First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going" Beverly Sills".
Congratulations on saving yourself 20 minutes, or 30 whatever. Just one question: WHY?
I paid nearly $28,000 for my XLT, so the very last thing I would do would be to risk developing any issues by circumventing the manufacturer's recommendations on something as critical as engine lubrication. Especially during the general warranty period where a solid paper trail on maintenance is generally a good idea, not to mention the extended powertrain warranty. So I prefer to have the dealer do it. And any prospective buyer might be interested in that maintenance record as well.
Of course in the end, to each his own. You may very well go on down the road without a problem and I hope that's the case, but I don't see the risk/reward ratio here being worth it.
Sponsored

CajunMick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Heman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is something that I could do(I am 77). Pay to have a shop put in a super oil filter and an oil change; and on the next oil change use this approach. Not sure the savings would be enough to justify this approach for me. Would this affect the warranty; not sure. Guess I will just stick with paying for regular oil changes; ah to be 50 again. Thanks for the post.
If you do oil change, should be able to go in the Ford maintenance log online and record the oil change. I did that for my F250. Entered mileage, added notes of oil and filter change.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you do oil change, should be able to go in the Ford maintenance log online and record the oil change. I did that for my F250. Entered mileage, added notes of oil and filter change.
This ☝ No "Paper" trail needed. No App needed.
Enter the oil change and other maintenance of your truck at> https://www.ford.com/support/service-history

I buy my own Ford-approved oil & filter and take it to a local mechanic. He charges $29.95 for labor - a price I gladly pay to a reputable mechanic to do the work for me. I used to do my own oil changes, but at 70, I don't feel like doing that kind of fn work any more.

OP
OP

tamamade

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XL 2.0 ecoboost AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Was the other engine an Ecoboost?
No the other one is naturally aspired. I heard no matter what you do , you will need to have some major service of the ecoboost between 150~200k. So what the heck.

CajunMick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Heman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This ☝ No "Paper" trail needed. No App needed.
Enter the oil change and other maintenance of your truck at> https://www.ford.com/support/service-history

I buy my own Ford-approved oil & filter and take it to a local mechanic. He charges $29.95 for labor - a price I gladly pay to a reputable mechanic to do the work for me. I used to do my own oil changes, but at 70, I don't feel like doing that kind of fn work any more.
Thanks for followup. It’s what I did, log on the Ford site. I did oil n filter change on my F250. Until age creep got to me. Nowadays I take my vehicles to the local Ford Quick Change service center. I watch for coupons, use them to save few dollars.

Sponsored

Silver23

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a coworker at the shop once tell me changing the oil without the filter is like taking a shower and putting dirty underwear back on. ahahaha
Many years ago I had a mity max pickup and the book said change the filter every other time.
It won't hurt a thing to do this with a quality filter like the M1 IMO.

OrCoaster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81 VW Caddy and 96 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used to do my own oil changes, but at 70, I don't feel like doing that kind of fn work any more.
Man as I turn towards that 70 point in life I have not wondered if I should be crawling under the truck doing oil changes and other maintenance. That is part of the fun of owning a truck. I just did the battery and starter in my other 1981 and it was so easy. I did have to put down a piece of carpet to lay on. But not because I am old and get sore, but because it was wet out there!

Don't take my wrenches from me, it is the little bit of sanity I can hold on to!

Last edited:
OP
OP

tamamade

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Congratulations on saving yourself 20 minutes, or 30 whatever. Just one question: WHY?
I paid nearly $28,000 for my XLT, so the very last thing I would do would be to risk developing any issues by circumventing the manufacturer's recommendations on something as critical as engine lubrication. Especially during the general warranty period where a solid paper trail on maintenance is generally a good idea, not to mention the extended powertrain warranty. So I prefer to have the dealer do it. And any prospective buyer might be interested in that maintenance record as well.
Of course in the end, to each his own. You may very well go on down the road without a problem and I hope that's the case, but I don't see the risk/reward ratio here being worth it.
I'm not circumventing any dealer recommendations. The oil I am using is way better than the "synthetic blend" dealer's using, and the filter is way way better than dealer's trashy filter. Ford only wants your maverick to go past their powertrain warranty, but I plan to run mine over 300k miles. Don't cave in to the fear mongering. If you know cars, you know those are bullshit.

OP
OP

tamamade

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Plus, with the amount of driving, I will need to do an oil change every 2.5 months. going to the dealer every 2.5 months is no fun! I drive about 33k per year.

OP
OP

tamamade

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a coworker at the shop once tell me changing the oil without the filter is like taking a shower and putting dirty underwear back on. ahahaha
Many years ago I had a mity max pickup and the book said change the filter every other time.
It won't hurt a thing to do this with a quality filter like the M1 IMO.
That is true if you let the shop use their bulk purchased trashy filter
Sponsored