Sponsored

Can the Ford Maverick Truck become an Icon?

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Problem with the japanese and korean competitors is the planet bizarro styling. I want a pickup truck that looks like an American pickup truck. Not something that looks like space aliens designed it. Anybody get a load of the hyundai Santa Cruz yet? Got to be the ugliest looking thing from Korea I have layed eyes on yet.

Will Maverick be iconic? Only remains to be seen. Ford has partnered up with a major global semiconductor manufacturer that has 15 factories on 3 continents. I think you will see these computer chip issues go away, and more Mavericks being made.

It also depends on if ford can keep the hype going on this little trucklet. With its payload and trailer tow capacities along with decent price, and a hybrid model that doesnt look like its something from another planet, it seems to be the right vehicle at the right time for a lot of people from young adults, to middle agers, and even retirees.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Problem with the japanese and korean competitors is the planet bizarro styling. I want a pickup truck that looks like an American pickup truck. Not something that looks like space aliens designed it. Anybody get a load of the hyundai Santa Cruz yet? Got to be the ugliest looking thing from Korea I have layed eyes on yet.

Will Maverick be iconic? Only remains to be seen. Ford has partnered up with a major global semiconductor manufacturer that has 15 factories on 3 continents. I think you will see these computer chip issues go away, and more Mavericks being made.

It also depends on if ford can keep the hype going on this little trucklet. With its payload and trailer tow capacities along with decent price, and a hybrid model that doesnt look like its something from another planet, it seems to be the right vehicle at the right time for a lot of people from young adults, to middle agers, and even retirees.
Well put. A reasoned and logical response and I agree completely with your comment about "planet bizarro styling." I also was wanting a pickup that looks like an American design.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is an ass for every seat, and with that being said the Hyundai Santa cruz will get some buyers. There are people who love that bizarre styling. The fact of the matter is the santa cruz is their santa fe cuv made into a pickup. Hyundai testing the waters for a different vehicle without wanting to spend a lot of R&D money to actually make a dedicated pickup truck. The Maverick will no doubt steal a lot of buyers away because of value price, fuel economy, and a traditional truck look. AWD and a trailer tow group w electric brake function helps a lot too. The hyundai doesnt stand a chance except from the general car buying public non enthusiast who either dont know the maverick exists or are just brand loyal to hyundai. GM is going all in on BEVs. They are getting out of gasoline completely. So anything they have in the pipeline now to compete is gonna be at least 3 years away is a non starter. Like the original mustang and chevy having to play catch up with its camaro, the maverick caught em off guard, it will take them at least 3-4 years to catch up. Will offer only a BEV so their sales will suck, and people will still look at the maverick as the benchmark just like the Dodge Grand Caravan is still the benchmark of domestic minivans.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure how many remember the original Taurus. People were used to cheap little Japanese cars or big American cars with lots of options. The Taurus was the first American car with plastic headlights (they were all round or square glass before that, which limits styling).

Taurus came with a ton of options standard. It was the best selling car in America for years, and I think it should be an icon but it's not. It greatly affected the market though.

I think the Maverick will disrupt the market too, if Ford can make enough of them. So much more useful vehicle for the same price as smaller cars. It weighs 400lbs less than an Acura sedan. Better gas mileage than Civic Hybrid.

America already has a love for pickups, but most people need less pickup than were available to buy. The market is ME, someone who loves the utility but doesn't want the usual pickup drawbacks.

Every vehicle is a compromise- whether it's price, performance, size, quality, whatever. I'm willing to compromise "nicer interior" for utility, gas mileage, and low price. I'm betting many many more will too!
Sponsored