First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 + Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hoping this is my final form for a little while. I'm downsizing from a F150 8' bed and wanted a vehicle that could do it all without breaking the bank. I work in event production and property maintenance, so enough bed space/hauling was a primary concern, and snow/sand capability was another for my hobbies. When I started to piece together my build I couldn't find anything on the amazon generic bed racks, so hopefully this helps someone out, even though mine is frankensteined together due to a seller error, but still, I'm happy as it cost me $200 for the bed rack, $150 for the cargo basket, so $350 all in for the bed setup.

-Wheels/tires are LP wheels with 245/65/17 BF Goodrich ATs. I haven't had a chance to go offroad yet with them, but I'll say they are heavy and louder than I expected.
-Fog/strobes are Everbrite from Amazon. I haven't needed them on the road yet, got them for snowstorms and strobes for road work. The beam pattern at this location seems decent and shoots the beam wide. Install was a PITA. Passenger side you can barely reach your arm through the wheel well to connect hardware, driver side there's stuff in the way and I had to get creative to bolt the lights up...or just take the bumper off from the start.

I'll drop details as I go

Ford Maverick Carbonized Gray Maverick w/ bed rack, toolbox, and other mods maverick1

Ford Maverick Carbonized Gray Maverick w/ bed rack, toolbox, and other mods maverick2

I know it's a crappy shot to show off the bed rack, but it's all I got. The bed rack is the 17" high amazon rack, and thule bars I had to modify since the seller didn't send me the cross bars. Some modifications and it fits snug, and flush with the roofline. The bed rack is more solid than I expected and the thule bars are probably the weak link. Original plan was to extend the bed rack bars above the roofline and get a roof rack above the cab so I can transport ladders/lumber, but Home Depot had this Mockins brand rack on sale and decided to give it a whirl. It brings the ladder above the roofline, extends contact area a bit outside the towers, and I have bonus storage for when I max out the bed, which I wouldn't have with the bed rack/roof rack combo. I think it looks excessive but if the utility is there I'll deal.
Ford Maverick Carbonized Gray Maverick w/ bed rack, toolbox, and other mods IMG-1760 (1)

Back view of cargo basket 63"L x 30somethingW.

Ford Maverick Carbonized Gray Maverick w/ bed rack, toolbox, and other mods IMG-1753 (1)

Cheap and worthwhile mod IMO. Drivers side gets the bed cubby, passenger side cubby hole has a floor so you could put some light weight stuff in there, and buy some M6 x10mm male knurl head screws and you have a bootleg cubby for under $7

Ford Maverick Carbonized Gray Maverick w/ bed rack, toolbox, and other mods IMG-1751 (1)

This one do at your own risk and make youre packout look ugly. I wanted a removable tool/storage box - so I could lock things up if needed or temporarily secure tools, because the worst thing about a truck with an open bed is having tools in the back and having to run to the store. I already have several packouts so it made sense for me. Milwaukee packout base mounted to the bed with Jack nuts or rivnuts. Once the toolbox is installed you can't unscrew the base plate or remove/open the box as long as you lock your trunk and mount the base tight to the tailgate. I used 2" button head screws which are plenty long. Will probably install a second plate next to this one. If you do this there's a frame rail near the side so I'd avoid drilling into your frame. Paint afterwards to prevent rust. I'll take the box out if I'm going to a seedy area.

Ford Maverick Carbonized Gray Maverick w/ bed rack, toolbox, and other mods IMG-1752

Ford Maverick Carbonized Gray Maverick w/ bed rack, toolbox, and other mods IMG-1757

Ford Maverick Carbonized Gray Maverick w/ bed rack, toolbox, and other mods IMG-1759

And that's it. 12v coming to the bed next for a rear strobe/tire inflator. Maybe another packout baseplate for the cargo basket, and may buy the elevatate TS rail and bed cover. Ski rack will go on in the winter.
Sponsored

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nothing wrong with this. The beauty of the Maverick is the diversity of use. People design the beds to fit their needs and you did just that. Great job.

B2000

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I like the Packout idea- looks like 2 would fit. Would be handy for groceries also.

OP
OP

maverickeric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 + Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Where did you get the plastic toolbox?
The one I have is the milwaukee packout XL. I believe I bought them on Toolup.com when they had a sale and I got them for $80 each and some discount on the base plates as well. Otherwise they're usually easy to get at $100 from home depot. They don't go on sale too often though

Sponsored

OP
OP

maverickeric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 + Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the Packout idea- looks like 2 would fit. Would be handy for groceries also.
You definitely could fit two side by side. That was my original plan and I ran out of room, will probably still do that. Def. good for groceries since weve banned plastic bags here and I still never seem to remember to bring a bag, so I dump them right from the cart into the bin every so often.
I wouldn't pay full price for this setup, but if you can get it on sale I appreciate the modular and lockable aspect.

EM33

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Datsun L521 / 69 Datsun SRL311
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks great! Also, is that the Clifton Park and Ride? You're not too far from me.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Hoping this is my final form for a little while. I'm downsizing from a F150 8' bed and wanted a vehicle that could do it all without breaking the bank. I work in event production and property maintenance, so enough bed space/hauling was a primary concern, and snow/sand capability was another for my hobbies. When I started to piece together my build I couldn't find anything on the amazon generic bed racks, so hopefully this helps someone out, even though mine is frankensteined together due to a seller error, but still, I'm happy as it cost me $200 for the bed rack, $150 for the cargo basket, so $350 all in for the bed setup.

-Wheels/tires are LP wheels with 245/65/17 BF Goodrich ATs. I haven't had a chance to go offroad yet with them, but I'll say they are heavy and louder than I expected.
-Fog/strobes are Everbrite from Amazon. I haven't needed them on the road yet, got them for snowstorms and strobes for road work. The beam pattern at this location seems decent and shoots the beam wide. Install was a PITA. Passenger side you can barely reach your arm through the wheel well to connect hardware, driver side there's stuff in the way and I had to get creative to bolt the lights up...or just take the bumper off from the start.

I'll drop details as I go

maverick1.jpg

maverick2.jpg

I know it's a crappy shot to show off the bed rack, but it's all I got. The bed rack is the 17" high amazon rack, and thule bars I had to modify since the seller didn't send me the cross bars. Some modifications and it fits snug, and flush with the roofline. The bed rack is more solid than I expected and the thule bars are probably the weak link. Original plan was to extend the bed rack bars above the roofline and get a roof rack above the cab so I can transport ladders/lumber, but Home Depot had this Mockins brand rack on sale and decided to give it a whirl. It brings the ladder above the roofline, extends contact area a bit outside the towers, and I have bonus storage for when I max out the bed, which I wouldn't have with the bed rack/roof rack combo. I think it looks excessive but if the utility is there I'll deal.
IMG-1760 (1).jpg

Back view of cargo basket 63"L x 30somethingW.

IMG-1753 (1).jpg

Cheap and worthwhile mod IMO. Drivers side gets the bed cubby, passenger side cubby hole has a floor so you could put some light weight stuff in there, and buy some M6 x10mm male knurl head screws and you have a bootleg cubby for under $7

IMG-1751 (1).jpg

This one do at your own risk and make youre packout look ugly. I wanted a removable tool/storage box - so I could lock things up if needed or temporarily secure tools, because the worst thing about a truck with an open bed is having tools in the back and having to run to the store. I already have several packouts so it made sense for me. Milwaukee packout base mounted to the bed with Jack nuts or rivnuts. Once the toolbox is installed you can't unscrew the base plate or remove/open the box as long as you lock your trunk and mount the base tight to the tailgate. I used 2" button head screws which are plenty long. Will probably install a second plate next to this one. If you do this there's a frame rail near the side so I'd avoid drilling into your frame. Paint afterwards to prevent rust. I'll take the box out if I'm going to a seedy area.

IMG-1752.jpg

IMG-1757.jpg

IMG-1759.jpg

And that's it. 12v coming to the bed next for a rear strobe/tire inflator. Maybe another packout baseplate for the cargo basket, and may buy the elevatate TS rail and bed cover. Ski rack will go on in the winter.
That looks fantastic, E! Thanks for sharing!

OC-D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@maverickeric - I ended up buying both cubbies for my XL but curious what the inside of your $7 diy cubby looks like, might be useful to post for others who don’t want to give Ford more money.

OP
OP

maverickeric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 + Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@maverickeric - I ended up buying both cubbies for my XL but curious what the inside of your $7 diy cubby looks like, might be useful to post for others who don’t want to give Ford more money.
My $7 "cubby" isnt anything custom aside from the screws. The inside is just open space with no compartments and suitable for bulky light weight things - ie - bungie cargo net, light weight ratchet straps, a tarp would also be good in here. It's an enclosed space with a thin plastic floor from the factory - so I can't stress enough I wouldn't put anything heavy in there. The drivers side opening does not have this bottom plastic piece from the factory, hence the ford cubby on the drivers side.

Sponsored

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Stock suspension with those tires? I'm having some put on tomorrow. Will be my first set of KO2's after years of Toyo's and Wildpeaks. I literally bought them because I thought they look better on these trucks which is something I never do. Thoughts on their performance on road, especially during the wet? I will have dedicated snows for winter.

OP
OP

maverickeric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 + Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Stock suspension with those tires? I'm having some put on tomorrow. Will be my first set of KO2's after years of Toyo's and Wildpeaks. I literally bought them because I thought they look better on these trucks which is something I never do. Thoughts on their performance on road, especially during the wet? I will have dedicated snows for winter.
Yes stock suspension. I'll consider an upgrade and small lift in a few years when the factory warranty expires and there's tried and true setups out there.

On road performance is fine, but I don't beat on the maverick to really test any grip limits. They're just loud IMO. I'm hoping they're suitable in the snow, our weather these past few years has made it hard to justify having dedicated snow tires

Let me know what you think in regards to road noise.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes stock suspension. I'll consider an upgrade and small lift in a few years when the factory warranty expires and there's tried and true setups out there.

On road performance is fine, but I don't beat on the maverick to really test any grip limits. They're just loud IMO. I'm hoping they're suitable in the snow, our weather these past few years has made it hard to justify having dedicated snow tires

Let me know what you think in regards to road noise.
Will do! Great setup btw!

Ferroplasm

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback Onyx XT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Awesome setup. Do you mind sharing a link for the rack?

OP
OP

maverickeric

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 + Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Awesome setup. Do you mind sharing a link for the rack?
I believe this is the one I got or its a 250lb capacity. Home Depot Mockins brand. It goes on sale for $130 every so often under their "buy of the day". The only thing I didn't like is for the center piece the bars in the middle of the basket don't connect (can kind of see it in the picture), so I just connected mine with some leftover conduit for extra support.
Sponsored