Chip shortage MURDERING new car sales.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
Just doing some research. The average Ford Dealer in the USA has only 24 NEW Fords.
1 Mach E
2 Ecosport
1 Bronco Sport
4 Escapes
2 Ford Edge
3 Explorer
1 Expedition
3 Ranger
1 Transit Connect
1 Transit
5 F Series

that’s not a lot of cars.
talking to dealers. This time of year you can add a 0 to all those numbers normally
Sponsored

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
My Ford dealer has (9) vehicles total.
I think there's more here than meets the eye. 99% of my local dealers have hardly any new stock. That said, there's a local Buick dealer that has more new vehicles than I've ever seen on his lot with overflow across the street in a vacant facility.
I don't think dealers are too concerned, they possible make a lot more on used vehicles and older vehicles are filling their service bays, a win-win.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Ford dealer has (9) vehicles total.
I think there's more here than meets the eye. 99% of my local dealers have hardly any new stock. That said, there's a local Buick dealer that has more new vehicles than I've ever seen on his lot with overflow across the street in a vacant facility.
I don't think dealers are too concerned, they possible make a lot more on used vehicles and older vehicles are filling their service bays, a win-win.
dealers may not be hurting. But sales reps are. Only selling 2-3 new cars a month isn’t going to pay the bills.

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
dealers may not be hurting. But sales reps are. Only selling 2-3 new cars a month isn’t going to pay the bills.
Most of the dealers in my area have combined their sales, used and new in order to take care of a huge increase in used car sales. For some odd reason, I have a tough time feeling sorry for dealerships.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most of the dealers in my area have combined their sales, used and new in order to take care of a huge increase in used car sales. For some odd reason, I have a tough time feeling sorry for dealerships.
I think this is going to make automakers to consider going to the Tesla model. Ordering direct.

Sponsored

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
I agree and think they're edging slowly towards this. There are several aspects of the car buying experience which are archaic to say the least, wasted money, time and nothing but games.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly...I kinda feel like I'm living on a different planet, but I'm just in Columbus, OH.

Ricart Ford:

1 Mach E
106 Ecosport
26 Bronco Sport
14 Escapes
3 Ford Edge
2 Explorer
0 Expedition
0 Ranger
0 Transit Connect
0 Transit
26 F-150
10 F-250
21 F-350
52 F-450+ DRW
...plus a remaining assortment of cars (Fusion Hybrid, Mustang, etc)

Dick Masheter Ford

1 Mach E
20 Ecosport
3 Bronco Sport
20 Escape
4 Ford Edge
16 Explorer
1 Expedition
4 Ranger
4 Transit Connect
0 Transit
21 F-150
8 F-250
3 F-350

We're missing a few models, but seem to be flush with F-series, Ecosports, Escapes, and Bronco Sports...and this is just two of the 4 dealers in Columbus. I can't decide if Cbus is just a storage point, since we sit at the junction of I-71 and I-70, plus being just a few hours from I-77 and I-75?

I have to admit, though...the lots Subaru and GM are looking a little thin.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly...I kinda feel like I'm living on a different planet, but I'm just in Columbus, OH.

Ricart Ford:

1 Mach E
106 Ecosport
26 Bronco Sport
14 Escapes
3 Ford Edge
2 Explorer
0 Expedition
0 Ranger
0 Transit Connect
0 Transit
26 F-150
10 F-250
21 F-350
52 F-450+ DRW
...plus a remaining assortment of cars (Fusion Hybrid, Mustang, etc)

Dick Masheter Ford

1 Mach E
20 Ecosport
3 Bronco Sport
20 Escape
4 Ford Edge
16 Explorer
1 Expedition
4 Ranger
4 Transit Connect
0 Transit
21 F-150
8 F-250
3 F-350

We're missing a few models, but seem to be flush with F-series, Ecosports, Escapes, and Bronco Sports...and this is just two of the 4 dealers in Columbus. I can't decide if Cbus is just a storage point, since we sit at the junction of I-71 and I-70, plus being just a few hours from I-77 and I-75?

I have to admit, though...the lots Subaru and GM are looking a little thin.
I think because your in a MAJOR city. I’m here in Toledo Oh.
Out of 8 Metro Area Dealers we only have a total of 170 New Fords. That’s 21 per. Talking to a few of them. Add a 0. They typically have 250-350 each. Especially this time of year with new models coming in.

then I could drive an hour out of tow to hit up more dealers. But just a perspective. I don’t think your going to get a good deal on a car right now.

zeketolliver

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hyundai Tuscon NLine
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
then I could drive an hour out of tow to hit up more dealers. But just a perspective. I don’t think your going to get a good deal on a car right now.
I 100% agree on not finding a good deal. When I first started looking around back in February, there were something like 20 rangers at both of the dealers I checked. Of course, we're bumping up against one major factor, on top of the chip shortage. We are pretty much in next model year territory for most car companies, so the 2021 models are being sold to make room for 2022, except, as you say, sales and incentives are few and far between.

motoretro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subie
I 100% agree on not finding a good deal. When I first started looking around back in February, there were something like 20 rangers at both of the dealers I checked. Of course, we're bumping up against one major factor, on top of the chip shortage. We are pretty much in next model year territory for most car companies, so the 2021 models are being sold to make room for 2022, except, as you say, sales and incentives are few and far between.
You're correct, that said, I wonder about the 10,000 Ford Trucks that are suppose to be parked at Kentucky Speedway. Rather than shut the lines down, they moved them there awaiting installation of chips. These are 2021's, once chips arrive, are they going to be sold and when they're gone, 2022's will start after the normal delay? If they bring out the 2022's at the normal time, it seems there will be a fire sale on the all the 2021's.
Sponsored