a slight bump and while applying light brakes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I noticed a click sound when I am turning at lower speeds like entering a driveway while applying the brakes too. I don’t know if this would be a steering/suspension/brake issue. I notice it more when there is also an elevation change like enter an inclined driveway or turning on a side street with a dip.

the tread from pudakis with his wad sound similar to mine but I have a fwd.
Hey there. I can look into your Maverick’s noise concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Assuming you can duplicate the issue, I would recommend taking a service advisor from your dealership for a short ride to demonstrate it. They can ride passenger or drive as they prefer - it shouldn't matter if they're driving, as long as they listen to you and do the correct things to make it occur.

If you can't make it to a dealership very soon, I guess you could try to record a video with the sound, but I think it'll be a bit challenging to hear it well on a video, unless it's pretty loud.

Right now you can visually inspect under the truck and look at the axles coming out of each wheel hub. Follow that back and see if you notice any grease, oil, etc. Take pics if you do see something, it should be dry under there.

OP
OP

janderson85

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here is an update on my issue. Had the dealer look at it. They said they couldn’t find anything. Most likely they drove it for 5 min and said looks good to me and moved on. Still get the sound especially on hotter day. Sounds like something is shifting. Guess something has to fall off the truck before it is taken seriously. I never even got a report from the dealer on what they check out.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Here is an update on my issue. Had the dealer look at it. They said they couldn’t find anything. Most likely they drove it for 5 min and said looks good to me and moved on. Still get the sound especially on hotter day. Sounds like something is shifting. Guess something has to fall off the truck before it is taken seriously. I never even got a report from the dealer on what they check out.
Bummer, but I am not surprised, and that's why I suggested in my previous reply to ride along with them.

If it can't be duplicated while you're in the truck with them, it will be hard to get it diagnosed and repaired.

If you have any other Ford dealerships in your area, call one, explain this, and state your desire to be in the vehicle with them while you demonstrate the noise and issues.

Sponsored

Matchstick08

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My 22 XLT with 18k miles makes a similar noise. I just started to notice it. Now, how long that noise has been around - who knows. I don't think it was there 5k miles ago, though.

Dealer took a look at it today and first said they couldn't hear anything. They tried again later in the day (warmer) and said they could hear a faint ratcheting/clicking noise during low speed turning. They also compared to to new/similar vehicles on their lot and said they heard the same noise (don't know how truthful that is).

They're guessing it's a clock spring in the airbag assembly. Ford does not acknowledge that it's an "issue" on the Maverick so there is no "fix". Only benefit is that I took it in and it's "documented" now. I'll pick the truck up this evening and just continue to monitor. Radio is on 90% of the time, so I can't hear it anyways.

Kind of annoying.

Cigargoyle

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick FX4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sounds real similar to the noise my Corsair is currently in the shop for. Told it is a bad strut bearing.

OP
OP

janderson85

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did take it in and of course the dealer didn’t find anything or find anything they didn’t want to fix. They didn’t even give me any run down of checks and results. They just test drove it for probably ten minutes and called it good. They had more profitable issues else where. Sucks when there is only one ford dealer in town.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This might be relevant.

SM 52051 - 2019-2023 Edge/Nautilus, 2022-2023 Maverick - AWD - Chatter/Shudder During Low Speed Turning Events

Some 2019-2023 Edge/Nautilus and 2022-2023 Maverick vehicles equipped with all wheel drive (AWD) may exhibit chatter/shudder during low speed turning events. This may be due to fluid contamination in the rear drive unit (RDU). Drain and refill the RDU, refer to Workshop Manual Section (WSM) 205-02. Drive for 5 miles (8 km) in stop and go conditions with right and left turns and re-evaluate. If the issue is still present, continue with normal WSM diagnostics. For claiming, use causal part 4000.

Supplemental information from 2019-2023 Edge-Nautilus Workshop Manual RDU Diagnostics and Testing document...

Axle Fluid Analysis

The appearance of yellow or green axle fluid in early mileage axles is a result of yellow marking compound used at the assembly plant to verify gear mesh contact pattern. The marking compound within the fluid will darken some over time. Appearance of milky fluid could be caused by water intrusion. Drain and refill the fluid and retest for normal operation.

OP
OP

janderson85

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank you for that. My Maverick isn’t awd though. I also noticed that is pretty much goes away the cold the temp outside

Sponsored

sanhozay

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT LUX 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I recently started getting this same noise, like a single loud click sound only happens when turning at very low speeds. Sounds like its coming from the front of the car forsure

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I recently started getting this same noise, like a single loud click sound only happens when turning at very low speeds. Sounds like its coming from the front of the car forsure
Good morning, Gary! I would be glad to help you out with these clicking sound concerns if you'd like. Just shoot us a PM with your VIN and dealer name/location, and I'll get right on it. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". Thank you!
Sponsored