First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I find the dealer allocation comments confusing to me. I stopped in my dealer talked with the order manager. 10 + years as order manger. Specifically asked about their allocation numbers. His answer our allocation only pertains to dealer orders for our inventory. A custom order with drivers license and deposit is separate from that.

How would one go about determine if that is true or false?
Sponsored

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I find the dealer allocation comments confusing to me. I stopped in my dealer talked with the order manager. 10 + years as order manger. Specifically asked about their allocation numbers. His answer our allocation only pertains to dealer orders for our inventory. A custom order with drivers license and deposit is separate from that.

It’s false because in ford’s own memo to dealers it states

“Dealer Allocation based on Approved Market Basket Formula”

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tim thank you got the video it was helpful!

I however, am still in a tad of a conundrum. On October 11th I ordered a hybrid with XLT Luxury (with the Spray in Bed liner), Co-pilot 360, and hard tri-fold tonneau and I am patiently waiting. I did receive my order confirmation and have my print out from the dealership. After reading the e-mail with this unique selection of having all 3 of these packages/items selected the 10 recommendations by Ford do not address making any changes to this unique combination. I did not get a call call from my dealership as of yet but I did leave a message for my salesman that we might review this and maybe dropping the tonneau cover and mud flaps if that would help. After watching the video Tim also put up about the Hard tri-folds I feel confident about installing one myself.

Again I don’t know if that would even help the order at all. Either because of the unique situation that having This combination of packages/items not listed with any suggested changes either means it should easily fall within this year or it’s already decided it absolutely won’t. I am leaning toward the optimistic side that it is slated to be scheduled this year. If anyone has any constructive thoughts?

I mean the longer it takes the more money I have paid off on my 2018 Jeep Renegade and I have also seen the trade in value go up over around $4000 since October.
Tim has also
Those are things your dealer should be doing for you like Tim Bartz is doing for his customers. Like I said, Ford does not owe you anything because you really are not their customer, the dealer is their customer, you are the dealer's customer. If your dealer isn't going to bat for you like Tim Bartz is for his customers then that's a reflection of your dealer which is independently owned and operated, not a reflection of Ford. The fact is that the dealers have the upper hand right now and want to make the most money with minimal effort because they don't need to work for your business. Also, I'm sure so many dealers HOPE you get pissed and abandon your order so they can sell it with a 10k markup.
We may not be direct Ford customers since we can't buy directly from Ford, but we are still Ford customers. For every person on this forum and in the USA who can't buy a Ford truck for ANY reason and decides to buy, Chevy, Toyota, Hyundai, etc., that is one less Customer for Ford, doesn't matter about the dealership. In fact, because of some dealerships, the loss is two-fold, the customer leaves the dealership (no sale) and buys a different brand (again no sale for Ford) Dealerships only matter because it's the only means to purchase new Ford vehicles after that you really don't need a dealership again unless it's for a recall reason. If there is a recall it's Ford contacting it's "customers" about the issue, not the dealerships. So, yes I do think I'm a Ford customer and they do owe me a safe, reliable truck, if they want me to buy something else in the future. The dealership owe me a honest dependable experience if they want me back. Ford does care about it's customers (and stockholders) they're just doing a really crappy job right now of showing it. A bit of communication between Ford and it's customers can certainly go a long way. @fordvideoguy is doing Ford a great service to the whole Maverick community, not just his dealership, and Ford should take notice and copy some of his ways. There's obviously many dealers out there who don't bother doing the research or effort to learn more about what's happening (or their products for that matter), they are content to go with the flow and because the market is a seller's they don't have to do anything to sell a vehicle. I think in many ways Ford has done a great job with the Maverick, but in others they failed miserable.

Last edited:

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Still in the memo it does does not differentiate between dealer inventory vs a custom order.

I don't know. I was just repeating from a conversation. I see no reason for the manager to lie. Gets the dealer nothing.

Week before last they received 10 Hybrids. Some were September orders.

Really seems the allocation thing is black magic.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Still in the memo it does does not differentiate between dealer inventory vs a custom order.

I don't know. I was just repeating from a conversation. I see no reason for the manager to lie. Gets the dealer nothing.

Week before last they received 10 Hybrids. Some were September orders.

Really seems the allocation thing is black magic.

Sponsored

MinnMavGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Indeed, Delzona, using Tim as an example of how a dealer can reflect on Ford's image perfectly demonstrates the point I was attempting to make. He's an asset to the brand.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I had to look up Market Basket Formula

A market basket is a selected mix of goods and services that tracks the performance of a specific market or segment. A popular market basket is the Consumer Price Index (CPI), which provides an estimate for inflation based on the average change of price paid for a specific basket of goods and services over time.
How this applies to allocations is that based on a dealership's past performance in selling trucks will help determine the number of trucks (Mavericks) it will receive in the future. This is why smaller dealerships tend to get less allocations than larger dealerships. This works ok when the factory is pumping out trucks with no supply issues and dealer's lots are full of trucks. Customer's orders aren't tied to dealership allocations because there isn't a lot of them. The problem with Maverick is that the whole ordering process was customer orders! Instead of treating them as customer orders they're being tied to a dealership's inventory allocations, which has caused many folks who ordered early to not receive their Maverick yet, while others who ordered later got their Maverick. I do think that eventually most orders will get fulfilled, but as long as orders are tied to dealership allocations it's going to take time for some to get their Maverick. Now, everything I've written is based on what I read from many different sources and just boiled it down. So it's just my opinion, right or wrong, it's just an opinion.

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
Tim has also
We may not be direct Ford customers since we can't buy directly from Ford, but we are still Ford customers. For every person on this forum and in the USA who can't buy a Ford truck for ANY reason and decides to buy, Chevy, Toyota, Hyundai, etc., that is one less Customer for Ford, doesn't matter about the dealership. In fact, because of some dealerships, the loss is two-fold, the customer leaves the dealership (no sale) and buys a different brand (again no sale for Ford) Dealerships only matter because it's the only means to purchase new Ford vehicles after that you really don't need a dealership again unless it's for a recall reason. If there is a recall it's Ford contacting it's "customers" about the issue, not the dealerships. So, yes I do think I'm a Ford customer and they do owe me a safe, reliable truck, if they want me to buy something else in the future. The dealership owe me a honest dependable experience if they want me back. Ford does care about it's customers (and stockholders) they're just doing a really crappy job right now of showing it. A bit of communication between Ford and it's customers can certainly go a long way. @fordvideoguy is doing Ford a great service to the whole Maverick community, not just his dealership, and Ford should take notice and copy some of ways. There's obviously many dealers out there who don't bother doing the research or effort to learn more about what's happening (or their products for that matter), they are content to go with the flow and because the market is a seller's they don't have to do anything to sell a vehicle. I think in many ways Ford has done a great job with the Maverick, but in others they failed miserable.
Pretty sure Ford relies on their dealer network for direct customer relations, if your dealer is failing by either charging an ADM, not being helpful, not responding or not providing information I urge you to find another dealer. You're trying to squeeze water from a stone by chasing after Ford. Tim Bartz has unfortunately become a Ford ambassador in a sense but that's because so many other dealerships are like a deadbeat spouse, taking taking taking and not giving anything in return. The way Tim is doing it is the way all dealers should be, unfortunately it's not and that's where the process bleeds into Ford corporate. I'm sure Tim provides HIS customer's the best and most up to date info. I'm sure there are a few others who do so under the radar as well. I have not heard a single word from my dealer since ordering and I'm okay with that, I'm reasonable enough to understand that production changes are going to happen in our current crisis but I at least have a VIN and a (changing) production date. Most people here seem to want to be pampered. If that's the case buy a Lexus instead of a 20k truck within minimal profit margins that your dealer probably doesn't care about and probably wants you to abandon so they can mark it up. STOP expecting so much from Ford, it's stupid and ridiculous. You want to threaten to go to GM? GO THEN. Show me on their product page where they have a direct competitor to the Maverick. Right, they don't. You want to go to Hyundai? Go then, good luck ordering with them and expect to pay an ADM for what's on the lot.

MinnMavGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Actually, Ourisman in the MidAtlantic selling SC's at $500 under MSRP.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pretty sure Ford relies on their dealer network for direct customer relations, if your dealer is failing by either charging an ADM, not being helpful, not responding or not providing information I urge you to find another dealer. You're trying to squeeze water from a stone by chasing after Ford. Tim Bartz has unfortunately become a Ford ambassador in a sense but that's because so many other dealerships are like a deadbeat spouse, taking taking taking and not giving anything in return. The way Tim is doing it is the way all dealers should be, unfortunately it's not and that's where the process bleeds into Ford corporate. I'm sure Tim provides HIS customer's the best and most up to date info. I'm sure there are a few others who do so under the radar as well. I have not heard a single word from my dealer since ordering and I'm okay with that, I'm reasonable enough to understand that production changes are going to happen in our current crisis but I at least have a VIN and a (changing) production date. Most people here seem to want to be pampered. If that's the case buy a Lexus instead of a 20k truck within minimal profit margins that your dealer probably doesn't care about and probably wants you to abandon so they can mark it up. STOP expecting so much from Ford, it's stupid and ridiculous. You want to threaten to go to GM? GO THEN. Show me on their product page where they have a direct competitor to the Maverick. Right, they don't. You want to go to Hyundai? Go then, good luck ordering with them and expect to pay an ADM for what's on the lot.
Ford doesn't rely on dealerships for direct customer relations, I say that because I keep receiving email from Ford.com about the Lightning and Ford PASS. So someone inside Ford certainly thinks I'm a customer! As to my dealership they haven't failed me as yet. My Internet Salesman, hasn't always been able to answer my questions when it came to allocations for the dealership or why orders were picked ahead of mine. He would often say that he doesn't understand why Ford does what it does when picking orders. Otherwise he's done the best he could in the current situation and I've told him many times I'm not mad at him because he seemed to be doing the best he could, I was however mad at Ford for not being forth coming answers to questions many of us had. For me, it's always been about why orders weren't selected by the date they were placed. Seems simple enough concept, FIFO. I do understand constraints, supply issues, trucking/rail issues, but under those issues Ford couldn't answer the simple question of why did person A who place their order in June not get selected, meanwhile person B who place the same exact order in Oct gets a build date. So is this where the dealership should be stepping in since I their "customer"? If so, then many, many dealerships have failed their customers, because a lot of folks had no idea about allocations, I know I didn't. @fordvideoguy is doing the job I would have expected Ford Corporate to do, maybe not as in-depth as Tim has done, but along the same lines as to explain how the process works, especially since this seems to be the way Ford wants go for the future. Is it being pampered to ask when I can expect my truck to get built? Is it being pampered to ask why did Person B get their truck built, before mine? Personally, I don't think these are unreasonable questions to ask and since you insist that I'm a dealership customer, which in a sense I am since I can't buy directly from Ford, I did ask those questions and received the answer of I don't understand what Ford is doing. From reading many, many post on this forum and a lot of articles this doesn't seem to a one-off only in my dealership, many other dealership are telling their customers the same thing. To me, that points out a glaring problem in Ford. Customers want answers and if the dealership can't provide them then Ford should.
What I'm expecting is that Ford, a world class auto manufacture, is to treat all of it's customers with respect and care (dealerships included). Yes, I can take my business elsewhere, I choose not to because I do like Ford products and have for over 40 years. I'm not mad in the sense that "I'll show you Ford and take my business somewhere else" because you are right Ford doesn't care about me as a person. However, me as CUSTOMER with access to the internet, they do care and I've proven that by the results of my writing to their CUSTOMER Experience department (Funny, why would Ford have a CUSTOMER Experience department if I'm not a customer?...hmm) My point is that Ford has let a lot of people down with their communications about certain issues concerning Maverick and I think they can and should do better. Yes, right now there's very little pressure because as you pointed out there is basically no competition, however, if there was I'm betting Ford, not the dealerships, would be doing more to hold on to and attract more...CUSTOMERS!

Sponsored
OP
OP
fordvideoguy

fordvideoguy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.long-mcarthur.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Ford Bronco
Engine
Undecided

They now separate the stock allocations apart from the COVP allocations since they started the new custom ordering system.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had to look up Market Basket Formula

A market basket is a selected mix of goods and services that tracks the performance of a specific market or segment. A popular market basket is the Consumer Price Index (CPI), which provides an estimate for inflation based on the average change of price paid for a specific basket of goods and services over time.
How this applies to allocations is that based on a dealership's past performance in selling trucks will help determine the number of trucks (Mavericks) it will receive in the future. This is why smaller dealerships tend to get less allocations than larger dealerships. This works ok when the factory is pumping out trucks with no supply issues and dealer's lots are full of trucks. Customer's orders aren't tied to dealership allocations because there isn't a lot of them. The problem with Maverick is that the whole ordering process was customer orders! Instead of treating them as customer orders they're being tied to a dealership's inventory allocations, which has caused many folks who ordered early to not receive their Maverick yet, while others who ordered later got their Maverick. I do think that eventually most orders will get fulfilled, but as long as orders are tied to dealership allocations it's going to take time for some to get their Maverick. Now, everything I've written is based on what I read from many different sources and just boiled it down. So it's just my opinion, right or wrong, it's just an opinion.
I think you're right here. I got the same line from the GM of the dealership that I ordered from. I suspect that traditionally it would have been accurate since retail orders represented a small fraction of total volume. But in this unanticipated scenario, the Approved Market Basket Allocations dramatically affect actual scheduling and delivery.

n0maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tiguan, 2022 Maverick, 2013 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford doesn't rely on dealerships for direct customer relations, I say that because I keep receiving
I just noticed your signature. Glad to see you got scheduled! Not sure how I missed the news. I would expect a thread dedicated to your good news.

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
Ford doesn't rely on dealerships for direct customer relations, I say that because I keep receiving email from Ford.com about the Lightning and Ford PASS. So someone inside Ford certainly thinks I'm a customer! As to my dealership they haven't failed me as yet. My Internet Salesman, hasn't always been able to answer my questions when it came to allocations for the dealership or why orders were picked ahead of mine. He would often say that he doesn't understand why Ford does what it does when picking orders. Otherwise he's done the best he could in the current situation and I've told him many times I'm not mad at him because he seemed to be doing the best he could, I was however mad at Ford for not being forth coming answers to questions many of us had. For me, it's always been about why orders weren't selected by the date they were placed. Seems simple enough concept, FIFO. I do understand constraints, supply issues, trucking/rail issues, but under those issues Ford couldn't answer the simple question of why did person A who place their order in June not get selected, meanwhile person B who place the same exact order in Oct gets a build date. So is this where the dealership should be stepping in since I their "customer"? If so, then many, many dealerships have failed their customers, because a lot of folks had no idea about allocations, I know I didn't. @fordvideoguy is doing the job I would have expected Ford Corporate to do, maybe not as in-depth as Tim has done, but along the same lines as to explain how the process works, especially since this seems to be the way Ford wants go for the future. Is it being pampered to ask when I can expect my truck to get built? Is it being pampered to ask why did Person B get their truck built, before mine? Personally, I don't think these are unreasonable questions to ask and since you insist that I'm a dealership customer, which in a sense I am since I can't buy directly from Ford, I did ask those questions and received the answer of I don't understand what Ford is doing. From reading many, many post on this forum and a lot of articles this doesn't seem to a one-off only in my dealership, many other dealership are telling their customers the same thing. To me, that points out a glaring problem in Ford. Customers want answers and if the dealership can't provide them then Ford should.
What I'm expecting is that Ford, a world class auto manufacture, is to treat all of it's customers with respect and care (dealerships included). Yes, I can take my business elsewhere, I choose not to because I do like Ford products and have for over 40 years. I'm not mad in the sense that "I'll show you Ford and take my business somewhere else" because you are right Ford doesn't care about me as a person. However, me as CUSTOMER with access to the internet, they do care and I've proven that by the results of my writing to their CUSTOMER Experience department (Funny, why would Ford have a CUSTOMER Experience department if I'm not a customer?...hmm) My point is that Ford has let a lot of people down with their communications about certain issues concerning Maverick and I think they can and should do better. Yes, right now there's very little pressure because as you pointed out there is basically no competition, however, if there was I'm betting Ford, not the dealerships, would be doing more to hold on to and attract more...CUSTOMERS!
You can believe what you want to believe but in the end, it's the dealer's job to sell the vehicle. I think you basically just want to be coddled by Ford but that's on you. I'll say it over and over, it doesn't take a genius to understand that we're in a supply constricted environment with a lot of hurdles to jump over and I don't blame Ford for their stance, they DO NOT deal directly with customers on a day to day basis, that is the job of the dealer. Do they MARKET their products? Yes, that is not customer relations. Sorry if you think it is but it's not. I'll also say again that if you can't handle the wait and uncertainty then please leave these forums and go buy something else since you're convinced that the grass is greener on the other side.

Why someone would constantly complain about a company and make them out to be incompetent yet still want their product is beyond me. I think it's hilarious that you illustrate my point exactly. You're claiming that Ford is losing customers because in your mind their communication is egregious yet, here you still are, chomping at the bit to buy a Maverick. Obviously they haven't lost you as a customer. Why waste resources coddling people like you when you're still going to buy it. Besides, it's the dealers job to coddle you, not Ford corporate.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just noticed your signature. Glad to see you got scheduled! Not sure how I missed the news. I would expect a thread dedicated to your good news.
Yeah, you would think that I would do that 😆. I think I updated the the thead I started about writing to Ford, maybe I should if I didn't.
Sponsored