Sponsored

Have you changed your oil yet? Oil life monitor question.

Wnbasac

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V & firebird T/A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is there a larger oil filter that will take it 5.7 to 6 qts?
Sponsored

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All of you who constantly pound "metal flakes/particles/etc" in the oil due to break in need to put your oil analysis where your mouth is.

Someone change it at 1,000 miles and let's see the report showing this contamination.

It's BS - a relic of the past.
So you have proof of that? Is there a youtube video or web site were someone tested there oil after 500 or so miles on a new engine. I am actually asking. If there isn't then why make such a statement? If there is let me know. I will stand corrected.

But lets says your correct. that still doesn't mean you can drive your car thousands more miles than the past. when i say past I mean 20 or so years past. Oil still gets dirty and oil can only hold so much dirt in suspension. Filters have NOT improved much over the last 20 years, plus they are smaller now. . Sorry they haven't they still filter the same size particles out.

But in the end its up to the owner. Were talking peanuts money wise here. There is another thread were a guy said he paid 15K over sticker from Carvana and he is fine with that. Now that is some wasted money,

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All of you who constantly pound "metal flakes/particles/etc" in the oil due to break in need to put your oil analysis where your mouth is.
Someone change it at 1,000 miles and let's see the report showing this contamination.
It's BS - a relic of the past.
New engine parts are lapped to some extent, but the Ra is still large enough to create a break-in situation.

Tons of proof. Just one example is at: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...subsequent-pup-6k-miles-2021-kia-niro.352037/ Typical example here. ...
You'll notice wear metals are around 3 times what they should be in break-in factory-fill (FF) original oil. This is typical for the dozens of oil UOA's from FF I've seen over the last 10 years or so.

Many other examples of UOA's from factory oil having high PPM levels if you care to look.

Is there a larger oil filter that will take it 5.7 to 6 qts?
A larger XG3600 fits and does increase oil capacity for sure.
A larger XG8A MIGHT fit and increases oil capacity even more, although I'm not sure if the XG8A is too wide;, I'll try it later; ... only get an XG8A if you want to see if it clears; it might not.

Wnbasac

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
New engine parts are lapped to some extent, but the Ra is still large enough to create a break-in situation.

Tons of proof. Just one example is at: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...subsequent-pup-6k-miles-2021-kia-niro.352037/ Typical example here. ...
You'll notice wear metals are around 3 times what they should be in break-in factory-fill (FF) original oil. This is typical for the dozens of oil UOA's from FF I've seen over the last 10 years or so.

Many other examples of UOA's from factory oil having high PPM levels if you care to look.

A larger XG8A MIGHT fit and increases oil capacity even more, although I'm not sure if the XG8A is too wide;, I'll try it later; ... only get an XG8A if you want to see if it clears; it might not.
Oops, I forgot to mention I was asking for the Hybrid.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks for the proof. This is why I always change my oil on a new engine at about 1000 miles. Metal from break in. So clearly not a relic of the past. For those that extend oil changes in the 10K range Yikes I don't want a used car from you.

Sponsored

Mr Mayor

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat
It is wise to spend $5 at your hardware store on ceramic magnets and stick them on the oil filter. They will trap small particles the filter misses.

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am at 3700 miles on mine and get my first Oil Change this weekend. According to the Ford App I still have 66% of oil life remaining and 6400 miles to go. But I am about to take a 5K+ mile road trip and would rather do that before and after rather than try and skimp and get by with what the monitor says.

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oops, I forgot to mention I was asking for the Hybrid.
When you said 5.7 quarts, that is the Hybrid oil capacity (with filter), so it identified as a Hybrid. Ecoboost has 5.5 qts.
Both use same oil filter. I assume an XG3600 fits on the Ecoboost like I know it does on the Hybrid, but needs confirmation. My future experiment to get the even bigger XG8A might be nuts though, as it takes up 0.4" more radius & might contact something.

Wnbasac

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Louie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When you said 5.7 quarts, that is the Hybrid oil capacity (with filter), so it identified as a Hybrid. Ecoboost has 5.5 qts.
Both use same oil filter. I assume an XG3600 fits on the Ecoboost like I know it does on the Hybrid, but needs confirmation. My future experiment to get the even bigger XG8A might be nuts though, as it takes up 0.4" more radius & might contact something.
Thank you

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

First off no big oil is behind when to change your oil. Now my info is rather dated but I will give it to you anyway. I worked at Chevy dealer back in the late 80's till about 96. Oil gets dirty from piston blow by. Exhaust gas gets past the piston rings and contaminates the oil. That still happens and no piston rings have no that much improved.

So with that said we had some Government vehicles which followed the oil change guidance in owners manuals. Well those engines gummed up big time. Then if you read the fine print in owners manual it said only follow if under normal conditions. Well what was that. it was a whole host of things no one could possibly meet. Examples, drive car at minimum 25 miles every day to fully warm the oil to burn off any condensation built up in oil. Then they had a parts per million in dust in air. . . Temp had to be 72 F. and on.

On all my new cars i change the oil first at 1000 miles. New engines have all sort of filings inside during initial break in. Yes rings and bearings, camshafts have a break in. small metal particles I want them out. i used to build race engines too back on the day. Mostly small block chevy or big blocks.

I am sure many will see thats ancient tech. Maybe so but mechanics of engines aren't that much better. fuel delivery and design has greatly improved but tolerances you may think are better but there not. You can only do so much with piston rings which is the main cause of dirt getting into oil.

Take it for what its worth. ignore if you don't like it.

oh I change my oil at 5K I don't have a Mav yet I have Ford Ecosport 2.0 now. it uses ford Synthblend oi. l What does the hybrid 2.5 call for? should be in owners manual
From one old mechanic to another you nailed it😎

Sponsored

mcgarveyjb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT W/Lux and spray in
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For those that have changed their oil already, did the oil life monitor reset on its own? Or did you have to reset it manually? Just trying to determine how “intelligent” it is.
had my first oil change on sat at 6300 miles, the app has not reset yet.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My oil monitor stopped working in the App....keeps telling me to check back later and that was a month ago

OP
OP
Brian_J

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am at 3700 miles on mine and get my first Oil Change this weekend. According to the Ford App I still have 66% of oil life remaining and 6400 miles to go. But I am about to take a 5K+ mile road trip and would rather do that before and after rather than try and skimp and get by with what the monitor says.
Who is doing the uoa? Please post the results! I’ll be taking a sample to send to blackstone when I hit 6000 on this oil.

OP
OP
Brian_J

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My oil monitor stopped working in the App....keeps telling me to check back later and that was a month ago
Working fine here. iPhone on newest update. Ford pass on 4.18.1

OP
OP
Brian_J

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
had my first oil change on sat at 6300 miles, the app has not reset yet.
You need to reset it in your dash screen. I’m pretty sure it’s just milage based.
Sponsored